Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I had treo 650, got the 8525, returned it within 30 days, went back to my 650, dropped the 650 on the floor, went back to get the 8525. I think the 8525 is great, however there's one thing that I hate is that when u put the phone down, it rests on the camera!

Anyway, i was told that the 750 is coming out in Feb 2007, and they had a demo unit there.

I might have to return the 8525 again if I like the 750... but 8525 is great tho, no doubt now that my 650 is shattered.
    wait for the 750 you'll be happy you did
    Jimmie Geddes
    I will... I think the Treo's form factor is just unbeatable.

Assuming I'm a Treo 650 diehard fan and just getting to know WM5, can people with both the 8525, and Treo 750 share with me these points?:

1) Do yo miss the larger screen of the 8525?
    2) Do you miss Roller button on the left side of the 8525?
    3) Is the screen of the 750 really that much better?
    4) Do you really use the WIFI option on the 8525 that much, now that we have 3G? (or going to have 3g on 750?)
    5) Keyboard layout, symbols, etc on 8525 vs 750?

One thing I don't like about 8525 is that I find myself dirtying up the screen more often, especially when making phone calls....

Help me decide!!!!

Thanks...
    I had the TyTn (same as the 8525) for a week before I returned it. The slide out keyboard drove me nuts. And, the phone was pretty unusable. It's basically a small PC that can make calls. What I want is a one handed phone that do do e-mails and small web browsing. The treo does that best, IMHO. The Palm based Treos are best for that but the WM5 ones work OK once you get used to them.
    I agree with @Globetrotter. They keyboard on the 8525 is great for two handed use, but not so much one handed. It was driving me nuts just trying to lookup contacts when using the phone. Don't get me wrong, the 8525 is a nice device. I just missed the form factor of the Treo and how Palm implemented all the ease-of-use features.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Thanks for the inputs guys...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    After destroying my 650 and learning that my company would no longer support Palm-based devices, I looked at the specifications of the Treo 750 and the 8525. In the end, I decided that the 8525 was better and picked that unit, which arrived last Wednesday. OK, here's a quick review based on5 days with the 8525 and 15 minutes with a Treo (the latter was in the store, limiting my use, today):

TREO 750: The on/off button is easy to access one handed. The one on the 8525 is harder to use.

TREO 750: Just turn on and dial. 8525 needs two buttons to dial: one to turn on and one to switch to phone mode.

TREO 750: Can use keypad one handed almost as easily as using 8525 keyboard two handed.

TREO 750: Keyboard backlit so can use in low light. The 8525 is invisible at night.

TREO 750: Can be charged with commonly available cables (Treo/Palm adapters are available in many stores). 8525 needs special adapter which is hard to find (not carried by CINGULAR), which works with standard mini USB cables.

TREO 750: Feels more secure one-handed, with rubberised sides. 8525 top and bottom slide apart (for keyboard) too easily, making it less secure one-handed.

TREO: Mini SD while the 8525 uses the lower capacity Micro SD.

8525: Bigger screen (almost double the size of the Treo, 240x320 resolution versus 240x240)

8525: WiFi, but I'm not sure how useful that will be: when I travel, I normally have a laptop with me.

8525: Better Bluetooth (v2) so more devices at once (Treo only v1.2.).

8525: Better camera: more pixels (2 versus 1.4), flash and manual focus rather than fixed. But, still not a good camera.

Overall, the Trio better if primary use is a phone, 8525 better if primary use is browser or pocket PC. I plan on talking to my IS department tomorrow in the hope of returning the 8525 and getting a Trio 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipacmm View Post
    I was looking to get back into the Treo world but since the 8525 was released today, I was considering picking it up. I was wondering do you think it is worth buying over the 750? I like the form factor of the Treo but then again, I don't want to continue to wait since my 9300 is really getting to me right now.

So should I wait or should I just pick up the 8525.
    I would go with the 8525. It is basically preference though as they are both really great machines. I just like the slide out keyboard for easy typing.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post

TREO 750: Keyboard backlit so can use in low light. The 8525 is invisible at night.

TREO 750: Can be charged with commonly available cables (Treo/Palm adapters are available in many stores). 8525 needs special adapter which is hard to find (not carried by CINGULAR), which works with standard mini USB cables.

TREO: Mini SD while the 8525 uses the lower capacity Micro SD.

The 8525 has a sensor on the keyboard that by default only turns on the backlight in low light conditions. In low light conditions the keyboard is bright blue.

The 8525 can be charged/synced with a standard mini-usb cables. Much more common than a Treo charger.

2GB micro sds are out now. 4gb have been announced and are on the way.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    The 8525 has a sensor on the keyboard that by default only turns on the backlight in low light conditions. In low light conditions the keyboard is bright blue.

The 8525 can be charged/synced with a standard mini-usb cables. Much more common than a Treo charger.

2GB micro sds are out now. 4gb have been announced and are on the way.
    OK, then the backlight on mine was broken - it was pretty dark (in the car at night, without interior lights on) when I went to use the keyboard and found that I couldn't read the keys.

The 8525 may use mini-USB cables, but it can't do so without the special adapter. I wanted to be able to charge at home, work, or the car, which either meant carrying the adapter all the time or buying more: Cingular doesn't sell the adapter and one is not included if you buy an extra cable or car charger. After a lot of searching, I found one on Mobileplanet.com, but it shouldn't be that hard, and still means that I'd be stuck if I left the adapter at home on a trip. With the Treo, you can buy a standard Palm charger at most office supply or big box stores.

2 GB micro SD cards may be out, but I'm sure the mini ones are easier to find and cheaper.

I'm glad I switched to the Treo 750 and love being able to do most things from the Today screen - I'm finding that the smaller screen is not much of an issue.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I've now had the Treo for 24 hours and I'm very happy I made the switch. The 750 feels much more secure in my hand and I can easily do most things with one hand, rarely needing the stylus.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I too switched to the 750 but just to clear up confusion. The 8525 can be charged by a standard mini usb cable. You do not need the adapater. The port on the 8525 is a little larger but it will fit a standard mini USB cable. You only need the adapater that Mobileplanet or Brando sells to use standard headphones with the device.
    If people are going to give reviews, I wish they would do them accurately.

First...no special adapter is needed to charge. ANY mini USB cable will charge the phone. These can be had everywhere! Charging at home, work could easily be done with any $2 mini USB cable. Charging in the car could be done with a standard car charging cord made for this phone.

8525: Any function can be added to the "today" screen, just as the treo.
    8525: all of the phone functions can be done single handed. Looking up contacts can be done with one hand, and no need to slide the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7131 View Post

First...no special adapter is needed to charge. ANY mini USB cable will charge the phone. These can be had everywhere! Charging at home, work could easily be done with any $2 mini USB cable. Charging in the car could be done with a standard car charging cord made for this phone.

8525: all of the phone functions can be done single handed. Looking up contacts can be done with one hand, and no need to slide the keyboard.
    Thank You!

I was just coming back to this thread to make almost the exact same comments.

I own the 8525 and love it.
    And I might even love the 750 more. But because the 8525 came out first, I bought it.
    No regrets.
    I have said it before, and I will say it again; everything on the 8525 just works!

oh, and jeffp25,
    did you check to see if the keyboard backlight sensor might have been disabled rather than broke?

Hey Palm,
    Do you ever plan on giving us wifi?
    Some say it's the carriers that keep wifi out so we will buy the data plan. Then why does the 8525 have it?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    I too switched to the 750 but just to clear up confusion. The 8525 can be charged by a standard mini usb cable. You do not need the adapater. The port on the 8525 is a little larger but it will fit a standard mini USB cable. You only need the adapater that Mobileplanet or Brando sells to use standard headphones with the device.
    The fitting on the unit does not look like a standard mini USB and I assumed I needed to use the adapter from looking at the manual. I did call Cingular, visit two Cingular stores, and call our Cingular rep., and none said that I could just plug the standard USB cable into the phone.

Oh well. But in the end, the main reason for returning the 8525 and getting the Treo was single-handed use, which is working well on the 750.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7131 View Post

Being able to use a standard mini USB cable was one of the reasons I chose this phone to start with - I have many cabled and charger from cameras and GPS units that use mini-USB. BUT, the fitting looked different and nothing that I saw and nothing that I heard said otherwise.

I could not find a way to add the dialing line to the 8525 screen, but even if I could, how would I use it? The buttons on the virtual keyboard are two small for me to press reliably without the stylus (therefore two hands) and the slide-out keyboard needs two hands. OK, if I could set it to have a dialing line on the screen and then pull up my contacts, that would have helped, but only for numbers/names in my contacts and it would require lots of scrolling.

It comes back to why you want one of these units. If you want it primarily for phone calls and e-mail, I think that the 750 is best. If you want it primarily as a full mini-PC with good phone capabilities, the 8525 is best. I realized I need the former - although I wish the 750 have WiFi and used a standard data/charger cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
    After destroying my 650 and learning that my company would no longer support Palm-based devices, I looked at the specifications of the Treo 750 and the 8525. In the end, I decided that the 8525 was better and picked that unit, which arrived last Wednesday. OK, here's a quick review based on5 days with the 8525 and 15 minutes with a Treo (the latter was in the store, limiting my use, today):

Disable the backlight sensor. It's on a tab under the "buttons" application.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
    What data speeds are you 8525 users getting and in what cities?
    Do any of you use OS X?

Thanks!
    I am getting between 250k and 500k in Atlanta on HSDPA. (Except for my house which seems to be in a hole in the middle of a sea of HSDPA ... my home is EDGE .. 80 - 120k.)

EvDO in this same area is 600 - 1200k on a PPC 6700.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Those sound like UMTS speeds. Do you have the HSDPA hack installed?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Which hack would that be? I thought the 8525 had HSDPA out of the box.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast