Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63
  1. #41  
    Last summer in Paris there wasn't a Treo to be found. Lots of Nokias though. My i830 stuck out like the big brick it is (i.e. same size as the treo )!
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Now back to the topic, my biggest reason I don't consider Symbian relevent is the incompetibility between the symbian phones. Software for the PQI Sony phone doesn't run on Nokia phones. Software that runs on the old S60 phone can't be run on the new s60v3 phones. This to me, it's the biggest reason why these phones are "Multimedia phones" not "smart phones".
    There's some truth in what you say about compatibility but I think you're overstating the situation. Yes, s60v3 broke s60s2 apps but s60v4 will be backwards compatible. If you also consider that:

    1) Apparently Nokia will be putting s60v3 on the new communicators (so it's bye-bye s80),

    2) As best I can tell, there's but one current s90 phone (the Nokia 7710),

    3) s60 is on >95% of what Nokia sells

    it's pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that in a few months time Nokia will be down to a single user interface (s60v3). At that point I think there will be just three versions of Symbian: s60v3, UIQ3 and NTT DoCoMo's MOAP. Given that Symbian has two thirds of the market, I'd say that that's a pretty sustainable position. Put it this way: Symbian 3 OS versions and 67% market share; Microsoft 2 OS versions and 15% market share.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I actually think the Sony 990, m600 phones are smartphones becuase they are actually trying to make them into smartphones. Nokia, doesn't even try.
    Not trying? So it's just by chance that I can do pretty much everything I did on my Treo 650 with the E61 I have now?

    In my opinion the E61 is a much better device than the 650, mostly because of the better connectivity (3G and Wifi) and multitasking (no more turning off TomTom just because you want to look at your calendar!). I also prefer the E61 to the Vario II (HTC Hermes/TyTN) that I had briefly; that's more a matter of better (for me) form factor and superior materials/build quality, but I do also prefer the s60v3 UI to WM5.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I mean seriously if s60v3 is a good smartphone OS why would they put Linux in the 770?
    I'd guess the same reason that no-one puts WM5 or Palm OS on a similar device - it's not designed for it. The 770 is a tablet without a phone, is it really that surprising that it doesn't have a phone OS?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If European start offering unlimited data acorss the continent Nokia probably will start making Linux smartphones.
    In common with many other Europeans I'm enjoying what I consider to be very cheap 'unlimited' data (7.50 pcm with a fair usage cap of 1GB). I can't say it won't happen, but I haven't seen those Nokia Linux phones yet
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    There's some truth in what you say about compatibility but I think you're overstating the situation. Yes, s60v3 broke s60s2 apps but s60v4 will be backwards compatible. If you also consider that:

    1) Apparently Nokia will be putting s60v3 on the new communicators (so it's bye-bye s80),

    2) As best I can tell, there's but one current s90 phone (the Nokia 7710),

    3) s60 is on >95% of what Nokia sells

    it's pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that in a few months time Nokia will be down to a single user interface (s60v3). At that point I think there will be just three versions of Symbian: s60v3, UIQ3 and NTT DoCoMo's MOAP. Given that Symbian has two thirds of the market, I'd say that that's a pretty sustainable position. Put it this way: Symbian 3 OS versions and 67% market share; Microsoft 2 OS versions and 15% market share.
    Meh. TomTom is a European company. Yet Symbian version of TomTom is just avaiable recently. Which is what, 3 years later than the WM version and 2 year laster than PalmOS? What's important is 3rd party software support. I don't care what your stat says.

    Not trying? So it's just by chance that I can do pretty much everything I did on my Treo 650 with the E61 I have now?

    In my opinion the E61 is a much better device than the 650, mostly because of the better connectivity (3G and Wifi) and multitasking (no more turning off TomTom just because you want to look at your calendar!). I also prefer the E61 to the Vario II (HTC Hermes/TyTN) that I had briefly; that's more a matter of better (for me) form factor and superior materials/build quality, but I do also prefer the s60v3 UI to WM5.
    I wrote that before I paid a visit to the Nokia store last Sunday. After that I really got the feeling that Nokia is not trying. They are trying to pegion hole each every one of their phone into a particular use.

    The N80, is the music phone, so is that hdd phone (N90?); the N93 (?) is the camcorder phone; and the E61 is the business phone. For example, that N93 camcorder phone, has more than enough hardware power to be a multimedia phone. But you can't twist the LCD screen all the way over so you can watch movie on it. You have to open it in the camcorder position. I guess that's what they are trying to do with the N95. However you can't use the N95 as a business/text phone because it has no keyboard or touch screen. At least Sony doesn't tell what you should do with a 990.


    I'd guess the same reason that no-one puts WM5 or Palm OS on a similar device - it's not designed for it. The 770 is a tablet without a phone, is it really that surprising that it doesn't have a phone OS?
    770 is nothing but a big PDA. What do you think it is?

    In common with many other Europeans I'm enjoying what I consider to be very cheap 'unlimited' data (7.50 pcm with a fair usage cap of 1GB). I can't say it won't happen, but I haven't seen those Nokia Linux phones yet
    I wonder how well will it work with TV streaming service like mobiTV? The podcast I pull off over the air every night can easily excess 200MB.
  4. #44  
    You can use any phone with Series 60 3rd edition for business, regardless of what Nokia says the phone is for. That is just marketing ploy anyway! Probably to get you to buy more than one phone. I hear it's normal in Europe to have more than one phone, as compared to the US who want all-in-one phones.

