Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    kevfer:

In response to your previous question above wherein you request a comparison between the 8525 and the 700wx, I would like to share with you my opinion considering I just recently switched from my 700wx at Sprint to the Cingular 8525. Yes, I know this is late as you have already ordered the phone, but I hope to help others.

Let me preface by stating that I have been a loyal sprint customer for the last 10 years, and had used all available Sprint Treo’s since the devices were launched on Sprint’s network. My most recent upgrade was to the 700wx.

There were basically two motivating factors for me that made me switch. (Well actually three as Sprint’s customer service both in the store and over the phone have been horrible. In fact, the Cingular sales person could have spit on my face and I would have considered it better customer service that what Sprint had to offer.)

The first of these was the built in Wi-Fi. Although most cellular phone companies offer some sort of high speed data capacity, there is nothing better than being able to connect to a Wi-fi network and pull down email, use web enabled applications and browse at blistering speeds. Plus, there are applications that enable you to access your etwork’s file servers and other data. More than once have I been able to retrieve critical information during a business meeting in record time!

The second was the keyboard. Now, since you are also considering a Treo, let me begin by saying that you will initially hate the keyboard. For a short while, I missed the ability to quickly key in a contact name and have the list of phone numbers appear. In fact, if that is the sole and primary use of the keyboard, then consider nothing else as you will be quite frustrated. However, if you actually type complete words and use the device for business level email, completing online forms, text messaging in full words instead of incomprehensible acronyms, then this keyboard will please you immensely. It is wide and the keys are very easy to push. The spacing is ideal for even larger hands and I have noticed that the frequency of errors in typing has been reduced materially.

So, in conclusion, the real answer is a function on the use of the device. However, since I was leaving Sprint, I chose to look at all SmartPhone / PDA Phones at T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and a few local providers, and ruled out the Dash, BlackJack and other newer phones simply due to the Keyboard and built-in Wi-fi. You mention that you want to try it out for 30 days. Do take the time to get used to the keyboard though. It is worth it. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Archangel

Thank you for posting a reply. I was also a loyal Sprint customer for several years, the last PDA being a Treo 650. I only paid $10 for data so going to the Cingular 39.99 plan will be a real pain. I will get a discount (min-around 20%) though due to my employer and being in the military reserves. I was also getting free text messaging with Sprint, but Cingular is charging 4.99 for 200. All in all Cingular will cost me more, but I am hoping this 3G network is worth the money. I work in NYC and hear its good.
    I just terminated my contract with Tmobile since their Edge stinks and is also expensive ($30). I do get my 8525 today, so I can't wait to go home and try it out. I did hear from others that getting used to the keyboard is something to consider. I loved using my treo with one hand while driving (not recommended though). I don't think the 8525 is a one hander, but the bell and whistles on this PDA might be worth the big change. We shall see.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I am interested in ordering the Cingular 8525 and I want to know if its a good idea to order it from Cingular or from some other website such as the Premier. I also need the web addresses for places to order. Thanks
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Do not order from Cingular. Go to www.myrateplan.com. They have it for 199 with rebates compared to full price at Cingular. This is the only site selling the 8525. Good luck.
    My biggest struggle with the 8525 (coming from the 750v and all other Treos) is the phone app out of the box. I found it very frustrating to look up a contact and dial. Not having the keyboard available hurts this process. I know its going to take some more time to get used to it. I did however install the Palm Photo Dialer app. This makes it SOOOO much easier to dial. As I find these 3rd party apps and hacks, I am finding it easier to use. I still believe the Treo tops other smartphones at ease of use and form factor.

Palm Photo Dialer cab: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=Photo+Dialer
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    A Palm app on a windows PDA?

Well, just got my 8525. This thing is no doubt a Powerhouse? Its Narrower than the Dash, which is good, but I must admit this little bad boy is bit bulky.
    I think the bulk is a bit deceptive. I have both the 8525 and Treo 750 and there is virtually no difference in the size.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Is the 750 as thick as the 8525? I don't think so???
    its undiscernably the same to me
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks MVT!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfer View Post
    A Palm app on a windows PDA?

Well, just got my 8525. This thing is no doubt a Powerhouse? Its Narrower than the Dash, which is good, but I must admit this little bad boy is bit bulky.
    Some of the Palm apps are available from the hacked 750v ROM on this forum as well as others. Such as the Threaded SMS app and the Photo dialer.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    How easy is it to mute the 8525? I use the ringer switch on my 650 a lot and when contemplating a 750 or the 8525
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    How easy is it to mute the 8525? I use the ringer switch on my 650 a lot and when contemplating a 750 or the 8525
    I use the onscreen volume control that sits up on the task bar to mute/vibrate sounds. Not even close as convenient as the Treo's.
    Brian McGuire
    Is the 750 as thick as the 8525? I don't think so???
    I own both as well and they are pretty close in size. The rounded back makes a difference in appearance and feel.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    My biggest struggle with the 8525 (coming from the 750v and all other Treos) is the phone app out of the box. I found it very frustrating to look up a contact and dial. Not having the keyboard available hurts this process. I know its going to take some more time to get used to it. I did however install the Palm Photo Dialer app. This makes it SOOOO much easier to dial. As I find these 3rd party apps and hacks, I am finding it easier to use. I still believe the Treo tops other smartphones at ease of use and form factor.

Palm Photo Dialer cab: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=Photo+Dialer
    Hi there, I installed this on my 8525 but can't seem to find it! How can I find it after loading it on my PDA? Thanks (sorry its a dumb question)
    It is a Today Screen plugin. Go to Settings and pull up Today.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post
    It is a Today Screen plugin. Go to Settings and pull up Today.
    Found it! Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a better way to send text messaging in a windows PDA compared to how a Treo does it? Windows text messaging is not as neat as a Palm.
    thanks.
    Has anyone found a better way to send text messaging in a windows PDA compared to how a Treo does it? Windows text messaging is not as neat as a Palm.
    thanks.
    Try installing the Palm Threaded SMS app for WM5. Its the same thing as the Palm OS version.
    Brian McGuire
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast