Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just bought a Dash yesterday, have been an owner of an unlocked Treo 650 on T-Mobile, and the Dash is refreshingly nice. Great screen, battery life, form factor, and that wifi, which I estimate is about 2-3 times faster on my home 802.11g network than on the EDGE connection when browsing the web. By the way, on the Dash I have full access to the internet using the T-MobileWeb plan for $5.99/month using the custom proxy, 216.xxx.xxx.xxx, and wifi works too when you turn it on, so don't let the T-mobile sales rep tell you that you need the $29.99/month plan unless you need unlimited access to T-Mo's Hotspots.

But the Dash's calendar function (dloaded Papyrus and Extreme Agenda too) is not nearly as good as Datebk5 I use in the Treo 650, not as many options, it's quite basic. Among other needs, I badly need to view icons in the month view that I can modify in the phone and in Outlook 2007 beta, but Outlook 2007 beta is unable to do anything with icons in the month view, so I'm considering returning the Dash.
  2.    #22  
    magic25, I am in precisely the same boat that you are. I currently use an unlocked/unbranded 650. Like you, I appreciate the functionality of the PIM programs on the 650 and find the Smartphone equivalents a little lacking.

Or, in the case of the Task list, a LOT lacking.

I'm going to run with this thing for the full 30 days to see how it goes. But it is funny how my "must have" and "can't stand" lists of features are adjusting as I use the Dash:

1. Wifi. Thought it was a "must have." Don't care now.

2. Web browsing on the phone. Thought I had to have it. Don't care now. (Dash is fine in this department).

3. Touch screen. Thought it was a "must have." It is now a "would be nice but can live without" feature.

4. Size. Still smaller is better.

5. QWERTY. Still makes the difference for a PIM-centric unit being useful or useless. But I have an SDA for the times when I want a tiny thing.

6. Push email. Oh, man, how I lusted for this. Now that I have it . . . . meh! Pull email is fine for my purposes.

7. Full OTA sync to the PIM. Lusted for it. Have it. Love it. Must have it forever. It's simply the cleanest/easiest way to keep everything backed up and up to date.

8. Screen size. Small, efficiently used, is OK. The SDA does what I need it to do.

9. Screen "pretty". Eye candy is good. Treo 650 has it. The Dash has it. The SDA has it.

10. Battery life. Treo 650 > SDA/Dash so far. I must have power management set wrong on the SDA and Dash. This is more important than anything.

11. RF. Treo 650 = Dash, and both > SDA. What good is a converged device if you don't get dial tone? This has moved up to #2 on my list, right after battery life.

12. PIM functions. Like magic25 I find the PIM functionality lacking on the Smartphone. The calendar is fine for my purposes but the Treo's is vastly superior. The Smartphone task list sucks the f*rts out of dead seagulls on its own merits. No comparison to any competing product is necessary. The contacts? I'm undecided. All in all I think Palm's setup is pretty good.

13. The small stuff. Neato how in my SDA or Dash if I get an email with a phone number I can click and call. Or I can put a phone number in an event and get the same result. Not so easy in the Treo. For the most part, however, I think the Treo UI is superior to the Smartphone UI in terms of ease of use.

14. The Shiny. Well, you know. Is it real purty? This is somewhat less important to me than it used to be. I gazed at the Dash in left hand and 650 in right hand this morning and thought "I could live with the 650 just fine" even though the Dash has -- without question -- The Shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Then of course there's the threaded SMS. Can I tell you how nice the threaded SMS is on the Treo?
    oh oh...you mean I can't do threaded SMS on the DASH? (WM5 Smartphone edition) ??????????????????????? I use that all the time on my treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot View Post
    oh oh...you mean I can't do threaded SMS on the DASH? (WM5 Smartphone edition) ??????????????????????? I use that all the time on my treo 650

So far, I have yet to see a windows phone use threaded sms. Supposedly the Treo 750 has it.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Since the Dash's PIM abilities aren't as flexible as the Treo 650's as Tastypeppers and I have experienced, I wonder if the Treo 750 will have the same issue (assuming it will be on Windows Mobile, so it would have to sync to Outlook) since a smartphone's PIM is about as good as or useful as whatever PIM it syncs to on the desktop. With my experience syncing the Dash with Outlook 2007 beta, it's obvious that Outlook isn't as well suited for handheld syncing as Palm. I've been a Treo 650 user for a year and a half, consider myself more of a power user than a light user.
    Palm's threaded SMS is very nice on its Windows Mobile Treo thank you. Also outlook syncs very well with PocketPC Phones, such as all the windows mobile Treo's. Windows Mobile Smartphone (hint: no touch screen) just has a more limited feature set, so it does not expose the PIM as well. If you need strong PIM you need a PocketPC phone.

Surur
    for individuals with multiple unlocked devices i could better appreciate the "sim accessability" issue. for most others (or maybe for most) i would think that it's a non-issue all together.

what i'm hearing is that these devices can get certain people by; some still must have their treo, and some others can benefit greatly from the smaller form-factor. i believe that the secret is understanding what they can and cannot do and determining if that fits one's everyday needs and wants.
    Yes, for that group it would be. I might actually look into it myself if it ran WM instead of Dumbphone.
    i need a touch screen.

Does Tmobile let customers buy this phone wihout contract? I asked the other day and the sales guy says it is for sale with contract only.
    if yo are already a customer, they let you buy the phone without extending your contract. why wouldnt they lt you buy it without one?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrtype View Post
    Does Tmobile let customers buy this phone wihout contract? I asked the other day and the sales guy says it is for sale with contract only.
    That might be because T-Mobile doesn't seem to let you use data as easily if you're not on a service plan. Are you looking for pay as you go or monthly service with no set contract? They should let you buy it at a higher price if you have monthly service but no contract. You can also buy an unlocked one if they give you a hard time. But quite some time ago, a sales person said you can buy any device you want for pay as you go, but there will can be no data usage. I can't say she was correct though since I never tried to see if it was true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am interested in this phone but am currently with Sprint...Treo 650. I have a good plan since I have been with Sprint several years. Now if I switch to T Mobile, it will cost me 25.00 or more a month to get everything I have with Sprint. Currently I pay Sprint 45.00 a month so with T Mobile, it would cost me 75.00. Yikes, guess I will wait for the Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    It is REALLY nice. I have a Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) on T-Mobile. I also have an SDA because I want a phone phone in order to stop hiding behind the keyboard so I will actually, y'know, like talk to people 'n stuff?

Got the Dash. My intention is to use it to bridge the gap until the unlocked 750 comes out.

The Dash is nice. Keyboard superior to the Treo 650. Feels great. Definitely better than the MDA keyboard. The Dash is small and light.

Per my experience with the SDA, I thought I "needed" wifi on my phone but I didn't use it on the SDA so I don't expect to use it much on the Dash. It's nice that it's there, though.

Per my experience with the SDA, I don't miss the touchscreen (much). But it would be nice to have.

More later. But this is a great phone. I think Palm will feel the pinch as more phones like this come on the market priced as effectively as this. ($350 with no contract).
    I was ready to swap from Sprint to T-mobile because of the Dash, except for one problem that it important to me.

I use the Treo 700 to stream music from my Shoutcast station for listening on headphones or in my car via a cassette or fm adapter.

The DASH has NO earphone jack. And the T-mobile people are consistantly ignorant or indifferent about it.

I had T-mobile salesmen at THREE DIFFERENT STORES treat me like an ***** when I questioned it or asked for an adapter. WHY would I need a regular earphone jack when it has Bluetooth? DUH!

One even told me that they use the mini usb jack "because the sound is better" and they don't even sell and adapter for it. When I pointed out that it is their product that they should support, he smirked and said that it is made by HTC so it is up to them to support it, I would have to call HTC.

Of course, he didn't really want to sell me the phone, nor did he. So I am staying with Sprint and the 700, because T-mobile people don't really care, not because I don't want the Dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
    I was ready to swap from Sprint to T-mobile because of the Dash, except for one problem that it important to me.

I use the Treo 700 to stream music from my Shoutcast station for listening on headphones or in my car via a cassette or fm adapter.

The DASH has NO earphone jack. And the T-mobile people are consistantly ignorant or indifferent about it.

You could buy a second pair of the headphones (or use the original), cut off the earbuds and splice a 3.5 jack on it. I did this once with my old 650 to hook to a tape adapter in my car.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    HTC makes an adapter, but its pretty large and ugly.

http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=138247

Surur
  14.    #34  
    I am still using and liking the Dash. The extended T9 is great.

I miss World Clock on the Treo.

I wish there was a way to delete Bubblebreaker.

Where is the replacement for Adarian's superb Expense Diary? What about T.E.A.K.?

Wifi continues to be a non-necessity.

Finding and adjusting preferences and settings seems harder and less intuitive than the Treo. This is probably a learning curve issue.
    If NO earphone jack, how do people listen to calls using stereo headphones? (A reviewer mentioned doing this in "The 81-day Experiment")
    It doesn't have NO headphone socket, just a proprietary one which combines the sync/charge mini-USB socket with a headphone jack, called extUSB.

Surur

I had T-mobile salesmen at THREE DIFFERENT STORES treat me like an ***** when I questioned it or asked for an adapter. WHY would I need a regular earphone jack when it has Bluetooth? DUH!

One even told me that they use the mini usb jack "because the sound is better" and they don't even sell and adapter for it. When I pointed out that it is their product that they should support, he smirked and said that it is made by HTC so it is up to them to support it, I would have to call HTC.

Of course, he didn't really want to sell me the phone, nor did he. So I am staying with Sprint and the 700, because T-mobile people don't really care, not because I don't want the Dash.
    A lot of times salespeople are clueless. And there has to be a headphone jack to use the headset, doesn't there?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Tastypeppers,

Thank you for this informative post. I am currently considering buying either the Treo 750v or the Dash, here in the UK I can get them both free on my price plan (almost 45 or 80$ per month). So price is not an issue for me.

I want a phone first, PDA second. Therefore battery life and RF must be quite good. Portability is also quite important to me, ie. being able to just keep my phone in my jeans pocket when out and about. That's why I am changing my current phone (Nokia E61). My PDA use is limited to having access to my Calendar and Tasks on the go, by syncing my phone every night - no need for browsing or email on the phone.

I am very puzzled between the two: the Treo 750 has increased capabilities on the one hand (having the Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system) but is larger (thicker) and thus not as "pocket"-portable. The Dash has a very nice form-factor, very thin, but is not as capable, probably slightly slower as well.... even though it should suffice for my needs, especially if I add Papyrus for PIM.

Unfortunately I can't have them both in front of me to decide. I've played with the Treo 750v in a store, but need to order the Dash (HTC S620) online without checking it out first....

Now that the "new-toy" factor is diminishing for you, are you planning to keep the Dash? If you had the choice between the Treo 750v and the Dash, which one would you chose and why?

Thanks,

L
  19.    #39  
    I am walking in San Jose now with Dash in hand. Struggling with Wifi. I have T-mobile hotspots so every Starbucks is home. I do not see the latent benefit of Wifi and I used to really want it. So the 750's lack of Wifi is no biggie for me.

The Dash is very one-hand friendly.
    In answer to your question. I am wearing jeans. The Dash goes into a pocket - any pocket - easily. Much better than carrying my 650.

The Dash is very functional even without a touchscreen. I would still like one though.

Battery life is good. But I had good luck with my 650 too.

Bubblebreaker is kicking my @ss. I must find some way to permanently delete it orI may return the Dash. I have an obsessive personality.

I am trying to rejoin the land of humans and the use of the voice mode ofcommunicating. I think the Dash is a better phone than the 650. I have an SDA too and that is my first choice for phone service.

Bluetooth headset works really well on the Dash. Cardo Scalable 500. Pairing it up is a pain but I think that is a learning curve issue.

Volume is way better on the Dash. It can be LOUD.

All in all a fine phone. But like you I am sorely tempted by the 750.
  20.    #40  
    Also the Dash has extended T9. You can see the mistakes in my post to see that. I think over time I will get used to it and gain speed while making fewer errors.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast