Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think a key aspect of this upcoming competition is going to be third party software...

Unless Apple can sign on a bunch of 3rd party apps, and actually make the iPhone run 3rd party apps (yeah, cos we all know how open apple is to revealing their code and stuff), then this will be a complete failure. Even the new BB's run some outside apps, and the Q, WM, and of course palm devices have tons of them available.

For me, if I'm looking to buy a converged device, a big part of the equation is not what it can do out of the box, but what it can be "tweaked" into doing!
    Why would Apple need 3rd party if there is no 3rd party in iPod?
    Maybe he meant business and media software and stuff like that. I think if they can make a mobile version of OS X, they'd might be able to get away with that alone, if they include mobile versions of their common apps. Apple may not open itself up to those well known common 3rd party apps. But we will see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I don't really understand what the 3rd party apps and Sony/Nokia have to do with any of this. The original post quoted the "inside information" as stating there will be two models, one of which will be a "smartphone".

Remember, Motorola is already into their 2nd generation of phones running pretty complete versions of iTunes/iPod software. Apple taking it a step further and adding a pared down operating system on a similar platform isn't a huge leap.

Who will buy it? I would seriously consider it. I'm betting Apple's market research shows there are enough people who would buy it to make it worth more effort and money than just a survey - hence the limited initial release.

As far as the 3rd party apps...
    I got into that whole thing when I first got a Treo 600. I had all sorts of crap on that poor device. All I ever used was the palm compatible Real Player, the phone, calendar, email, and web browsing - oh, and Pocket Express. For me, all the other stuff just wastes space and slows down the important functions. WM has all the stuff that I like to play with built into the OS. If Apple's version does, too - I'll look seriously at it. As long as it's stable and I can sync the device to keep my calendar and firmware/software/music updated, I don't care what the platform is.

With Apple's reputation for stable software and simple, intuitive interfacing - I'm interested.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I don't think it's a question of third party apps at all for Apple's target audience. I don't expect a geek phone from Apple, but rather an iPod with a great phone interface and rudimentary PIM functions. Anything beyond that is beyond what the average person wants at the moment.

What they have to do is give it a really simple user interface and a stellar look; make it compatible with iTunes, and keep the size small and the cost down.

Although, I do agree that the competition in this arena is far more fierce than it was in the MP3 player market when the iPod was announced. I think that's why Apple has been so careful about this. They really need a device that stands out, and that's hard in this business. With the iPod, there really was no competition. With cell phones, there are a lot of choices that are "good enough", many of which are free to the customer, thanks to subsidies from the carriers. So no matter what happens, I doubt Apple will walk away with even half the market share it now enjoys with the iPod. The profit is going to have to come from somewhere other than hardware. Maybe some kind of monthly pay service for downloading content from the iTS? A .Mac of sorts for mobile users? I don't know.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Again the reason this will do well is the typical Apple ads, and all the GSM ipod users thinking oh wow this is cool. Its is going to be that perception the look how cool the iPod is, this is cool too, so I have to get it.

I really think Apple is just going to get a linux os and work from there. But if you ever go to a place like macrumors you will realize that appleinsider for the most part tend to be wrong on apple rumors.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    I don't really understand what the 3rd party apps and Sony/Nokia have to do with any of this. The original post quoted the "inside information" as stating there will be two models, one of which will be a "smartphone".
    I meant that Sony and Nokia have released convergent MP3 phones already. I was wondering if Apple wasn't a little too late and if it can capture those who didn't yet buy the Sonys and Nokias. I was only speculating, just as a site that has "rumors" in it's title MIGHT be doing.

The other person was wondering if the phone can take 3rd party apps or he may not be interested.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I think too many people here are looking at this from a smartphone owner's perspective and not looking at how Apple made the iPod work... they didn't just enter an existing market, they changed the market in a fundamental way and made the market bigger.

Before the iPod, how many of your fathers, mothers, older coworkers, grandparents had CD players, walkmans, MP3 players? How many older suit-wearing dudes sitting next to you on the plane had earphones/earbuds on/in listening to music? Apple made the idea of carrying all of (or at least most of) your music with you VERY attractive to people who had never considered it. Sure, it was a hit with music people and kids too, but Apple did an AWESOME job of making the pie bigger rather than just go after a bigger piece of the pie.

I have been waiting for Apple to get into phones not just because I love Apple, but (like them or not) Apple's products fundamentally change the markets they are made for, and you'd be hard pressed to convince me it's not for the better overall...

Step back from your smartphone-owner thinking (people ditching Treos for iPhones) and remember Discmans being replaced with iPods, then video iPods and iPod Minis and Shuffles. Apple making phones will move mobile connectivity/phone/internet access to a place I really want to see it go. Sure, they all won't appeal to people like us, but I'm as interested to see what the competitors come up with to counter as anything else.

It will be a cool time to be techno-geeks

PS. Has anyone thought about the Newton OS
    Treo 755P
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
    ... they didn't just enter an existing market, they changed the market in a fundamental way and made the market bigger.
    True for the iPod, but it's interesting they've been unable to do this with the computer market (laptop or desktop). Probably a pricepoint-related thing.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...it's interesting they've been unable to do this with the computer market (laptop or desktop). Probably a pricepoint-related thing.
    Also true to a large extent, but wouldn't you agree that they push the envelope (not on processor speed so much, but the whole package) and greatly affect the rest of the market?

I'd submit the original iMac as an example (I'm not claiming the iMac was that stunning, just that the rest of the market took notice and tried to counter), see many orange/blue/green computers before that one? And yes, I know the color isn't important to people like us, but the market they were shooting for sure cared and responded.

What if Apple really did make Wi-fi work on a phone along with normal high-speed data where switching from one to the other for data was as easy as switching to a different wi-fi network? Then everyone would be doing it.
    Treo 755P
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
    Also true to a large extent, but wouldn't you agree that they push the envelope (not on processor speed so much, but the whole package) and greatly affect the rest of the market?
    I somewhat agree, but would say Apple makes all of their products a special experience, not just another electronics gadget. It's clear from the moment you hit their web page (or walk into one of their stores) generally they make their stuff:
    - Better (more solid)
    - More intuitive
    - Better looking
    - More fun
    - Cooler

This mystique is carried out through the opening of the box and on to the available accessories. The whole experience is truly polished compared to most other equivalent electronics products on the market.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The whole experience is truly polished compared to most other equivalent electronics products on the market.
    Bingo, well said! I hope some of that rubs off on other smartphone makers if they manage it with the (possibly) upcoming iPhones.
    Treo 755P
    Maybe what Apple will do with these iPhones is incorporate into iTunes the ability to stream your entire music collection on your desktop to your phone ala WinAmp or Orb, etc.

If they seamlessly integrated that into iTunes and didn't require any complicated user set up, that would solve the limited music storage capacity issue on the current phones with iTunes.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Diva, I guess my point was that a true "smartphone" would already have the apps necessary to have a complete experience. All these people talking about 3rd party compatibility took me back to when I first got a Treo 600. Being able to add games and such is great, but I've learned that all I need is to be able to do the stuff I mentioned earlier. If able to do that, plus have a unique Apple experience while doing it, I may just sign up. I'll definitely look...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12