Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To Driven01 - The experience on my 3.6 inch VGA 3G full-sized keyboard HTC Universal is not that bad

To Phone Diva - it seems they are more interested in the latest animated crazy frog ring tone

Surur
    I seemed to have overstated mobile browser use by 10x. Its 0.03% PIE, 0.01% Blazer, and Webkit no where to be found still.

Surur
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the 12/1/06 rumoured start date for the Q on Sprint is accurate?
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I did some interesting research a few weeks ago, trying to find out who are really using the phones as smartphones. The only way, except for a survey, I thought of was to see who are using their phones to browse the web. I stil have not got a good handle on it so far, as the symbian browser seems hard to fnd, but of all the browsers on the real internet, Pocket IE seems to be about 0.2% and rising, Blazer 0.1% and falling, and Series 60 0.0% (below their rounding margin) but very rapidly rising. My conclusion is that, despite their being about 10 times more symbian phones that windows mobile or palm os (installed base of apparently 80 million devices) people are at least 20-50 times less likely to use them as smartphones.

Of course I don't doubt the capability of the software, but the users do not buy them for that reason, VS buyers of PalmOS or WM, who buy them firstly because they are small computers.

Surur
    Let's not forget that when speaking of the Nokia "smartphones", most of those phones are in Europe where data prices are very expensive. So based on the criteria of using the phones to browse the web, very few people are going to take advantage of that capability. For Nokia users the phone is primarily a phone because of economics, not the OS running on it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Let's not forget that when speaking of the Nokia "smartphones", most of those phones are in Europe where data prices are very expensive. So based on the criteria of using the phones to browse the web, very few people are going to take advantage of that capability. For Nokia users the phone is primarily a phone because of economics, not the OS running on it.
    Thats difficult to prove either way, but with 5 times more sales one would expect a greater presence.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats difficult to prove either way, but with 5 times more sales one would expect a greater presence.

Surur
    They certainly don't use their smartphones to cruise the net. But that does not mean that they don't use their phone to check their email, look at videos, check the football scores, listen to music, or things that don't involve using the browser.
    I'm going to do an article about this this weekend. Any idea where I could get a better picture of the use of smartphones? Any published surveys?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by treogator View Post
    They certainly don't use their smartphones to cruise the net. But that does not mean that they don't use their phone to check their email, look at videos, check the football scores, listen to music, or things that don't involve using the browser.
    Check this out, from Symbian's own site:

http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

These are smartphones? A very small percentage of them may be, but no wonder the US is only left with 6%. I'm well aware of Symbian's capabilites, (I've had to troubleshoot them as I'm a tech guy and supposedly I'm able to fix anything) but I know several people with Treos that don't do half the stuff you mention.
    I haven't used all those models on that page, but I do know that the Nokias basically ARE smartphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Check this out, from Symbian's own site:

http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

These are smartphones? A very small percentage of them may be, but no wonder the US is only left with 6%. I'm well aware of Symbian's capabilites, (I've had to troubleshoot them as I'm a tech guy and supposedly I'm able to fix anything) but I know several people with Treos that don't do half the stuff you mention.
    Not a small percentage, but every one of them listed runs the same OS. Not much different than WM5 Smartphone edition really. (Think of the Cingular 2125 or the TMobile MDA and you'll get the idea)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  11.    #31  
    This looks like it's going to be a neat phone. Developing for the W800/W900 was a PITA. Symbian on this phone may make me want one! :-)

http://www.symbian.com/phones/se_w950.html
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by treogator View Post
    Which one of these feature can't be done in a Moto, Sony "dumb" phone?

Now back to the topic, my biggest reason I don't consider Symbian relevent is the incompetibility between the symbian phones. Software for the PQI Sony phone doesn't run on Nokia phones. Software that runs on the old S60 phone can't be run on the new s60v3 phones. This to me, it's the biggest reason why these phones are "Multimedia phones" not "smart phones".

I actually think the Sony 990, m600 phones are smartphones becuase they are actually trying to make them into smartphones. Nokia, doesn't even try. I mean seriously if s60v3 is a good smartphone OS why would they put Linux in the 770? If European start offering unlimited data acorss the continent Nokia probably will start making Linux smartphones.
    Did you fail to notice my post about what Nokias have on them? The box even says "business" on the E70 and E61.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you fail to notice my post about what Nokias have on them? The box even says "business" on the E70 and E61.
    How come Nokia is not using Symbian on the 770 then? I will give you a hint. (It's not good enough)
    It's working fine for me.

16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Which one of these feature can't be done in a Moto, Sony "dumb" phone?
    Push e-mail and calendar sync from Lotus Notes for one.

System management, remote inventory, word/excel document viewing and editing. Much more.

You might as well ask what can be done on a WM5 smartphone that can't be done on a RAZR.

Now back to the topic, my biggest reason I don't consider Symbian relevent is the incompetibility between the symbian phones. Software for the PQI Sony phone doesn't run on Nokia phones. Software that runs on the old S60 phone can't be run on the new s60v3 phones. This to me, it's the biggest reason why these phones are "Multimedia phones" not "smart phones".
    Fair enough: But it's similar to issues with WM5 vs. WM3 vs. PocketPC 2002.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Regarding Q sales, I think one of the biggest reasons the failed to meet expectation was the absurd expectations motorola/verizon had for it. It has sold well compared to similar smartphones/ppc phones but at launch motorola/verizon announced they expected to equal the sales of the RAZR when it was launched. That is just unrealistic, especially when we are talking about a phone with a required $40 MRC data plan.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Regarding Q sales, I think one of the biggest reasons the failed to meet expectation was the absurd expectations motorola/verizon had for it. It has sold well compared to similar smartphones/ppc phones but at launch motorola/verizon announced they expected to equal the sales of the RAZR when it was launched. That is just unrealistic, especially when we are talking about a phone with a required $40 MRC data plan.

Actually the expectations were much higher than the RAZRs. I think they wanted to create hype similar to when Sony released the PSP.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    While it's not scientific at all, and I'm not disputing sales figures, just looking at people's phones I've seen more people with Treos than any other smartphone, with Blackberries coming in 2nd. Even when I was in Europe recently I saw a LOT of Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    While it's not scientific at all, and I'm not disputing sales figures, just looking at people's phones I've seen more people with Treos than any other smartphone, with Blackberries coming in 2nd. Even when I was in Europe recently I saw a LOT of Treos.
    I'm surprised, I was recently in London, Amsterdam, Paris (yes I know that Europe is not be referred to as single blob and that every country has different tastes) and I didn't see a single Treo. Lots of Nokias, SEs, Siemens, and maybe a lone few BBs was all I saw, but perhaps that was because I was mostly in office environments? I was kinda embarressed to take mine out frankly, I kept it hidden in my pocket. When I travel to Asia I keep the Treo in the room and take use my RAZR so that I won't get comments like "what's the brick you're holding" from my coworkers.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast