Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was looking to get back into the Treo world but since the 8525 was released today, I was considering picking it up. I was wondering do you think it is worth buying over the 750? I like the form factor of the Treo but then again, I don't want to continue to wait since my 9300 is really getting to me right now.

So should I wait or should I just pick up the 8525.
    Options:

Pick up the 8525, try it for 30 days.
    Make sure you confirm with who you buy it with that you can return it within 30 days.

or:
    Order the 750v NOW from phonesourceusa.com

or:
    Wait until the 750 for cing comes out.
    (which rumors have it; Not this year.)
    Just call me Berd.
    I just ordered the 8525 through the Premier site....don't know if that saved me any money.

I'm still not 100% sold on this 750v....it might be headed for eBay.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I currently own the Treo 750v and love it. I am also looking forward already to my next device. I have owned the 750v since the importers got them (CTI-Miami in my case). So I have had it for about a month. I have been calling around today to find a Cingular store that got the 8525's in. None have received them yet. Most expect shipments of phones this afternoon. I will give the 8525 a spin for 30 days. The only way to test a device is to try it. Who knows, I might be back on the 750v after a few days. I never used a slide out keyboard and have owned all Treo's. So I might find I am a little biased without knowing it yet.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Brian...

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Have always been drawn to the Treo form factor...just bought the 750v last week...getting used to WM....but interested in the test drive for the 8525.

Since I got the 750v under market value, I could easily get my investment back.
    At this point, I may even try the BlackJack.
    Just call me Berd.
    Has anyone seen or have been told by the store that the 8525 is actually in stock. Every store I call around here does not have it yet.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    There is a post in the 750 forum about a person who went from a 650 to a 8125 to a 750 and talks about why. That would be a good post of info for the OT:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=128904

Hope that helps.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Seems to me the biggest differences are form factor vs. WiFi and GPS.
    i have the 750V and the BlackJack both are superb I am hugely biased towards non-slideout devices.
    i tried three slideouts and they all went back in a week.

i found that the keyboard is used alot more than you think and when u need it ... u need it... no time for sliding out the keyboard and flipping the device etc
    As I posted in another thread here, the keyboard frustrated me on the 8525 after TWO days. Text messaging is a complete nuisance with it, so if you do a fair amount of texting as I do, the 8525 is not for you.

How do you compare the Blackjack and the 750v? I know my 8525 is going back.
    I was in a Cingular store today that had a demo unit of the 680. I currently have an 8525. Holding the 680, which has the same basic set up keyboard and screen wise as the 750, I am wondering how I would go back to a Treo. I have been using a BB 8700 which has a great keyboard and even though the 8525 is a slider, the keyboard is fantastic. Holding the 680 I still know Iwill get a 750 for a test drive but I may end up staying with my 8525.
    whats your point? sorry...
    Sorry.....my point is based on my usage of the 8525 and it's keyboard, I am not sure I could easily make the jump back to a cramped small keyed Treo. The 8525 is light years ahead of the 8125. The more I use it the more I love it.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    After 6 months of having an 8125, you get immune to sliding out the keyboard. I was playing with my sister's (used to me my) Treo 650 a few days ago. When I went to send an SMS, I naturally turned the Treo sideways and pushed where I would've pushed for the keyboard, nearly dropping it.

Once you get used to any form factor, it's hard to switch. I do like the Treo's shell, though. I'm not quite sure what I want to buy for my next device. This 8125 was supposed to last me for at least a year, but it has been temporarily replaced by a nokia.. 6010. Sliiiight step backwards.
    I am finding these comparison threads very helpful. I am currently using the Treo 750v and was thinking (or going to) buy the 8525. I have not seen it in person, so these personal reviews are great. i did however check out the Blackjack. I really, really liked it. I had the Q when it came out and actually thought that was good as well. My struggles had been email access to my works Blackberry/Notes servers. Everything came together (finally) when I got the 750 & Blackberry Connect. So since WM5 Smartphone does not have BB Connect yet, the Q and Blackjack won't help my situation. Which is too bad since I like the Blackjack. I should be able to use BB Connect with the 8525 as its the same OS as my 750. I am just hoping I find the slide out keyboard useful and not counter productive. The Treos/Blackberry/Q/Blackjack, etc. have always been the ideal format for a smartphone, but I think there are benefits to the slide out as I read in these threads.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have had the T-mobile Dash for about a month. I previously had the Treo 650 with Sprint for a couple of years. My take on the Dash is this. I am not happy with their data service, Edge, and its also expensive ($30 per month plus $5 for text messaging). I am thinking about going back to Sprint and get the Treo 700wx or getting the Cingular 8525. The 8525 is supposed to be top of the line smart phone.

How would anyone compare the 8525 to the 700wx? Thx.
    I have been an owner of a plethora of phones and platforms... From Symbian 60, to Windows Mobile, to Palm, to a host of unnamables... I have to say that I shared the same questions and decisions in this forum when choosing my next phone.

I was doubting between BlackJack, 8525, Treo 700w... and even the Nokia E62... I played with them all and asked for copious feedback.

My final and surprising selection: Treo 680... I am so pleased with it I bought my wife a second one.

I learnt the same important lesson I did with digital cameras. A Casio with 10 Megapixels takes worst pictures than a Nikon with 7... It is not about features, it is about field knowledge and User Experience.

The Treo 680, with all its lesser qualities (No WI-Fi, no Bluetooth 2.0, no high-res camera) does a wonderful job at feeling snappy, light form factor (if not slim), easy to use, and uncomplicated out-of-the-way interface (That is: Beautiful)

You may think that Wi-Fi is truly important... But I say that the ability to refuse a call with an automated polite text is more. You may be wondering if bluetooth 2.0 has potential, but I say that a seamless integration between messaging (email, text) and camera function for a two-click experience has even more.

I dunno, it may be that in my thirties i am geeking out considerably... But after struggling for days wrestling other platforms to comply... the easy install and smooth connection between my Palm, my PC, and my Mac is starting to make more sense (And I save 200 bucks)

I hope my 2-cents helps.

A happy Palm user.
    Last edited by DahveedGR; 11/29/2006 at 11:04 AM.
    It's really not a bad choice. I remember going back to the Palm OS for a bit (from WM5 & BB) and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I believe the simplicity and being sooooo familiar with the OS made it seem like the no brainer. However, that wore off and I am back on the WM5 OS and loving the features that were missing on the POS. The most recent change I had was going from the Treo 750 to the Cingular 8525. I still own both, until I really give the 8525 a real chance. I love both, but the Treo form factor is by far the best (IMO). It just feels natural in my hand. The 8525 has a good size, but the contours are nothing like the Treo's. Looking at my signature, you can see I owned them all and I always found myself going back to the Treo. whether it's the WM5 or POS versions. I am finding 3rd party apps and hacks allow me to customize the 8525 to my needs, but I find myself trying to make it like a Treo. Go figure :-)
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've heard some good responses. Thanks to all for them. I went to Cingular the other day and held the 680 and the 8525. I must agree that the Treo felt very comfortable in one hand. However, I did order the 8525 and except shipment tomorrow. I'm driving my wife crazy, but when it comes to my PDA I am very picky. I have 30 days to try it, so if I don't like it I will definately go back to Palm. It kind of stinks that Sprint does not have the 680 as their data plan is faster and cheaper than the EDGE that Cingular has.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast