Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I wanted to counterpoint this but I will let the devices spoken about speak for themselves:
    SE P990i - not US frequencies, more style, much better camera and wifi
    E61 - wifi, UMTS (euro), best web browser on the market
    E62 - ur right, its neutered, and even without 3G will bang the web faster because of its nice browser
    BB Pearl - size, style, push email without thinking about it; extending the OS is for folks like us, most just want a phone that helps them stay connected without having to admin it
    BB 8707 - push email about tops it for most; but that system sells the device, not the other way around
    i600 - its better than the 750v ok
    Trinity: battery life might be an issue, so to no keyboard, but its stacked in a package the same size as the Treo, uhmmm...
    TyTn - slightly plumper with a keyboard and more stacked in it, uhmmm...
    750v - specal sauce's expiration date is coming soon, Palm needs true differentiation, not just the best smartphone form factor on the market

And that coming from a guy who likes his 650 quite much, uhmmmm...
    i really enjoyed the article. i think though the category that palm invented some years ago, is now just holding up the rear. if more wireless companies in the US supported converged devices palm's future would be rather dim because people would see what real smart phones have and can do.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    i really enjoyed the article. i think though the category that palm invented some years ago, is now just holding up the rear. if more wireless companies in the US supported converged devices palm's future would be rather dim because people would see what real smart phones have and can do.
    Neat points there. You mention a point that was spoken about on Palm Addict yesterday and I think very well holds true. Palm made the mark but people dont want the mark, they want something less than the mark.

In the US, for carriers to support converged devices would kill them and the rest of the computing industry. Reason: think about it like this: you have told people for years they need bigger faster and better and here comes that "trusted" phone company saying that your phone is jsut as powerful and capable. To a causal user this is not only a paradigm shift, but a change in computing culture that takes money out of pockets of some and into the pockets of few. Plus, in the US, we dont want more capable anything it seems, just bigger and flashier (dang automotive industry mindset).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    This statement is one of the most ignorant I've ever read in an article. I'm no Nokia fan boy, but can you please give credit where credit is due. The E61/E62 is NOT Nokia's first foot forward in the smartphone market. Nokia has been building and selling more smartphones than any other company in the world for the past 5 years. It's crap like this that gives Treo users a bad name.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpprc View Post
    The E61/E62 is NOT Nokia's first foot forward in the smartphone market. Nokia has been building and selling more smartphones than any other company in the world for the past 5 years.
    Yep. Of the 16.7 M 'smart mobile devices' sold Q1 2006 (the last Q before the E61 was available, I think) Nokia sold 8.6 M of them:

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm
    "So which smartphone comes out on top? Treo 750v should be able to slug it out with the HTC phones admirably, should they become available on carriers. With the other phones, it's probably a knockout."

Why doesn't the E61 get into this final reckoning? Because it's 'not made for the US' or because the E62 lacks 3G and Wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by ajpprc View Post
    This statement is one of the most ignorant I've ever read in an article. I'm no Nokia fan boy, but can you please give credit where credit is due. The E61/E62 is NOT Nokia's first foot forward in the smartphone market. Nokia has been building and selling more smartphones than any other company in the world for the past 5 years. It's crap like this that gives Treo users a bad name.

He probably meant "successful" PDA phone. Frankenstein 9000 communicator notwithsatnding.
    The article is US biased +++. In Europe smartphone = Nokia, not Treo.

Surur
    The article is US biased +++. In Europe smartphone = Nokia, not Treo.
    (clap)(clap)(clap)
    This is true (speaking as a writer who does the US viewpoint a lot, its a hard thing not to have, but it comes off a lot).

Unfortunately, its not exactly cost effective to try phones in culturally relvelant ways (at least not all of us, the MObile Burn guy really does a great job with it).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Ah...Errr....

I think they missed one pretty big player: The iPAQ hw694X! Even though it doesn't have 3G, it's a pretty tough EDGE capable package to beat!
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    He probably meant "successful" PDA phone. Frankenstein 9000 communicator notwithsatnding.
    Nokias are more successsful than Treos, technically.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Nokias are more successsful than Treos, technically.

Nokia owns 42% of the combined PDA and smartphone market, compared to single-digit market share for Research in Motion (RIM), Motorola and Palm, according to a study released Thursday by Gartner.

Worldwide, that market reached 42.1 million units, a 57% rise from the same period last year. Most of the growth was driven by sales of smartphones, which rose 75.5% to 34.7 million units. In contrast, PDAs grew very slowly, climbing only 5.7% to 7.4 million units.

Nokia could add to its lead in the second half of 2006 as it launches new models of smartphones, said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst for Gartner.
    At the bottom of the pile, Palm saw its sales sink 26%, leaving it with only 5% of the combined worldwide market for PDAs and smartphones. In fact, the company has launched no new PDA models in 2006.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...one-sales.html

If this is failure I dont know what you would call Palm's performance.

Surur
    I have a feeling Whatever was thinking from a US point of view. Which is why I said "techically", but I probably should have said "actually". It's been said that Nokia smartphones don't do well here for some reason. Now that they have stores in the US, maybe that will change. Lots of browsers and some surprising buyers were in the Chicago store!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i was at lunch today with a colleague....he has the SAME requirements as myself from a business perspective. what was knowingly different and obvious were the sizes of the devices sitting on the lunch table.

treo 700w and Moto Q for sale, for cheap. $200 for the both of them.
    Umm, so what devices were on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i was at lunch today with a colleague....he has the SAME requirements as myself from a business perspective. what was knowingly different and obvious were the sizes of the devices sitting on the lunch table.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I wouldn't argue that Nokia leads the smartphone market. However if you looked at the U.S. only, I think that Nokia performance would be a bit underwhelming.

These numbers are a bit misleading though. Phones sales have always dwarfed PDAs. To now combine PDAs and smartphones and say Palm's shares have fallen smacks of "statistics" (as in lies, damned lies, and statistics).

To be honest, the last thing I'd take Palm to task for is not introing new PDAs. How many PDAs did Nokia introduce in 2006? That's right, none.

I think the 750 is a step in the right direction. I'm not a Palm bigot, I just want a great device. I went through Verizon and Cingular stores today and try as I might, I honestly thought the Treos I saw were the best devices, I just can't find anything compelling about the other devices currently available. I really want to like a Nokia, but the E62/E61 just doesn't do it for me. If the E61 supported U.S. UMTS frequencies I might like it. But Symbian S60 3rd edition software is still pretty sparse.

I think all the devices and platforms have issues. But when I listen to the constant whine here that Palm has lost it, I look at the current devices and I don't buy it. Granted, Palm has taken too long on the GSM side, but I'm not convinced that the 750 and 680 won't do reasonably well in the current market.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

At the bottom of the pile, Palm saw its sales sink 26%, leaving it with only 5% of the combined worldwide market for PDAs and smartphones. In fact, the company has launched no new PDA models in 2006.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...one-sales.html

If this is failure I dont know what you would call Palm's performance.

Surur
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

oalvarez, I'm in Pasadena so we're probably not too far from each other. My first thought was to PM you and buy these if I could. My second thought was to remember the posts you have been making about the Pearl.
    $200 for the both of them....
    I wonder if Nokia will ever issue an "E63" with proper US frequencies (especially for 3G), and WiFI, and a camera? That would trounce the competition.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    "the short-term competitive advantage of "Palm's Special Sauce" -- their integration of software and hardware. The problem - this competitive advantage can always be lost with a competitor's firmware update."

I think the author underestimates the special sauce of Palm. If it was so easy to emulate what Palm brings to the table, surely Nokia, Samsung and others would have done so already. Competitors are emulating Palm in hardware but they don't seem to be able to touch Palm's know-how on software usability and simple-but-really-useful innovations.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 10/09/2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarity
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12