Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I Believe!

Can't Wait. I might have to open the PPR earlier than I thought.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Hey Sept,
    Any clues at all on what this device might be able to do?
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    A quote from the article:

"I’ll give you a couple clues. I always think of mobile computing as personal computing. This long-term vision has led us through everything — first the organizers and now through the smart phone space. It’s like everything a personal computer is. Continue down that path. What are the implications of a world where everyone has a super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket and many gigabytes of storage, super-fast processors, audio, visual and multimedia? What are the consequences of that? How will that change computing when you have all that stuff available to you all the time? I try to think into the future. That’s how we come up with new products. So I’m not going to tell you what it is, but it’s following the consequences of mobile computing."

But before we get too crazy about specs and abilities -- remember it has to be priced to the market.

Cheers, Perry.
    This has certainly got my attention! I have always been one to think that we are getting far less than is available with today's technology.

It would also be nice to see Palm take a step back into leading industry with innovation instead of riding on past accomplishments.
    So I'm guessing it will be like an Ipod with a large screen similar to the Zune with gigs of space for storage and working at the same time as a Treo with phone features and internet access. All this connected to a main server similar to Xbox Live where you can get a whole bunch of things and connect to other people. At the same time it will have a camera, bluetooth, WiFi and run the latest ACCESS ALP OS. The interface is going to be very nice with a resemble of the Palm OS.

Good job Jeff,

Al
    PDA Phone Internet Entertainment

QUATRO !!
    Whatever it is, it's gonna be huge. Look at the 2 products before this one, the Palm Pilot, and the Treo. I'm thinking it will be a natural progression from the Treo, just as the Treo was from the Palm Pilot.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I don't know what the next step is but the write-up immediately reminded me of the Sony UX180P microcomputer. That link is to an Engadget write-up (finally, a review!).

Among the many things I like about that computer is the fact that it has a full version of the XP operating system. It's not a mobile or mini or micro version. It's the same one many of us have at home.

It's got its drawbacks, but a device like that is a lot like what I ultimately want to have in my pocket or on my hip (so to speak).

By the way, one of those drawbacks is that it doesn't come with an optical drive.
    I was also reminded of the Sony UX180P microcomputer. Or maybe a smaller version of a UMPC device that will fit in your pocket. Whatever it is, I cannot wait to hear more about it! I already know that I've got to have one!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I hope he goes for a smaller form factor. Clamshell?
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    It would be cool if it was one of the first to utilitize the flexible and bendable VGA screens that we will start to see in the 1-2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I hope he goes for a smaller form factor. Clamshell?
    My gut response and reaction is "Blech."

Clamshells, for me, aren't just a pain in the arse with the need to open and close them, hoping that you don't accidentally disconnect the call, etc. They also mean that there's another moving part there, a hinge, that leaves the unit that much more vulnerable.

I know folks are kinda used to the clamshell design, but I don't think it's beneficial enough to warrant a return to the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    PDA Phone Internet Entertainment

QUATRO !!
    Well you have the 4-over concept correct but take it a different direction. The "QUATRO" will be based on the number of ways it can connect to different places to give you access to your information - cellular network, personal network (also pico network), wide area network and new Palm based network. This will finally be inline with their goals (as stated at the Treo 650 introduction anyway) of moving away from the phones dependency on desktop support, ie: daily syncing.

This new device's big feature will be that it is always in sync - having access to any of your pertinent content at anytime.

The tragedy?!? They waited to long and Apple will trump them with their 3-years-in-the-making concept that will win based on timing of delivery and its accessability (UI).

Microsoft will then release their version, once they have a chance to copy... errr, see what it is... I mean, once they have finished innovating on their platform and the only thing that will be different is that everyone will have a little smaller share of the market due to Apple.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    My speculation is that it is going to be a remote control to a server, with hi res monitor, keyboard and radio. Nothing else. All the computing and processing, storage, software, etc is going to be on the main server, owned and controlled by PALM. Its going to be a subscription based service, so the company could have recurring revenues, like RIM. So basically its a TREO, extremely light, thin, with days of battery life and super fast and powerful, and one more thing, its Linux based.
    My speculation is that it is going to be a remote control to a server, with hi res monitor, keyboard and radio. Nothing else. All the computing and processing, storage, software, etc is going to be on the main server, owned and controlled by PALM. Its going to be a subscription based service, so the company could have recurring revenues, like RIM. So basically its a TREO, extremely light, thin, with days of battery life and super fast and powerful, and one more thing, its Linux based.
    You say what I think of it as well.
    However, there are holes in where we both are thinking about this, and I believe that services such as Avvenu and Google might hold the key to where it could work.

Let's see. Palm = Hand right
    Could the new device be something as simple as a device that is as easy to use as writing on your hand, but then have a handle on the things we most want to be connected to. Given the right network, that could be kinda neat.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    ............It would also be nice to see Palm take a step back into leading industry with innovation instead of riding on past accomplishments.
    Since the release of Pearl, RIMM stock is up 70%. In the same period, Palm has announced four variations of the Treo and is flat near its 52 week low. While it is never too late for Jeff, Palm has missed the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Reminds me of the electrically powered two-wheeled device, whose name now escapes me, that was going to revolutionize transportation as we know it.

That said, I tend to agree that nothing currently on the horizon seems to fully exploit cheap (used advisedly*) broadband wireless infrastructure, dense, tiny, cheap storage (price falling faster than computing power), improved display technology, and faster, cheaper, more power efficient processors. We begin to see the outline of WWWII, in which the meta-data moves with the data and facilitates inter-operation of mutually agnostic applications. Quo Vadis?

[*Those of us who thought that the Star-Trek communicator was science fiction cannot help but chuckle when we hear people complain about $80- a month for wireless broadband. I like to remind them that my first cell-phone was the size and weight of a brick and cost $1500-, that connect-time was a $1- per minute, plus tolls plus roaming. We did not tell people our cell phone number because use was so expensive. My bill was usually $400+ per month.]
    If it's made by Palm and gonna be released next year, then expect it around 2020.
    Sounds like UMPC to me. We'll see
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast