Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Prudential: Apple to release two iPhone models, one with WiFi

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2146

"By Prince McLean
    Published: 03:00 PM EST
    Apple Computer plans to introduce two iPod-based cell phone models in the first quarter of 2007 that it will initially manufacture in limited quantities, says one analyst.

In a research note released to clients on Monday, Prudential Equity Group analyst Jesse Tortora said his checks indicate that one model will be a smart phone, including integrated keyboard, video and music capability, while the other model will be a slimmer phone with just music functionality.

The analyst, who remained mum on his sources, said at least one of the models will include WiFi wireless capabilities.

"Although these phones represent significant upside earnings potential for the company, there are some concerns regarding market acceptance and battery life, given the number of functions included in the phones," he wrote. "Our checks indicate that Apple will produce these phones in limited quantities initially as a market test vehicle."

For Apple's fourth fiscal quarter ended September, Tortora expects the Cupertino, Calif.-based company to post some upside to street estimates, driven primarily by Mac sales strength and favorable component cost declines. He's modeling revenue of $4.8 billion and earnings-per-share of $0.55, ahead of consensus estimates of $4.7 billion and $0.51.

"While we expect Mac momentum to continue in the [December quarter] (forecasting 1.9 million units), we are more cautious on the outlook for iPod sales and on Apple’s overall margin prospects," the analyst wrote.

While Tortora said checks indicate Apple is preparing its ODM partners for production orders of as many as 21 million iPod units during the December holiday quarter, he said other checks suggest that iPod unit shipments will come in closer to 16 million units for the quarter.

"Moreover, while our checks indicate that production of Apple's new wide screen video iPod will begin in the [December quarter], we do not expect the product to be released until early next year," he continued. "All told, we would not be surprised to see Apple scale down ODM production plans as the quarter moves on, and think that iPod sales could fall short of investor expectations."

Tortora, who maintains a Neutral rating and $74 price target on shares of Apple, recommended that investors remain on the sidelines until he gets "better visibility into the competitive dynamics of the media player space" and its new product ramps."
    You click the wrong forum maybe?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Wrong forum? Hardly! How does confirmation of an Apple smartphone NOT qualify for this forum? I'm dying to get some OS information. I'm a WM convert, but I can still only imagine a mobile OS with the stability reputation that Apple has earned...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Interesting. Wonder what OS and "smartphone" apps they're using? Not likely Windoze, and building from scratch would be very expensive.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This thread was moved from the 650 forum, Vinman.

Cool info, but by the time they release the phones, will they be too late to the game, like Palm often is? There are so many phones out there, they're going to have to make a real big bang to get people to notice.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    What, indeed? Since first going the converged device route about three years ago, I've gone the route of having all these crazy, superfluous apps, to realizing that I like using my phone, sending text messages, email, surfing the internet, playing a few simple games, and using the media player to listen to music.

I would consider a "from scratch" OS from Apple if it's stable and it allows me to all those things. WiFi and Bluetooth? I'm ready to write a check RIGHT NOW!!!
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Oh, thanks for clarifying that forum thing, Diva. I missed that one!
    From what I heard, they are closer to Sony Ericsson Walkman phones than smart phones. Basically high feature non-smart phones.

Considering how expensive the Walkman phones are, Apple still has alot of window of opportunity to regian the music phone market. The 100-song limit really cripple the Motorola L7.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/17/2006 at 08:04 AM.
    OS X Mobile would be cool if they decide to do a from scratch OS!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I fear analysts. Especially when they are bearing "inside" info about anything Apple. Chances are, he pulled all of this directly out of his a$$.

Anyone can guess what Apple will release, but few actually know what's being designed in Cupertino. These guys are just toying with the stock price to suit their own purposes. It's all a power trip.

This is exactly why on the day this phone is released, all of the forums will be filled with disappointed geeks who didn't get the 20 features that were "predicted."
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I wouldn't be so sure, mrjoec. I've found that analyst predictions have been fairly good, and apple has a well earned reputation of delivering a product that actually has all the features (and more) that the public has hoped for.

...unlike Palm, which, after the treo 600, has shown as much innovation as the Soviet Union.
    Battery life is going to be crucial for this phone to be a success. If you are listening to music and navigating through the phone app's you are going to suck the life out of the battery.
    because of my job...i can see some of the early screen shots of what the OS could be. aint going to go in detail of what i do...but i seen some of the early shots tho. and from what i saw...i hope it's not going to be the actual OS that ends up being on the phone. the shots that i seen resembles palm.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah View Post
    because of my job...i can see some of the early screen shots of what the OS could be. aint going to go in detail of what i do...but i seen some of the early shots tho. and from what i saw...i hope it's not going to be the actual OS that ends up being on the phone. the shots that i seen resembles palm.
    ok, my guess is not a proof reader for their press releases...

oh wait, maybe you gone to Clemson like me?

is you a ag major?

And everyone's number one feature is Wi-Fi, so the phone might as well be a battery or Apple's innovation will eliminate the battery completely or make a hydrogen powered rainbow version.

Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Battery life is going to be crucial for this phone to be a success. If you are listening to music and navigating through the phone app's you are going to suck the life out of the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This thread was moved from the 650 forum, Vinman.

Cool info, but by the time they release the phones, will they be too late to the game, like Palm often is? There are so many phones out there, they're going to have to make a real big bang to get people to notice.
    They don't need to make a big bad apple has bunch and I mean a bunch of loyal fans waiting for Apple to bring the iphone out because as some have put it "every phone on the market is garbage. I need something with the easy use and quality of the ipod."
    OS X Mobile would be cool if they decide to do a from scratch OS!
    They don't need to work from scratch there is a bunch of mobile phone using linux and all they need to do is get their team to adjust the kernel and interface to suit apple needs. Just like os x is a more user friendly version of BSD.
    Nokia, HTC, Motorola, Sony Ericson, vs. Apple. Like MSFT and the Zune in the MP3 player market, Apple has big shoes to fill in the cell market. So yes they do need to make a big splash. That will remain to be seen. Do you really think people are going to just dump their phones for the iPhone? Sure some will, but will it be enough?

It's a good thing they will release limited quantities first, that is smart. So they can see just how much interest the iPhone could really generate. If it's just as good or better than Nokia, maybe I'll look at one.

Do you really think people are going to just dump their phones for the iPhone? Sure some will, but will it be enough?
    I think the perception that Apple and others in the tech-market has is that people are already going to be dumping their phones for a convergence mp3-phone device anyway. Apple just needs to be there with an attractive enough device to grab hold of this growing demand.
    Sony and Nokia have beaten them to it. So to get to those who didn't buy Sony or Nokia, what will they do? Wifi may or may not be enough. Lots of storage, an attractive design and easy interface would help too. UMTS phones are also coming out. I certainly hope Apple can do this, but it does have so much competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast