Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just purchased my first ever T-Mobile product, the Blackberry Pearl. Observations so far:

-The T-Mobile in-store experience was the most pleasant of any cell provider store ever visited. The staff handle both sales and tech related questions, there are no "sign-in" ques or stations. I was out of there in less than 10 minutes.

-The Pearl has an amazing form factor, i like it better than the Q (i own that too, along with a 700w) as it is easier to hold in hand and less big in pocket (it's only 2in wide) and it weighs only 3oz. the black/chrome is a nice touch as well but it does smudge up.

-coverage in my area appears better than that of Sprint's. i live a short hop outside of downtown los angeles.

-browsing/downloading speeds is not as fast as EVDO on VZ. the websites are robust (pictures and the like) but take a little bit more time to download completely. the nice thing is that you don't have to adjust for desktop/column/etc.....if you LOVE TO BROWSE this device isn't for you. it does display pics and does a good job of organizing content on the web page.

-op system/functionality/keyboard: i'm a past Blackberry user so it works for me out of the box. the op system isn't anywhere as "neat" and "orderly" as windows, but at the same time, it's actually more simple if that makes any sense. as for the keyboard? it is a very small device, so larger fingers won't like it. ordinary in e-mail typing is a breeze but it becomes more difficult when having to type in an unknown web address (only my first day using the smartkey keyboard system). my spouse can navigate thru it as fast as i can on my treo given that she uses a blackberry 7100 at the moment (co. issue). i'm not much of a 3rd party app guy so i don't miss the flexibility just yet. if you like simplicity then you will like this device.

-GSM: that speaks for itself, especially for the business traveler

-the ringers are darn cool...right out of the box

OK: i don't miss the form-factor of the Moto-Q one bit, this one is much preferred. starting to come down to the operating system for what I NEED the device to do (handle a grazillion emails, allow phone/data anywhere, and internet....office docs? only a laptop/desktop could handle those). love the smallness in pocket and the simplicity of the device, that is what i like so far. i keep asking myself: why would i want to carry a treo ever again? all i need is email/phone/contacts/internet/camera and to view docs....so far so great

-Trackball: ingenious, i love it....especially at night when it's lit up, adds to the coolness factor.

-customer service over the phone: on par if not better than verizon...t-mobile stands for service

-SMS: THREADED SMS and that seems to be important to many of you out there

-pdf's, word docs, sheets can be viewed

-SCREEN BRIGHTNESS: is brighter than my 700w or WX and on par with the Q

-BATTERY LIFE: incredible....had it receiving EVERY bloomberg/email message (on the treo i would have only certain emails delivered/forwarded because of poor battery life) and it had 4 out of 5 battery bars left (4am-5pm)....UNBELIEVABLE! if i had the treo receiving every transmission the battery would have not lasted beyond late morning-noon (4am start).

more to come
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/25/2006 at 06:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It sure does look good. Let us know if the "scroll ball," the Pearl, activates the phone unintentionally. I have heard something about that happening but haven't been following the phone too closely.
    I read it disables the ring of an incoming call. It was in another thread here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    ^when the call is received you can choose between answer and ignore. it is not until you CLICK on either that a decision is made. in other words, the user can scroll up/down across "answer/ignore" without affecting the outcome.
    Someone claimed if you even bump the scroll ball, the ringer will be silenced.

Here's the link.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C9585/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    ran the test. moving the scroll bar does silence the ringer. one can still answer the call though.

remember to review the original post as i keep adding to it as i use the device.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/22/2006 at 11:02 PM.
  7.    #7  
    -Trackball: ingenious, i love it....especially at night when it's lit up, adds to the coolness factor.

-customer service over the phone: on par if not better than verizon...t-mobile stands for service

-SMS: THREADED SMS and that seems to be important to many of you out there

-pdf's, word docs, sheets can be viewed

-SCREEN BRIGHTNESS: is brighter than my 700w or WX and on par with the Q

-BATTERY LIFE: incredible....had it receiving EVERY bloomberg/email message (on the treo i would have only certain emails delivered/forwarded because of poor battery life) and it had 4 out of 5 battery bars left (4am-5pm)....UNBELIEVABLE! if i had the treo receiving every transmission the battery would have not lasted beyond late morning-noon (4am start).
  8.    #8  
    -Documents: opened up a spreadsheet and was able to view it(small/med/large)....i also was able to view a pdf.....word docs/email also show images.....
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I was in a T-Mobile store today, oddly enough, looking for a phone as a gift for someone and picked up some of the Blackberries they had out. This Pearl was one of them and I like the feel of it. It feels like it is built better than either of my PPC phones and the form factor is just great. They really got that part right. I don't like the UI much but I am accustomed to using Windows Mobile.