    I'm also one of the few who does not necessarily need a touch screen and a keyboard.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Meh. TomTom is a European company. Yet Symbian version of TomTom is just avaiable recently. Which is what, 3 years later than the WM version and 2 year laster than PalmOS?
    That's true of TomTom NAVIGATOR, but I think you're forgetting about TomTom MOBILE, which supports a range of Symbian devices:

    http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=208

    I've only been taking an interest in GPS navigation for about 18 months but TomTom MOBILE has been around and supporting Symbian devices for at least that long, possibly much longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    What's important is 3rd party software support.
    I agree 3rd party software is important (although it's obviously not the only important thing) and also that there's less for s60v3 than WM5 and Palm OS. In part this is off-set by the excellent software suite that comes with s60 but I'm not going to argue with you if you say that it would be better if there were more. Of course there will be more - there is every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    They are trying to pegion hole each every one of their phone into a particular use.
    I sort of agree. They make differentiated devices rather than a bunch of clones and the market share data shows that this works, presumably because punters like this approach and choose the phone that works for them. Personally I do think they lack the all-singing, all-dancing device - basically an E61 with cameras. You could argue that the E70 is this but the form factor is just too bizarre to contemplate using it in a business environment.

    http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,82891,00.html

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    770 is nothing but a big PDA. What do you think it is?
    Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly enough. It was that s60v3 wasn't designed to support this sort of device. For starters it doesn't support 800 x 480 screens (neither for that matter do WM5 or Palm OS).

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I wonder how well will it work with TV streaming service like mobiTV?
    Vodafone in the UK offer live TV on Symbian phones, but I've no idea how good it is. When SlingPlayer comes to Symbian (i.e. quite soon) I might dabble. If I do, I'll let you know.

    http://vodafone-i.co.uk/live/live_tv.html
    http://www.about-electronics.eu/2006...x-goes-mobile/
  6. #46  
    Hey, I love my E70 too! I have one of my main numbers on it and have not seen a problem using it for business yet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #47  
    Ignore me. I'm from England and was born with these conservative shackles
  8. #48  
    Well actually you're correct to some degree. Notice how many people insist on a touchscreen and an exposed keyboard or they will not call it a smartphone and/or use it for business. And the E70 has neither(pull-out keyboards don't count, people hate those it seems).

    However I like the form factor, candy bar phones and purses get along well . And I had to remember to disable the touchscreen and lock the keyboard every time I put my Treo in my purse. Accidental activation of something is not a problem with no touchscreen and no exposed keyboard. Plus there's still a phone lock option.

    Nokia has improved so much!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Macol
    ...
    Let's agree to disagree. I say Symbian has ghetto 3rd party support you say the software is very good. This will go on forever. In the end this is not the reason Nokia is not successful in NA. Look RIM has even less 3rd party software. The lack of CDMA is the main reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well actually you're correct to some degree. Notice how many people insist on a touchscreen and an exposed keyboard or they will not call it a smartphone and/or use it for business. And the E70 has neither(pull-out keyboards don't count, people hate those it seems).
    ......
    It's not a smartphone because is too ugly.
  10. #50  
    Did you ever look to see what's available in Symbian software?

    I thought the same thing about the E70, until I realized I actually liked it better than the Treo, due to size.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Let's agree to disagree.
    OK
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you ever look to see what's available in Symbian software?

    I thought the same thing about the E70, until I realized I actually liked it better than the Treo, due to size.
    I'd probably like it to if it had a camera.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  13. #53  
    After using a WM device I can now look at the title of the post (and in a PeeWee Herman voice say) HAHA.
    Whatever7- that was funny......symbian gets ghetto software. Now that u say that u are so right. There isn't even a decent 3rd party music player. My Nokia E61 needs a camera, isilo, audible and a decent music player i.e. ptunes the it would be the ultimate.

    Ummmm this just in Motorola is now giving the Q away for free, with a extra 3500mah battery, a note pad so u can copy and paste manually and they are paying your carrier contract for the first year.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I'd probably like it to if it had a camera.
    E70 appears to have a camera(lense on the back), it's the E61 that doesn't.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #55  
    Here's some music playing software for Symbian 60 3rd Edition.

    http://www.handango.com/SoftwareCata...94920359+96133

    The E61 doesn't have a camera and that should have been clear in the specs before you bought it. I'll take it off your hands if it's not good enough for you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #56  
    I've tested all of the music players. I have still not found one that can do straming music, playlist and bookmarks. I don't want to use 3 apps to do what 1 app should be able to do.
    My E61 is a backup phone now. I am holding out waiting for more software for it. I never said I THOUGHT it had a camera. I said I think it would be close to perfrct if it did have a camera...... The E is NOT for sale. Nice try.
  17. #57  
    Well, I tried ! The E61 actually turned out to be more useful to me than my 650. Even without the camera.

    Since this newer version of Symbian is selling like hotcakes on newer Nokia phones, in 2007 I bet we see developers paying more attention to it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #58  
    If all I needed was a phonebook, calender and phone. the E61 couldn't be beat. We will see if s60s succuess or lack there of influences software developers. I must say the device is good. But software and user experience is what makes it great. Hey wasn't this a windows thread....... back to the Q.
  19. #59  
    Oh yeah, the phone that wasn't as popular as expected so they had to knock off another $100(by rebate it looks like) to get people to buy it. LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Oh yeah, the phone that wasn't as popular as expected so they had to knock off another $100(by rebate it looks like) to get people to buy it. LOL!
    Thats a bit unfair. Even in June 2006 they already said they plan to sell it at $50 by Christmas.
    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12264

    Surur
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions