1.    #1  
    I am a palm user first and formost..have been since before the original handsrping came out -- dark ages. I have a ton of software I like that is industry specific the commercial real estate field which I am in.

I had a Treo 600 which worked with my contacts database just fine (7200+ contacts and growing rapidly). I switched to a 650 naively, prior to knowing this forum was here. I had all kinds of problems with that same database on the 650, which at this point I don't consider an upgrade, but an annoyance. Apparently the memory handling in the 650 makes the usable memory less than the 600.

Here is my dilemma. The 680 appears to have lots of memory, and I wonder if it will accomodate my database, I know the 600 will. I'd love to have even more memory if it is really usable. I don't want to make the same mistake I did moving to the 650 thinking it was later so it must be an upgrade. The 8525 seems like a great device; lots of memory, UMTS, HSDPA, Bluetooth V2.0, etc., but it's not Palm OS and will it also handle that many contacts? Apparently the TYTN and the 8525 are virtually identical. Ugh....decisions ...decisions. Maybe I'll get the 8525 and 680 and sell the one I don't like/don't need.
    The applications you are using, have they been upgraded to work with the 650/700p operating system? If not, then yes you will have problems. There is an application called Resco Lock that has the capability of "locking" applications into memory and does a pretty good job of reducing resets. Now though, as far as devices, the 650 or the 700p or whatever, you need one with a decent amount of memory - that would be the 680 (GSM) or the 700p (CDMA). I personally recommend the 680 over the 650 - more memory to say the least and with proper memory management, it should do the job well.

If I still used the 650 (my wife uses my old one), I would seriously look at the 680 if I did not want to spend the money for the 700p.

Ben
    You should get the 680 over 650/600 just for resale value reason alone.

About the Tytn, it's your call.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The applications you are using, have they been upgraded to work with the 650/700p operating system? If not, then yes you will have problems. There is an application called Resco Lock that has the capability of "locking" applications into memory and does a pretty good job of reducing resets. Now though, as far as devices, the 650 or the 700p or whatever, you need one with a decent amount of memory - that would be the 680 (GSM) or the 700p (CDMA). I personally recommend the 680 over the 650 - more memory to say the least and with proper memory management, it should do the job well.

If I still used the 650 (my wife uses my old one), I would seriously look at the 680 if I did not want to spend the money for the 700p.

Ben
    Yes, they'll work on the newer models. One additional criterion is that I must have GSM unlocked because I travel. It seems that the only option that is palm-based is the 680. The 700p is CDMA and I can't use that in my scenario...won't work in Europe.

I'd love it if the 750v that is out came out in a Palm OS Version - that would seemingly nail it.

It seems the 680 was an interim phone for the palm-os crowd. The 650 was a big disappointment. It rebooted constantly and until I limited the database records to 70ish, I couldn't make it stable. I'm hoping the 680 won't be the same -- it seems that whatever Palm did to get the non-volatile memoery, severely limited the usable memory as a result.

I have a trip coming up and I ordered the TYTN tonight, since I can get it. I'll try it and see how it works. I can keep you posted on the results. I hope I like it as much as I do Palm OS when Palm OS works. I miss my old 600. Stable, dependable and I very rarely if ever had to reset it. It was tough as well. It took a lot of abuse and kept on ticking.

It didn't occur to me to look online to see if the 650 had bad reviews...or memory management issues, which in retrospect was naive. I found out the stuff about memory management with the new non-volatile memory too late and it doesn't even come close to having as much usable memory as the 600.