I owned a 7105t so I have experience with the Blackberry and my biggest problem was the lack of a robust PIM suite. Contacts had fields missing that I really needed (like the second home address for someone which was simply omitted without warning), or the unintuitive Calendar setup with limited functionality, and I was annoyed by the single inbox for every type of message that came in. SMS messages should have a separate inbox, account, window, or whatever else you want to call it, than emails. If I have two email accounts on the phone they should be in separate inboxes.

I did not play for long so could you tell me if changes like this have been made to the new device?
    Cingular may be getting this phone too. And more complaints about the scroll wheel turning off the ringer(in the posts under the article). Seems to bug enough people to take notice that this "feature" isn't desired by everyone.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...too-202718.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6637761.html

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    I was in a T-Mobile store today, oddly enough, looking for a phone as a gift for someone and picked up some of the Blackberries they had out. This Pearl was one of them and I like the feel of it. It feels like it is built better than either of my PPC phones and the form factor is just great. They really got that part right. I don't like the UI much but I am accustomed to using Windows Mobile.

I owned a 7105t so I have experience with the Blackberry and my biggest problem was the lack of a robust PIM suite. Contacts had fields missing that I really needed (like the second home address for someone which was simply omitted without warning), or the unintuitive Calendar setup with limited functionality, and I was annoyed by the single inbox for every type of message that came in. SMS messages should have a separate inbox, account, window, or whatever else you want to call it, than emails. If I have two email accounts on the phone they should be in separate inboxes.

I did not play for long so could you tell me if changes like this have been made to the new device?
    as far as the inbox's/subfolders go, the user can choose any which subfolder to have mail directed from. viewing the inbox shows just that and that is where the sms msgs go. not sure this helps much.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Cingular may be getting this phone too. And more complaints about the scroll wheel turning off the ringer(in the posts under the article). Seems to bug enough people to take notice that this "feature" isn't desired by everyone.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellp...too-202718.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6637761.html
    good to hear about Cingular. as for the scroll wheel, it is what it is for now, not a deal breaker for me just yet. take care.
    Have you tried running Opera Mini on it?

It's a great fast browser (i use it almost exclusively for browsing on my 700wx). Just use the browser on the device and browse to http://mini.opera.com/ and download it from there.
  14.    #14  
    great tip, thanks!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    From what I understand, the keyboard has a weird tactile feel to it that causes an unpleasant typing experiance. I did see one of these in the wild (the number 1 train in NYC's westside, and I was impressed by how small and sleek this phone was.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  16.    #16  
    the typing experience is just a typing experience, nothing more, nothing less. there is no unpleasantness or weirdness that i can speak to, i promise. i went out to lunch with a buddy of mine yesterday, he with his treo, i had my pearl. we both work at the same firm, do just about the same job, share the same phone needs. he of course put the Treo on the table, mine stayed in my shirt pocket. that's when i said to myself "i'm glad i don't have to lug one of those around anymore...."
    I played around with one last night at a tmo store, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Olavarez, are you sure about the threaded sms, I could not find that on the device.

The hardware is very nice, and would be the first in line if it ran a better OS.
  18.    #18  
    i have no reason to lie! yes, the sms is threaded, i can see/read all msgs from the sender and my replies. as for the os, it offers me what i need, then again, i don't need much. i can make calls, email, browse on the internet, access my calendar and contacts, and the like. offers all the conveniences such as bluetooth and a camera/video, it can even play music. it has voice capabilities. that's more than enough for me while i'm away from the office at lunch or sitting around the pool on vacation. i have a laptop for anything else.

the pearl is going to be a huge seller, mark my words.
    If they released a Pearl that has 3G, that would be a killer too!

20.    #20  
    Lady Diva, i know we don't agree on everything but i think we agree that Treos are no longer the only choice when it comes to PDA's/Smartphones. The Pearl is a great device.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast