1.    #1  
    Well, i'm selling my trusty visor deluxe to a friend of mine, and i was planning on getting the visor edge because of the nice size and mac compatibilty out of the box. I had ruled out the sony clie becuase it didn't support the mac, but now i see http://www.markspace.com/cliemacpack.html has a clie macpack. i'm not sure how well it works, but it now brings the clie into the picture. it's a damn sexy machine, and feels great in your hand, and according to cnet.com, you can get them as cheap as 288 online. at 30 for the macpack, and that's about 330 for everything. compared to 399 for the edge, it sounds great.

has anyone used the clie with the mac? anyone have any info on the whole thing to help me make a decision?
    Well, the price of the Clie is attractive, but I would hate not having the flexibility of the springboard port. While the Clie does have a port, it would seem that 3rd parties aren't really developing for it. Handspring has much more market share, and the developers are definitely aware of that.

By the way is the Macpac a true USB solution, and not a serial to USB converter like the Palm versions?
    i'd personally wait a week (march 19th?) for the M500 series from Palm. I figure the greyscale version should sell for about the same as the Edge (maybe alittle less?) and with OS4 there are some neat features that i've been reading about...(a reviewer mentioned in the beta version there was a menu item in Datebook that allowed you to switch the alarm from sound to vibrate!)

Check out this list

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=1697

of other OS improvements and combined with the SD slot (which i think will receive more attention than the MemoryStick from Sony) and if this thing is priced right, it just might win me over! (i also like the idea of everything in one slim metal case...no sled)

in the long run, i'd wait a week.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Personally, I'd rule out the Clie no matter what else comes out, for reasons of support. If Clie sales aren't up to Sony's expectations, they'll simply drop it from their product line without a second thought.

On the other hand, Handspring & Palm are only in the business of supporting PDA's and are a much better bet, in my opinion.

-cnegrad
    "Jazz is an art in which the risks
    are great, the rewards subtle."
    -Don Grolnick
    this should squash the idea of Sony dropping it:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi...3lfBWrU29ueSB0
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  6.    #6  
    well, the clie does have flash ram...does this mean i could upgrade it to OS 4? does palm charge for OS upgrades, or are they usually a free download?
    Yes, I'd assume it would have to be a Sony-Specific version though. Palm charges $15 to download the upgrade to OS 3.5 & $20 + S&H for a CD. Up until v3.3 the updates were free.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  8.    #8  
    Well, after a 50 dollar rebate from sony and a low price to begin with, i bought the clie online as well as the mac pack. we'll see how it shapes together. i would like the option to upgrade to 4.0 if possible. i do like the style of the clie, but i don't like the fact that it doesn't have a screen cover built in. does anyone know of any 3rd party options? i don't really need a case, but something to protect the screen while in my pocket. something thin--i know what your thinking-- "you mean like the visor edge has?"

i'm still a handspring fan. my first PDA experience was very good with them. and i thought they had good customer service.
    my bigest problem with the clie is that you can't get a keyboard of any kind for it. but with the introduction of the new palms, i think that the benifits of the existing clie will quickly disaper, but the new one will be great.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories