Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I remember thinking it was the LifeDrive, but Palm kept talking about this third business line long after the LifeDrive was released. So even if the LifeDrive was it originally, there's still something new coming.

Note that Palm hasn't even confirmed that this new business is a device.
    If it is a subscription based service to storage gigs and content, I am not sure how interested I will be. I have the monthly bill for cable TV. I have the monthly bill for cable Internet. I have the monthly bill for my Treo's Internet access (and my daughter's).

I do not need another information access billing. However, from a revenue standpoint from Palm's view point -- that type of thing would have to look appealing and lucrative. . . . . . . becoming the AOL/GOOGLE of the wireless world. . . . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Since the release of Pearl, RIMM stock is up 70%. In the same period, Palm has announced four variations of the Treo and is flat near its 52 week low. While it is never too late for Jeff, Palm has missed the window.
    Agree with that. Having recently become a BB user (not by choice - was forced into it kicking and screaming by our IT dept.) I would never dream of going back to Treos. As a globe-trotting corporate user the BBs are a dream - never crashed in the last 16 months - worked flawlessly across three continents - always got my phone calls, emails, appointments anywhere anytime.

As for the Pearl - it's awesome - does everything my T650 could do and better (especially the phone/email part) - built-in Voicedial, BT 2.0, 1.3 MP camera, upto 2GB microSD, MP3/video playback plus the famous BB reliability. As a bonus - I don't have to carry a brick in my holster but an incredibly slim smartphone (slimmer than a closed RAZR) that has a terrific battery life. Of course the downside is that there is not a lot of third party applications - but perhaps that's also the reason it's so stable.

There is no point in launching a cool (and almost revolutionary) new device such as the Treo and not perfect it so that it becomes the standard (as the iPod did). wh is right -Palm missed the boat - and given their track record with the Treo I'm very skeptical that they would do any better with the next new device.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Thin client is fine -- but I STILL WANT ENOUGH HORSEPOWER AND MEMORY on my side to work offline. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.

hell yes, perry.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAluver View Post
    I was also reminded of the Sony UX180P microcomputer. Or maybe a smaller version of a UMPC device that will fit in your pocket. Whatever it is, I cannot wait to hear more about it! I already know that I've got to have one!
    That's what i'm thinking as well, that would really be a major leap for palm.......we'll have to wait and see!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Jeff has said that data will eventually be free. Does this mean potentially free VOIP calls over Palm servers? They probably want to create the communication device of the future which may mean tying VOIP with hardware -- kind of setting up their own telephony/internet/everything communicating data device. Maybe it even includes downloading movies and music. This thing would need a camera for video calls as well. Of course the question is input method. Perhaps a detachable BT keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot View Post
    Jeff has said that data will eventually be free.
    I think that we will continue to pay for both bandwidth and content. I expect the cost of bandwidth to drop (but our bills will stay the same because we will use more) and the cost of content to rise; content is where the value is.
    I have moved on to the Sony UX 90 with 32 gb flash memory (solid state drive) and 1 gb ram. I have (had?) kinda given up on palm to excite me (waited too long and been burned too many times with "micro" upgrades). The UX 90 isn't prefect either. I love the treo keyboard; the UX keyboard is a joke compared to it. But with usb rev A modems from sprint coming out next month with speed many times faster than current evdo and bluetooth and wifi, well, that is hard to beat. But I still use my treo 700p too. I still like the instant on (no booting up...)and the keyboard of the treo.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    A UMPC from Palm that runs on Sprint WiMax - sweet!!!

Samsung is releasing a device next year to run on the Sprint WiMax network that sounds like a UMPC (SPH-9000)
    I've video recorded most of the event that I'll put online soon. Meanwhile, check out the audio recording and the blurb i wrote about the event on ubergizmo.com.
    I suspect that Palm is betting heavily on the ubiquity of wireless broadband to deliver a device that is almost entirely server-centric. Its also quite possible that they are looking at a communication methodology that takes them away from the traditional, national cellphone network carriers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I suspect that Palm is betting heavily on the ubiquity of wireless broadband to deliver a device that is almost entirely server-centric. Its also quite possible that they are looking at a communication methodology that takes them away from the traditional, national cellphone network carriers...
    Perhaps. However, the momentum, at least in the US, is in favor of those carriers. No one, seems to be able to make money out of Wi-Fi and mobile Wi-Max is still a dream. If one is looking for ubiquitous wireless broadband, one need look no further than Sprint and Verizon, and perhaps no where else.
    Has anyone considered a tie-in with Google?

Google is afterall, rumored to be developing a Web-based "operating system". A plam device could be made to interface with that OS while mobile. The googlemaps tweaking with the 680, the palm server side employment offers, google's plan to conquer the world....
    Quote Originally Posted by redgeek View Post
    Has anyone considered a tie-in with Google?

Google is afterall, rumored to be developing a Web-based "operating system". A plam device could be made to interface with that OS while mobile. The googlemaps tweaking with the 680, the palm server side employment offers, google's plan to conquer the world....
    Interesting idea. Do you suppose this idea is keeping the microsofties up at night?
    The news is spreading about Palm new secret device that Hawkins is developing.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...m3&btnG=Search
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Interesting idea. Do you suppose this idea is keeping the microsofties up at night?
    This may be just one of many fronts in a building escalation of an impending war:

Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/26/2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Just speculating here but could this new site Palm launched today have something to do with Jeff Hawkins new device? I read a lot about Palm hiring server engineers and web people in the last year. You can read about that here:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...crets-exposed/
    This may be a stretch but could all the problesm w/lack of fix for the 700p have something to do with Hawkins new device? I mean come on, Tarzan and Cheeta could run Palm better than these guys.

There has to be something big going on at Palm w/this new secret device and perhaps Palm has put all their energy into that and really doesnt have time for anything else including the 700p bugs. Since Michael Mace said Ed confirmed this device will be released in 2007 we know its real and maybe Palm knows this thing will be so revolutionary that we will all forget about the 700p bugs for a while till their fixed?

If this is their strategy the new device better be a big hit or it may be curtains for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    This may be a stretch but could all the problesm w/lack of fix for the 700p have something to do with Hawkins new device? I mean come on, Tarzan and Cheeta could run Palm better than these guys.

There has to be something big going on at Palm w/this new secret device and perhaps Palm has put all their energy into that and really doesnt have time for anything else including the 700p bugs. Since Michael Mace said Ed confirmed this device will be released in 2007 we know its real and maybe Palm knows this thing will be so revolutionary that we will all forget about the 700p bugs for a while till their fixed?

If this is their strategy the new device better be a big hit or it may be curtains for Palm.
    Highly doubtful. They're spending like a company that has matured, not one that is investing heavily in R&D. (Buying back stock, opening new retail store in NYC, spending more on 680 marketing).

I'm quite worried with all the problems that have emerged along the relatively minor 600-650-700 upgrade path. I'm not at all convinced that they could do a new Palm OS and get it right. That's why I think the new super device will be WM only and probably a tad disappointing.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast