1.    #1  
    I found this article very interesting.....

Cell Phone Takes Security to New Heights

TOKYO (AP) - A new mobile phone in Japan takes security pretty seriously: It can recognize its owner, automatically locks when the person gets too far away from it and can be found via satellite navigation if it goes missing.
    The P903i from NTT DoCoMo, Japan's top mobile carrier, comes with a small black card about the size of a movie-ticket stub. The card works as a security key by connecting wirelessly with the cell phone.

If an owner keeps the card in a bag or pocket, the phone recognizes when the card moves too far away and locks automatically to prevent someone from making a call. The user can choose to have the phone lock when it is 26 feet, 66 feet or 130 feet away.

----------------------

To guard against such intruders, users can activate the phone's facial identification feature.

Here's how that works. Owners must first take at least three photos of themselves with the phone's camera. Up to 10 can be shot, in various situations - with and without glasses, with and without makeup, indoors and outdoors.

Then, if the facial-recognition feature is turned on, before accessing the handset a user has to take a picture of himself with the camera. The phone analyzes features such as distance between the eyes and unlocks if the image matches the stored data.

FULL STORY: http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8L1K16O0.html
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Wow. I'd settle for a fingerprint ID on my PPC phone...Why the heck don't they put those on PDA phones anyway? I recall an old iPAQ had one but nothing new has that as a security feature...
    Not sure about a PPC version, however here's a Palm (.prc) fingerprint (thumbprint ) ID utility...

http://trials.palmgear.com/dl2.php/2474.zip/thumbscan1_0_6.zip
  4.    #4  
    Security OT: Microsoft and one of the major Universities, I can never remember which one, are working together for a new facial recognition technology for the PC at home or work. When they get it working on the PC they are already talking about converting it PPC. They are doing this through LCD monitors, though they say they have limited success with regular monitors as well. They are currently doing public beta test as long as at the end you simply say if it worked or not and what monitor model you have. The first public beta is simply using this new technology to take the picture. It looks a little unpolished because the University is conducting the test and gathering the info and then sending the results to MS. I have a LCD monitor from Dell, and besides it being a little darker than I would have expected, it worked pretty good. Give it a try and see if your monitor works with it with this cool new technology:

MS BETA TEST LINK
    Hobbes:

This is B.S. Right?

Bob Duckworth
    No. This is for real.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Security OT: Microsoft and one of the major Universities, I can never remember which one, are working together for a new facial recognition technology for the PC at home or work. When they get it working on the PC they are already talking about converting it PPC. They are doing this through LCD monitors, though they say they have limited success with regular monitors as well. They are currently doing public beta test as long as at the end you simply say if it worked or not and what monitor model you have. The first public beta is simply using this new technology to take the picture. It looks a little unpolished because the University is conducting the test and gathering the info and then sending the results to MS. I have a LCD monitor from Dell, and besides it being a little darker than I would have expected, it worked pretty good. Give it a try and see if your monitor works with it with this cool new technology:

MS BETA TEST LINK

I admire MS and their research partner (Harvard Physics Labs?) for their tenacity in moving forward with this project!

You know Hobbes, people laughed at Edison and Bell when they were monkeying around with their projects...

I'll bet the low light pixelation will be resolved over time with a lazer tuned blue light Insertion.
  8.    #8  
    Insertion has been hiding over at the Harvard Physics Labs??? So that's where he's been lately!
    I believe the Munk is in the neighbourhood as we speak!
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    This is B.S. Right?
    Not only that, if it's what it looks like from the first page (I couldn't see the point in going further), it's five year old BS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    I believe the Munk is in the neighbourhood as we speak!
    Yes he was The Munk Speaks
    at&t iPhone3G
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Not only that, if it's what it looks like from the first page (I couldn't see the point in going further), it's five year old BS!
    THE ARTICLE IN THE ORIGINAL POST: Is a completely legit news article about the cell phone security measures currently being used in Japan.

POST #4 : Is a joke that has been around since at least 1998. It is so old that I figured that some wouldn't know about it or forgot about it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Yes he was The Munk Speaks
    I think that thread was deleted. What did it say?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    POST #4 : Is a joke that has been around since at least 1998. :p It is so old that I figured that some wouldn't know about it or forgot about it. :D
    I know, I'm sorry Hobbes, I couldn't resist. Some of us have long memories!