1.    #1  
    So i really want to try out the new Nokia E61 - especially because of the battery life!

However, there is NO GSM coverage where i work, so Cingular is out of the question.

From the research i have done, it dosent seem that Nokia is really interested in CDMA at this time..

What do you all think? Is there any chance that CDMA may see a qwerty device like this from Nokia????
    Keep dreaming...
    at&t iPhone3G
    That would require Nokia to figure out CDMA first.
    Nokia is being sued by Qualcomm, so I dont think so.

Surur
    Just about all the CDMA Nokia phones that you see on CDMA carriers right now are not even made by Nokia, Nokia just puts their name on them. Pantech has been CDMA Nokias for about a year now. Nokia also contracts out Benq for some GSM handsets such as the Nokia 6102. For me, I will only buy Nokias, that are made by Nokia, such as the E61 and N90. Both of mine were made in Finland.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I think Nokia recently announced they had decided to withdraw from CDMA phones completely. Once their existing agreements with Pantech ends I think that will be the end of any Nokia labeled CDMA units.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7.    #7  
    This makes me sad
    I wish CDMA would just go away. Then we wouldn't have the confusion we have now.

Can you imagine if highways were designed in two incompatible designs? if you had to buy a car that could only work on one type and not the other?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    I wish CDMA would just go away. Then we wouldn't have the confusion we have now.

Can you imagine if highways were designed in two incompatible designs? if you had to buy a car that could only work on one type and not the other?
    LOL. And then we have incompetible GSM 3G phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Confusion? I see it as good competition and technological advancement. There are advantages and disadvantages to each side. Besides, I don't see what's so confusing about having to chose between one or the other. When you consider getting a cell phone on a certain carrier, do you first worry about GSM vs. CDMA or coverage and reliability of service?

Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    This isn't really a good comparison because highways are government controlled, not business controlled. Sprint can't decide to all of a sudden build their own highway (at least not without government permission), nor can anyone else. Cell phone technologies on the other hand, involve lots of different companies who want to use lots of different technologies, and that's what allows cell phones to keep advancing technology-wise. Imagine if only one company was allow to make cell phones and only one carrier was allowed to operate in the US. I'm sure we'd still be struggling to find cell phones with color screens or cameras built into them.

Let's say that instead of having AMD and Intel in the consumer CPU market, it was only Intel. Then there'd be people complaining that there's no choice but Intel, they'd complain that Intel isn't being innovative because no one is competing with them, and they'd complain that their prices are too high because no one else is selling consumer CPU chips are comparable prices.

Having a choice is always good for the consumer, even if it is "confusing" at times. I would never want to be limited to one technology/company/device in any market.

And like whatever7 said, even in the GSM market there's incompatability. In fact, I'd say GSM is way more confusing than CDMA. With GSM, you have to worry about what bands your phone uses and what bands are available from your carriers, and then you have to wonder about which of the 4 GSM data services (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA) your carrier supports. And for T-Mobile customers, their handsets are going to use the 1700mhz band for UMTS, which means if they want UMTS, they'll only be able to use phones from T-Mobile, since no one else uses the 1700 mhz band. If anything, CDMA is simpler because there's only two bands (850 & 1900 I think) and you don't have to choose between either one, and there's only 1xRTT and Ev-DO with CDMA, which both major CDMA provide.
    Last edited by Trevante; 10/12/2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Confusion? I see it as good competition and technological advancement. There are advantages and disadvantages to each side. Besides, I don't see what's so confusing about having to chose between one or the other. When you consider getting a cell phone on a certain carrier, do you first worry about GSM vs. CDMA or coverage and reliability of service?
    I worry about GSM vs. CDMA. Two reasons:

1) CDMA won't work in many places that I travel to so that makes it unreliable to me.

2) CDMA phones tend to give callers a "busy signal" if I'm doing data when they try to call me. I never get this on GSM.

3) CDMA has a lot more vendor lock-in. (This reason is a distant-third for me, but it is a bit distasteful to me. There is no reason that a Sprint phone won't work on Verizon or vice-versa, yet they would have you buy another phone just to change networks. With Cingular or T-Mobile you simply enter the unlock code that you can get from them and you are all set to go.)

This isn't really a good comparison because highways are government controlled, not business controlled.
    The implication here is that cell phones are outside of government control and are not "infrastructure".
    The EU and the FCC might disagree. <smile>

I'm all for choice, I'd just rather see it on the same network. The confusion I was referring to are questions such as "which phone to buy? Will it work on my network? Why can't I take it with me if I move to another network?"
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    1. Well if you realize that CDMA doesn't work for you, then why worry about GSM vs CDMA? Go with what works for you and finish the story. For me, CDMA works just fine; I have good coverage and access to Ev-DO highspeed for only $15 a month. If I were on Cingular or T-Mobile, I'd be paying $30-$40 for internet, and it wouldn't even be as fast or as readily available as Ev-DO. Therefore, I chose CDMA because it works for me. Now if there was no CDMA, I'd be stuck with GSM's slower data speeds, lower availability of high speed access, and higher data rates. It's just a matter of picking what works for you.

2. This is typically true of older 1xRTT devices. Most Ev-DO phones nowadays will ring through even during active data transfer. I know my A900 does (although I had to change a setting in a hidden menu, but the phone is capable of it). I'm quite sure the 700 series Treos also ring through. What phone do you have?

3. I do agree with this, but then again, you have to consider that even if you got a Sprint phone working on a Verizon or vice versa (there are some people who have this setup), a lot of the carrier specific functions (SprintTV, Picturemail, Vcast, etc) would be useless, and you'd have a very basic phone).

Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    The implication here is that cell phones are outside of government control and are not "infrastructure".
    The EU and the FCC might disagree. <smile>
    Well yes, the government does regulate the cell phone industry to make sure the companies adhere to certain standards, but after that, the government doesn't say to Sprint, "make sure your phones work with Verizon" or "you must only have phones with GSM and CDMA support so people can buy your phones and switch to any carrier they want". It's about keeping companies competitive, even if sometimes it's disadvantageous to the consumer.
    In the case of a highway, the government themselves oversees the construction of the highway and therefore can decide to make two incompatible highways if they want.
  13.    #13  
    Well this is the dilemma i am in:
    The area where i work (and lived for 10 years) will probably never have GSM. In fact its not even a Sprint OR Verizon home area. Only Carolina West (VERY small company)
    I really wish it was like Europe in that ALL towers were either one or the other. Frankly i wouldnt care which.. But i am pretty much stuck with Verizon or Sprint for as long as I keep going up the mountain to work.

I would love to try the Nokia E61 because it seems like an awesome device... But i just cant..
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    1. Well if you realize that CDMA doesn't work for you, then why worry about GSM vs CDMA? Go with what works for you and finish the story. For me, CDMA works just fine; I have good coverage and access to Ev-DO highspeed for only $15 a month. If I were on Cingular or T-Mobile, I'd be paying $30-$40 for internet, and it wouldn't even be as fast or as readily available as Ev-DO. Therefore, I chose CDMA because it works for me. Now if there was no CDMA, I'd be stuck with GSM's slower data speeds, lower availability of high speed access, and higher data rates. It's just a matter of picking what works for you.

2. This is typically true of older 1xRTT devices. Most Ev-DO phones nowadays will ring through even during active data transfer. I know my A900 does (although I had to change a setting in a hidden menu, but the phone is capable of it). I'm quite sure the 700 series Treos also ring through. What phone do you have?

3. I do agree with this, but then again, you have to consider that even if you got a Sprint phone working on a Verizon or vice versa (there are some people who have this setup), a lot of the carrier specific functions (SprintTV, Picturemail, Vcast, etc) would be useless, and you'd have a very basic phone).

Well yes, the government does regulate the cell phone industry to make sure the companies adhere to certain standards, but after that, the government doesn't say to Sprint, "make sure your phones work with Verizon" or "you must only have phones with GSM and CDMA support so people can buy your phones and switch to any carrier they want". It's about keeping companies competitive, even if sometimes it's disadvantageous to the consumer.
    In the case of a highway, the government themselves oversees the construction of the highway and therefore can decide to make two incompatible highways if they want.

Actually my original post was tounge-in-cheek, but non-the-less my only point was to express that if we had one compatible network (GSM or CDMA) we wouldn't hear all of these messages about "When does device X come out on CMDA?" or "Why can't we get the latest Treo on GSM?" because they would, at least in theory, be available to all carriers at the same time. If *your* carrier didn't have it then you buy an unlocked version at a higher price and you are good to go. The vendors would also have an advantage of lower development costs (not having to build the same device for two different competing radios.)

If history is a teacher then in the end there will probably be one network type anyway. We used to have dozens of different computer types (CP/M, Radio Shack, Commodore, TI, etc.) and now we have two (Mac / PC which interoperate very well), we had two different types of video (VHS/Beta) which became one, we will soon have two different types of HD-DVD (Blue Ray and HD-DVD) which most people think will eventually become one or the other, there is no reason to think Cell phones will be any different. CDMA or GSM or something else. Who knows. Like you said: Get what works for you ...
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys: