1.    #1  
    I know this thing has been discontinued...and I know, unless you have very baggy pants you can't take it anywhere...but what do you guys (and gals) think? How on earth are people still getting between $400-$700 for these things on eBay, when they haven't been produced for over 2 years?

Is there something to be learned from all of this?
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Apple products generally retain their resale value.

I still have my Newton (although I will be selling it soon) and there are still companies supporting it (even if Apple isn't). Check out Landware for some current offerings.

If there is anything to learn from the fact that these machines are still in demand and are still supported (by some companies), I would say that it is because the Newton was well designed, easy to program and because the OS didn't change every 6 months. While rapid change can be good for a company's bottom line, it makes it difficult to develop and deploy applications for a wide user base.

I have warm and fuzzy feelings for my Newton, but the size and expandability of my Visor have won my affections for everyday use.

Ed
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Ed Gain
    Apple products generally retain their resale value.

I still have my Newton (although I will be selling it soon) and there are still companies supporting it (even if Apple isn't). Check out Landware for some current offerings.

If there is anything to learn from the fact that these machines are still in demand and are still supported (by some companies), I would say that it is because the Newton was well designed, easy to program and because the OS didn't change every 6 months. While rapid change can be good for a company's bottom line, it makes it difficult to develop and deploy applications for a wide user base.

I have warm and fuzzy feelings for my Newton, but the size and expandability of my Visor have won my affections for everyday use.

Ed

Selling soon? What model and how much?
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
  4.    #4  
    Todays market is made of PDA's (and computers in general) that are typically out of date 6 months after purchase...but remain supported by the manufacture.

On the other hand there is the Newton Message Pad. It is the extreme opposite. It is not out of date, as it will do everything today's PDA will do, and some things it will do still better. But on the other hand, it is not supported by the manufacture...atleast it is not in the sense that once extra parts available are gone, it will be gone forever.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
    yosemitesamiam,

Yeah I plan on selling it soon. Just have to find the time to copy my vital information to another medium.

It is a MessagePad 120. Not one of the more desirable models. But I do have a bevy of stuff to go with it. Like the recharging cradle, modem, PCMCIA Memory card, the Newton Keyboard, Pocket Quicken, Bookmaker, Newton Development Kit, multiple Newton programming books, just about every 'Totally Newton' CD that was ever made plus other things that I have probably forgotten about.

I don't want to throw it away (Reduce/Recycle/Reuse), and I don't want to give it to any of my computer-less friends (because I don't want to support it). I would like to know that it is with someone who will appreciate it and care for it. My current plans are to sell it on eBay. But if some VC'er is looking for a piece of nostalgia then I would be happy to sell it to them.

Let me know if you are interested...

Ed
  6.    #6  
    Moderately interested...as interested as I can be with no money in my pockets...but hey...you never know...I have some stuff on eBay myself. If all goes well, maybe we can talk!

So tell me about your Newton 120...what kinds of extras do you have?

Thanks!

yosemitesamiam on eBay as well.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>