Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The guy who did the interview with Ed used to work for Palm:

About Me
    Name:Michael Mace
    I'm a technology guy working as a principal at Rubicon Consulting, where we help tech companies solve solve tough strategy and marketing problems. Drop by and sign up for our newsletter. I'm former Chief Competitive Officer and VP of Product Planning at Palm, VP of Strategic Marketing at PalmSource, director of Mac Platform Marketing at Apple, and a lot of other roles. For more info on me, visit my website.

http://www.mikemace.com/
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    ...VP of Strategic Marketing at PalmSource...
    Hmm, he might not want to advertise that fact
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Let us discect:

Couple clues = That's two right

Mobile computing = personal computing

Everything a personal computer is = super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket and many gigabytes of storage, super-fast processors, audio, visual and multimedia

Here are the clues (questions really):

What are the consequences of having everything available in Mobile computing?

What follows the consequences of mobile computing?

ps. Wonder if this has anything to do with the work at Numenta. Having everything available all the time may be a bit overwhelming to organizational schemes in current memory models. Wouldn't it be nice if my "personal" computing know more about me and what I want and when... than it does now?
    I call UMPC, as well. I'm excited for more details, but I can't see pocketing one of those things. Time will tell.
    Well what I want is a mini thin client computer. If I have broadband everywhere then why can't I have my hardcore number crunching done elsewhere?

Why can't I have all my files - everything I need with me all the time.

More over I really want something that I could plug into any computer and now its my computer. The computer that I hooked into responds exactly as if were my office computer - whereever I am.

Thats what I want. And since I wanted a Palm before it came out and Treo before it came out maybe Jeff has found a way to create this?
    The story gives me the impression of a mobile thin client, with emphasis on input and output (ie, keyboard, pretty touchscreen, as many radios as possible) rather than pure processing power. Yes, graphics will still need to be processed, but I read the interview as NOT a UMPC.
    Finally, a palm with 3G and wifi

Something like the Nokia 770?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Reminds me of the electrically powered two-wheeled device, whose name now escapes me, that was going to revolutionize transportation as we know it.
    LOL the Segway scooter. I remember that. They managed to set off a media frenzy with their big "secret", everyone speculating that it was a car that ran on water or some such.

I bet this secret device is a powerful handheld computer but in order to save pocket space and pack everything in to a Treo-sized package, it has a head-up display rather than a screen, or a tiny internal projector that can cast a screen anywhere. Just a stab in the dark...
    Jeff Hawkin's lasting legacy will be to come up with the uber device that finally satisfies the longings of all those desperate housewives out there whose husbands and boyfriends have lost ALL interest in them due to their "geeking-out" over the next greatest "handheld" thing.

Remember these 2 key clues that Hawkins poses for us in the form of questions:

What are the consequences of having everything available in Mobile computing?

What follows the consequences of mobile computing?

Think about it guys...just where is YOUR "Handheld?"

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    LOL the Segway scooter.............
    That was it. Did not replace the bicycle, much less the car. Palm has hype, RIMM has buzz.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    My vote is in for the UMPC as well

1) Ultra enhanced 480 x 480 hi res screen geared for high quality streaming multimedia. Video quality will be stunning, possibly comparable to the psp.
    It will probably be able to rotate around to reveal the underlying keyboard.

2) Seamless downloads of music, tv, and movie content wirelessly. I wouldnt be surprised if you will be able to watch HBO, Showtime, and all of your regular cable channels from this phone

3) VOIP - voice over internet? Place calls over the internet while surfing the web.

4) Hawkins will probably implement some type of memory feature which learns how you input data or use the phone, and might somehow tailor the way the phone or pda functions according to your personal usage. His pursuit of thinking machines will probably lead to an OS which reflects that research. This will truly be fascinating if he can pull it off.

I can see the mystery device being called the quattro or something along those lines.
    Features like that will probably require a large amount of onboard memory as well as an extremely fast processor. we will see.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I also agree about the server based functionality here. sync cables may no longer be necessary. who knows?

once you enter data in, its stored in the onboard ram and also on a server's databanks, so you can never lose it unless you delete it yourself.

I also agree that google and avvenu services will probably be playing a key role here.

you may see google-type search engines or services like this bundled into the PIM applications themselves - for mapping landmarks near the personal contact you've just entered into your contact list, for example.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I also think that it will be a UMPC device. It will hopefully run ALP, be fully connected (WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, Edge, GRPS, GPS), have VGA resolution as a minimum, but be able to connect to an external monitor with better resolution, and a large flash drive.
    I think that it will allow sync to PC or Palm Server and will function independantly from a PC. Users will be able to download and install files on the go more easily than now, so with that and wireless sync to a server, there may be less need for a PC at home anymore.
    If my wish is true then I will be queuing up for one of these.

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8559

As we now know, HTC is coming out with a connected UMPC next year. Looks like Palm will be beaten to the punch once again.

People who are asking for constantly connected thin clients, remember the battery hit being connected to high speed data and exchanging high volumes of data constantly will cause. For a device to have an 8 hour constantly connected battery life its going to need a rather large battery, so very thin "thin" clients are out. From a battery life POV local processing and storage may be more battery efficient, especially for multi-media like music or video.

Personally I think the new branch at Palm is/has been the LifeDrive, which has of course completely flopped.

I’ll give you a couple clues. I always think of mobile computing as personal computing. This long-term vision has led us through everything — first the organizers and now through the smart phone space. It’s like everything a personal computer is. Continue down that path. What are the implications of a world where everyone has a super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket {WIFI} and many gigabytes of storage {4GB} , super-fast processors {at 416 Mhz the lifedrive had the fastest Palm processor ever}, audio, visual and multimedia? {The lifedrive's Raison D'Etre} What are the consequences of that? How will that change computing when you have all that stuff available to you all the time? I try to think into the future. That’s how we come up with new products. So I’m not going to tell you what it is, but it’s following the consequences of mobile computing.
    Remember, when this interview was recorded BEFORE the lifedrive was announced, but was published afterwards, which confused people. Palm's new line WAS the LifeDrive.

Afterward I asked him if we'll see next year the secret project that Jeff Hawkins has been working on. "Yes," he said, and moved immediately to another question.
    Ed's throw away one word statement at a leading question was probably a lot more avoidant than tantalizing. He wasnt going to admit the great new project has turned out to be the rather dead LifeDrive. Its amazing how much is hung on that one word which Ed so casually threw out.

Surur
    I've no idea what it is but if it really does exist I'm betting it will be too small to replace my laptop and too big to carry around all day. Personally I have no use for these big little computers (LifeDrive) or little big computers (UMPCs) and I'm wondering if I'm not so unusual - much of present company excepted of course . Does anyone have sales figures for the current generation of UMPCs? At best they seem to me like a very niche product; at worst they seem like an expensive solution to problems that can mostly be solved with a smartphone or PDA, or which you'd be better off using a laptop for anyway.

That said, I'm more than willing to be surprised by a 'Wow! I never knew I needed that' device. Chances of Palm doing this? I guess it's possible, but given that it took them three years to take the fugly great external antenna off the Treo and that they still haven't added Wifi, I'm not holding my breath.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Can any of the umpc, upc, asap, pdq, uxmc, whatevers you folks are citing/talking about make a phone call that's nice and clear with great reception???

Maybe some of these do, but I didn't see mention of call quality and signal strength on any of the cited reviews/product info pages...

Seriously, I know nothing of these mini/micro computers, but how on earth could the next evolution of these things not be something a 15 y.o. girl can slip in the back pocket of her jeans and IM and call all her friends with??? (Yes, I know it won't be at that price point straight off, but we all know that it will eventually get there).

People seem to think it will just be a faster, smaller computer exactly like we have now... too narrowminded IMHO.

I do think that pocket thin client idea makes a lot of sense. You'd buy a subscription to your preferred OS(es) of choice, pop it on and be connected through ultra high-speed wireless broadband to a computer with more apps, space and speed than you could ever afford, running your OS(es) with 24/7 troubleshooting, support and optimization and all current app upgrades.

Google would seem perfect to be all over this...

All of the phone function/contacts and maybe a Treo-like amount of memory would be available for local apps/files when you aren't "hooked in" to the server. PDA type data (contacts, calendar, etc) will be current on the handheld and auto synced/backed up to the server on connection (in the background) since you wouldn't count on the server to be able to get to that vital info.

Get to your desk at work and plug it into the docking station with monitor and keyboard that's connected to your office network to access data while still running the OS off the server (your company could even have their own set of OSes for subscription that are secure and controlled by the company) and you've got your work machine, office and cell phone, PDA, broadband connection, secure VPN client, etc. etc. all in one machine that fits in your pocket with 100% automatic backup. Kill or lose it and you just flip on another one, stick your SIM card or whatever in it and the first time you turn it on you're exactly where you were the last time you connected to the network.

That's my idea of a revolution in mobile/home/office computing, smartphones, umpcs...

Well, it was fun to write anyway even if you all think it's hooey
    Treo 755P
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    PDA Phone Internet Entertainment

QUATRO !!
    I'm thinking all of that with a huge hard drive 100gig for media. But, here would be the kicker, a slingbox type connection to your home pc, workstation, or slingbox. It would need 3-G data speed. It may have Wi-Fi, but won't be limited to it. Add GPS and you have the next-gen all-in-one device!

Would it then be the Quintile or the Pente?

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Surur; Interesting post, but I think you missed something:
    So I’m not going to tell you what it is, but it’s following the consequences of mobile computing.
    If any of us can answer this, we can see the new device and not try to define the hardware as being the answer to this question. It's clearly not just the hardware (isn't your brain more than just greymatter, there is software, expected/unexpected workflow, etc); so the real answer to what his device is would lie in this answer, not just what Surur highlighted (IMO).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Surur; Interesting post, but I think you missed something:

If any of us can answer this, we can see the new device and not try to define the hardware as being the answer to this question. It's clearly not just the hardware (isn't your brain more than just greymatter, there is software, expected/unexpected workflow, etc); so the real answer to what his device is would lie in this answer, not just what Surur highlighted (IMO).
    Palm's secret sauce has always been software based, but if you read the Hawkins quote its all about improved hardware (more storage, higher speeds networks, faster processors). If he was implying new software he may have said something like

Think of the consequences of new algorithms which anticipate what you are going to do next, that understand what you are saying, that makes you appointments for you and orders milk when you run out.. etc etc.
    Thats software, not hardware.

Surur
    (not disagreeing with you Surur, just trying to see things as you are)

I dont know that he would have said more than what he did if it were hardware and software. I see it as the LD, but with software that works. But not everything local as well. Me dunno. But every time this quote is brought to a new news item I tend to think about the consequences of being mobile (hence I write a lot about being mobile as to what it means for ministers/missionaries) and where that can take a person who doesn't have to think about OS, space to save, or workflow.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Thin client is fine -- but I STILL WANT ENOUGH HORSEPOWER AND MEMORY on my side to work offline. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast