Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my New HP HW6945 yesterday. After playing with it, setting it up..etc. here is my opinion.

First the "good points"
    Obviously lots of PPC software and thats Fun!
    the keyboard is well lit and visible in all lighting situations
    the screen is nice, good color rendition.
    wifi works well with easy connect
    the GPS workd fairly well with the included 60 daY TRIAL of software , ($129 if you want to buy it thereafter)
    Voice clling is clear and reception is good

now the bad:
    My Bluetooth headsets will pair but NOT work ( tried Jabra JX10, Nokia 800, Plantronics 940) all of them paired but did not connect with the 6945 during a call) I have called HP I may replace the device or return it for my money back

The materials used are FLIMSY! the battery cover is like a piece of paper, cheap plastic. I will be surprised if the little slide tabs dont break off.

The keyboard has a plastic cheap Toy-like feel to it.

The camera takes a decent pic but make sure you wait 3 seconds AFTER you snap the photo because of the excessive shutter lag.

The overall speed of the device is reallllllllllllly slow Out of the box, it is slow. adding a few basic programs and it becomes tediously slow. I thought the device crashed several times only to have it pop to life 7...8.. seconds AFTER i initiated the task.

The center nav button is horrible It is sharp, very cheap feeling, and uncomfortable.

Overall, when compared to my Nokia E61.. there really isnt a comparison in quality of build and reliabilty.

I LOVE my E61 I just wish it had more programs... I may give this HPhw6945 another try with a new unit and see if the Bluetooth works, but for $600.00 I would hope the device works perfectly the first time ( like my $300 Nokia E61)
    I guess the build quality and quality control at HP is indicated by the Bluetooth issue i am having now.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If you decide you don't want to keep it and have an interest in the Qtek 9000 (HTC Universal) then get in touch with me! I really like that HP...flaws be damned...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    I guess the build quality and quality control at HP is indicated by the Bluetooth issue i am having now.
    Aren't they manufactured for them by HTC
    Sony Ericsson and Nokia really have the best bluetooth implementation, and all the headsets are tested against their devices to make sure they work (because the dominate the market in most places).

MS bluetooth still has a long way to go.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    HP should not be selling these if in fact the bluetooth is so poor as indicated by my unit.No wonder why Cingular hasnt picked this up yet and HP is selling them on their own! The ipaq as always... a paperweight POS in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I still want one. Synchronizing with my laptop is really the only time I use bluetooth so if really is that bad I think I can work around that. I haven't read about any of these complaints anywhere else but I guess it is good to learn of different experiences from users.
    Get one with a return option if you do. They are about $700. If the BT does turn out to be bad, that's not good for that price.

I don't like the sound of the bad build quality. I have the E61 and am very happy with the build quality.

Also, can someone tell me why the hw6910/15 is MORE than a 6945??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I had 3 different HP pda H1945, the RX3115, and the RX3417. I never had a build quality issues, no bluetooth connection issues or any customer support issues. I sold my RX3417 back in April. It was the best PDA I have used(not including smart phones).
    I still have the rx1955 and the hx2495. No build quality issues with them either. PDAs are almost outdated since phones now have them as converged devices, but I'm keeping mine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have an HP 6915. (or rather my wife has). It uses the widcomm bluetooth stack, which provides more profiles than the MS stack, and is much sought after. I do not use a headset with it, so I don't know how effective or not it is, but I have no problems with the build quality, and I think its actually a bit slimmer and more stylish than the E61. Also my device is quite fast and snappy, and very stable.

Surur
    You're not going to talk me into getting rid of my E61s!! Sure, they look like Nokia Blackberrys, but the aluminum case and screen are REALLY good!

So the difference in price on the 6910/15 is the BT stack? Because they look the same to me on the outside.

12.    #12  
    I have both E61 and HP HW6945, My replacement Ipaq unit is arriving today, I will give you an update on this Bluetooth connection with headsets, (Plantronics 640, Jabra JX10, and Nokia 800)
    As for Surur commenting that the Ipaq 6900 is thinner than the E61?? uhmmm NO it is not. I wish people would make comments when they actually know the facts. The 6900 is nearly twice as thick from the bottom of the screen to the bottom of the device and 1 mm or so thicker towards the top. This is due to the wedge shape that the Nokia E61 has.
    I will see if i can post some pics and video of the flexible plastic battery cover . As far as quality? I too think previous Ipaqs had better build quality, I am not talking about previous Ipaqs.. I am talking about the hw6945. The battery cover piece can be flexed to close to a "C" shape!! The "click" of the keys is so chinsey sounding let me see if I can think of a sound you may relate to..... okay... If I press 4 0r 5 or more buttons simultaneously ( device off so i dont drive the unit crazy), the sound is like squeezing a bubble pack, you know those tiny air filled protective packing filler in fragile shipping cartons... well it sounds like that!! of course not as POPPing loud but the tone is very very close.
    Now... try typing away in a quiet room ( a meeting for example) and listening to this... eeeeks...
    My Nokia has a much much better tactile feel without the annoying sound of the ipaq, and the plastic is just sooooo friggin cheap feeling.
  13.    #13  
    I just recieved my Replacement Ipaq HW6945 It is confirmed
    The Bluetooth On This device is not working with any of the bluetooth headsets I listed above.
    The Plantronics 640 is actually listed on Hp's website as a compatible BT headset.. It does not work on either device I have recieved.
    The BT headsets pair but DO NOT WORK with calls to or from the device. The headphone icon does not show in the bar and nothing happens no matter what I do.
    Great huh?? Nice quality control... another ipaq flunk.
    Played with one of these in London while conencting at Heathrow. Not impressed with it at all. I think the 8525 is going to be better and the Treo 750, even though it will not have wifi, will be another improvement.
  15.    #15  
    okay now working . setup required manual seetings
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I understand what you mean about the keys being too loud and cheap. I don't recall which phone I had that was like that, but it simply was not nice to type on simply because of the annoyingly cheap sound, and that ruined the experience of owning something that was supposedly nice.

I am seriously looking for another phone to have along-side my Universal and hearing things like that about one of my top choices really is dissappointing. I can overlook bluetooth issues but a cheap keyboard is too much..especially since that is its main attraction. I guess this may leave only the Hermes/TyTN, the E61 (yeah, I am still thinking about that one since I really prefer touchscreens), and maybe a Blackberry.
    I do not like the 6915. I have had it for a month now. It is back to my Nokia E61. WM5 is no where close to 1.Symbain 2. Palm OS. I may try a 750vw or whatever when I coems out. But this thing is horrid. It is getting ebayed as soon as I get home.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You guys with the 6915s...Would you trade it for a Qtek 9000? I want to get one of these for my second line since I use that one while getting around for work.
    No trades. I am anti windows
    The 750 tweaked WM5 to be more user friendly, I understand. Don't necessarily give up on WM5 yet.

How's the build quality of the 6515?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast