Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any takers??
    Cnet rated it 8.3 above any other smartphones including 700p.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Ericsso...tag=cnetfd.mw2

The good:
    The Sony Ericsson P990i is the crème de la crème of Sony Ericsson smart phones, with a sleek design that incorporates a QWERTY keyboard coupled with the latest in mobile technology. Features include a 2-megapixel camera, a music player, a business card scanner, video recording, and support for 3G/UMTS and for Wi-Fi networks.

The bad:
    The Sony Ericsson P990i is a little on the bulky side, and the QWERTY keyboard may be too small for some people. The price is also prohibitively high.

The bottom line:
    The Sony Ericsson P990i may be the perfect smart phone for tech-minded consumers, but its exorbitantly high price may put a lot of people off.

Specs:
    Business card scanner – save biz cards in your P990i
    3G/UMTS – enjoy the latest operator services
    RSS reader – get to up-to-the-minute news straight to your phone
    Video call – see who you’re talking to
    High quality 30fps (frames per second) video recording
    Music player and FM RDS radio – music and entertainment around the clock
    2 megapixel camera with autofocus – pictures to be proud of
    60MB internal memory + 64MB Memory Stick PRO Duo™ included in kit
    WLAN 802.11b – high speed Internet access
    Symbian 9.1 – add features to your phone
    Advanced mobile phone and organizer (UIQ 3.0) – effective business tool
    Last edited by Ehsan; 10/07/2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: picture update
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I don't think it is has quad band GPRS or tri-band 3G.
    Its a good phone, but too many bugs according to the two reviews already out about it. That is not to say that it is not a phone to want, that and the N95 can officailly lay claim to being the best equipped phones on the market - and given some software fixes and program additoins, they could be the best.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah u are right but given SonyEricsson people history of taking customer complaints seriously I think software issues can be fixed very soon. I will watch for that. But honestly I like this phone a lot. Since symbian software catalog contains most of the names I want I can jump the ship instantly.
    And yes you are right N95 is class of its own and since we know its from nokia; there is less chance of them mess-ing up. But I wish they could have all these features to E61 or they could add QWERTY keyboard to N95. Alas....
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    This phone is what, supposed to come out 10 months ago?
    I think that phone was already available for a while, just not for the US. Cnet US mostly reviews phones that were approved or slated for approval for US usage. Like I was saying in another thread, it's hard to get phones authorized here. Thank the FCC. Nokia told me they are also responsible for the hold up of the "official" N73 release over here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think that phone was already available for a while, just not for the US. Cnet US mostly reviews phones that were approved or slated for approval for US usage. Like I was saying in another thread, it's hard to get phones authorized here. Thank the FCC. Nokia told me they are also responsible for the hold up of the "official" N73 release over here.
    I thought so too, from what I read on howardforums. The problem is just that it's way too expensive. I don't understand why the reviews come out now.
    Because it's just now officially available for US usage?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well it's not on sonystyle.com.

Anyhoo it's a triband, I feel sorry for those guys.
    An even better example (than the Treo) of too little too late. No UMTS, tri-band and just as bulky as the Treo. And expensive also. Once upon a time I owned the P800 and the P900, but there's nothing that would get me to buy this phone.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    This phone is what, supposed to come out 10 months ago?
    It was anounced in October last year so it's taken 12 months to come to market
    I got it
    Of course, Im in Bahrain

Anyway, this phone rocks, customer service is amazing, very durable and is everything I wanted my future Treo to be.

Me am Happy!
    It was released in Sweden in August. I was offered a really good deal on it through Swedish operator Tre. Will probably get it next week, and then it's goodbye Treo unfortunately. I've waited long enough for the "Hollywood" and then Palm only releases it through Vodafone...
    Will it work with T mo in US ?
    All initial bugs have been fixed with updates.
    Has any one researched a good price . Ebay around 700 or so. I am tempted

SE phones are rock solid.....
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    The problem is with roaming. Tri-band means you'll stay on 1900. Roaming would mean Cingular's 850. You may need a quad band. Nokia released a US tri-band, they replaced 900 with 850. That would solve the roaming problem if Sony released one made for North America.

SE phones are solid? Anyone ever use the W810i, the Walkman phone? I was looking at that for a fun phone.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Seriously, who the hell uses a business card scanner? Unless you're at a conference meeting 200 people a day and absolutley MUST have all their info cloggin up your contacts list, such a feature is just about uselsss to 99% of normal earthlings.

Looks like a nice form factor, altho I don't know how long it would last in my hands before that fold-down bit snapped off !
    I would. I dislike entering stuff manually, it's tedious. I'm lazy like that. And I do collect a LOT of business cards from contacts that I need or will need in the near future. That's actually a good idea for those with tons of cards laying around, like me.

I'm still hoping SE will release a North America version of the P990 (P990a?), too bad the N95 doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, I'd be all over it. Perhaps Nokia has a future Communicator series coming out soon with all of the features of the N95...
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    I picked one of these up in August and it is a very good phone. It's still buggy but the latest firmware has improved things. I haven't switched to it full time because of all the Palm OS software I rely on and there aren't that many applications for UIQ3 yet. For those worried about the flip breaking, it can be removed and the device used Treo style. Blackberry connect is available and the keyboard is nearly as good as the Treo and for people who say WiFi isn't really needed, this device saved me a huge amount of money when I was roaming in Europe. It's browser is the best I've seen on any device using WiFi or 3G. I use a Mac so I don't now how well the PC Suite works but I got it syncing my Entourage data over the air with a hosted Exhange account.

A far from perfect device but well worth a look if the current crop of Treos don't float your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Seriously, who the hell uses a business card scanner? Unless you're at a conference meeting 200 people a day and absolutley MUST have all their info cloggin up your contacts list, such a feature is just about uselsss to 99% of normal earthlings.

Looks like a nice form factor, altho I don't know how long it would last in my hands before that fold-down bit snapped off !
    I do

Bus. cards pile up very fast.
    I used to file them in a normal file, but shifting them to contacts & letting plaxo update them is alot easier.
    I know many managers that just pile cards in thier desks and use a rubber band as an organizer, simply because they think its too labourus to write the whole thing down. A business card scanner is smart!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast