View Poll Results: Which features are "must have" in your next device?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • QWERTY keyboard on the front

20 66.67%
  • 320x240 VGA

18 60.00%
  • Quadband

17 56.67%
  • USA-compatible 3G

20 66.67%
  • Windows Mobile 5.0

15 50.00%
  • Touchscreen

21 70.00%
  • Bluetooth

19 63.33%
  • Wi Fi

17 56.67%
  • GPS

11 36.67%
  • Other (please post a reply)

2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Where to look? The future? What's coming down the pike?
    8525 to be released shortly? TyTN on Cingular now?

I'm getting the Dash on the 25th. I think this with a touchscreen and full WM5 would be perfect. Well, except that it wouldn't have 3G because T-Mobile ain't got no 3G and ain't a-ginna have no 3G anytime soon. Y'all. (I'm from Southern California so I come by this accent naturally).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    8525 to be released shortly? TyTN on Cingular now?

I'm getting the Dash on the 25th. I think this with a touchscreen and full WM5 would be perfect. Well, except that it wouldn't have 3G because T-Mobile ain't got no 3G and ain't a-ginna have no 3G anytime soon. Y'all. (I'm from Southern California so I come by this accent naturally).
    Had the slide-out keyboard with the xv6700 when I was with verizon. I never slid it out. I like the QWERTY on the front of the device. Hey, mebbe I'm askin' too much?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'd like to add a VGA screen.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    I'd like to add a VGA screen.
    Quadband
    Touchscreen
    QWERTY on the front (no slide out)
    WM5
    3G-USA
    320x240 VGA
    Slim, Attractive form factor

What else?
    Quote Originally Posted by planetpeck View Post
    320x240 VGA
    You are not going to get these two qualities in one device. Everything else, you can get, but you are going to have to pick only one of these two.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    You are not going to get these two qualities in one device. Everything else, you can get, but you are going to have to pick only one of these two.
    Unless you call it a micro pc instead of a smartphone. And you put an extra big pocket on those bib overalls to carry it.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Add WiFi and GPS.

The (late lamented) BenQ P51 had 320 x 240 and QWERTY in its spec, so it can be done. Keep them on the list.
    The more I use PDA phone, I more I think there is no need to have touch screen and keyboard in the front. However there is no excuse to not to have the cheap touchscreen either. So when you think about it, I am probably better served by a "multimedia phone" a la Nokia N95 than a "PDA phone". And GPS support is a must to me.

The reasons I picked Treo 650 and 700p over other phones were really US avaiability and price. I don't believe Nokia can get their phones' price down so I don't think there are going to be a lot of choice when I am ready to buy the next PDA phone. BTW I really don't mind going back to slim "dumb phones" once I get GPS up and runing properly on the PSP.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/22/2006 at 04:32 PM.
    I want a Treo with the best possible reception.
    Yea, some will say their Treo gets fine reception, but if we started a Poll, putting the Treo against some of the Top Reception Performers, the Treo should win by the majority.
    It's Just Not Right, that these $500+ phones don't excel above and beyond the lower cost phones.
    Just call me Berd.
    I am becoming a multi-phone owner. The Treo 650, of course. Now I have an SDA I bought off Craigslist with the Imate ROM flashed on it. This means I have full push email from my Exchange Server.

* It has wifi. I don't use it. Reason: it's to friggin' painful to surf the web with the SDA. It's too friggin' painful to T9 email. Moral of the story: I thought I absolutely needed wifi. Maybe on a full QWERTY phone, but not on a phone phone.

* No touchscreen. At first I missed it. Now . . . . meh! I can do without it. Moral of the story: I hardly use the touchscreen on my Treo anymore. (On the other hand when I need it I REALLY NEED IT). On balance I'd like this.

* I can really appreciate the care and attention that Palm put into the UI for the Treo. Example: try to take a picture with the Treo. Simplicity. Try to take a picture on the SDA. Not simplicity.

I'm going to buy a Dash on the 25th. No touchscreen, has wifi, full QWERTY on front. I expect this to replace my Treo. I will probalby buy a 750 GSM when it comes out, though.
  12.    #12  
    I put the poll on this thread hoping that many will respond to it so we can all see what many "power users" really want in a PDA. I forgot about digital camera and mp3, but then the poll tool only allows for 10 options...maybe a follow up?

Clearly there is consensus on 3g in the USA, and I hope that many devices come out in the year ahead that make it available to all of us. I also hope posters here will share when they hear about / learn about new 3g USA devices coming to market.

At the same time, I don't want two devices. I still love the idea of convergence, where my one belt-clipped or pocketed device serves all of my electronic communication needs when not in proximity of a lap top or desk top.

I'm not big into wifi in part because my web surfing patience with a small device / small screen are limited (agreeing with Tasty, above), and also because the speeds aren't so radically different in my neck of the woods that I feel a burning desire for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    BTW I really don't mind going back to slim "dumb phones" once I get GPS up and runing properly on the PSP.

I didnt know my PSP is capable of GPS.Is there anything specific I'd have to do?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    I didnt know my PSP is capable of GPS.Is there anything specific I'd have to do?
    The receiver is coming out end of year in Jp, for about 50-60 US dollars. Sony is trying to take care of the PS3 launch before they do anything PSP.

At the same time, I don't want two devices. I still love the idea of convergence, where my one belt-clipped or pocketed device serves all of my electronic communication needs when not in proximity of a lap top or desk top.
    That was what I thought when an iPod was $300 and the only mp3 phone you could get was Treo 600. Now, every freaking phone can play mp3. And really, I have found there is other advantage after I went back to multiple devices, becuase you can also get dual use for that "other device". For example, I got a digital camera taht's also waterproof, and it has given me SOOO much more opportunity to take pictures on outdoor trips. And frankly, if the Treo is small enough to be a phone, the screen by definition is too small for video. I got orb/mobiTV/TCMPM working on my Treo, with a huge memory card, but I never watch video on it. Why? becuase the screen is too physically small.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/23/2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    VGA would be 640x480 on a pda phone (ie Imate JasJar, QTek 9000, etc.).

I'd like that with a slide out vertical keyboard and a smaller form factor.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    What about bigger SD cards?

I am currently using my treo as an iPod substitute, but you can't fit that many tunes on a 2GB SD card. If 8GB cards come down in price, and someone figures out a way to make the treo recognize them, that would be sweeeet.

Alternatively, 2 SD card slots would be good. For those folks who want to run GPS/Wifi card AND have a slot for programs on a card. Alternatively you could run 2 x 8GB cards (one in each slot) and have a 16GB iPod killer!
    With 75% saying a 320x240 VGA is a must, does that mean the Treo isn't going to be your next phone?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    With 75% saying a 320x240 VGA is a must, does that mean the Treo isn't going to be your next phone?
    Absolutely not (unless Palm pulls its head out of its corporate backside and releases something astounding PDQ). But the screen's only one reason. Others are WiFi, GPS, size reduction, BT 2.0, etc. Don't give a damn about the OS as long as it works.
    My only must-haves are touchscreen, non-sliding Qwerty, a camera (even if it sucks), and US-compatible 3G (well, I might settle for a non-3G 680 if it is cheap enough-i.e. free). WM is a must-have to the extent that it supports 3GSM and PalmOS does not.

I don't care at all about wifi, screen resolution, bluetooth or GPS.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by planetpeck
    320x240 VGA
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Beg to differ - consider the 320 x 240 being W x H rather than H x W
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast