Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    can anyone point me to the right spot for TOP software to install to Pearl?

thanks!
    Programs I have loaded on my pearl....

PocketLists - www.crossriversystems.com
    Yahoo Messenger - mobile.blackberry.com (from blackberry)
    SplashID - www.splashdata.com
    Berry411 (awesome app) http://www.thebogles.com/blog/projects/berry411/
    gmail app - gmail.com from blackberry
    So, you are back to using the 750v? What happened to bring you back? Are you keeping the 8525?

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    That's correct. @jlczl, the carrier BIS is basically the same thing as mail2web or 4smartphone.net.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    MediaMax200
    I tried to change to the MediaMax200, but they got me when I said I have the Blackjack. Guess I should have just said that I have a Razr or some other non-qwerty phone!

Uggh!!!
    Last edited by mrjasjit; 12/20/2006 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    So, you are back to using the 750v? What happened to bring you back? Are you keeping the 8525?
    I was waiting for you to notice that ;-). I am returning the 8525 back to Cingular as I am still within my 30 day return window. Since I already sold my 750v, I had to reorder a new one from CTI-Miami. I just miss the form factor of the Treo. The 8525 is a solid device and has plenty to keep me busy, but it's not a very good phone in terms of usability. The call quality is excellent though.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    The form factor is what keeps me using it. Everytime I get fed up with the little bugs and get ready to switch, the form factor pulls me back. Too bad Cingular didn't release theirs yet. I'm very tempted to try a Cingular 750 to see if it resolves some of the problems I see.

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    I was waiting for you to notice that ;-). I am returning the 8525 back to Cingular as I am still within my 30 day return window. Since I already sold my 750v, I had to reorder a new one from CTI-Miami. I just miss the form factor of the Treo. The 8525 is a solid device and has plenty to keep me busy, but it's not a very good phone in terms of usability. The call quality is excellent though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The form factor is what keeps me using it. Everytime I get fed up with the little bugs and get ready to switch, the form factor pulls me back. Too bad Cingular didn't release theirs yet. I'm very tempted to try a Cingular 750 to see if it resolves some of the problems I see.
    I am curious to what Cingular includes on the ROM. I was going to wait, but after having a Vodafone version already, I was pleased with the software stack and quality. I'm just glad to be back on it. I know I will miss a lot of the great features on the 8525, but Treo has always been home for me.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Ok... I'm considering "defecting" from a Sprint 700P to a BB Pearl (gasp!). Although I consider myself a power-user, I'm getting tired of carrying around a brick when I travel or just am out and about. My main uses for the Treo are POP3 email (multiple accounts), web browsing, IM, listening to MP3s (occasionally), videos (rarely, but have watched a few) and installing software to account for gaps in what Palm provided (kidding). After playing with my wife's new BB Pearl, it seems like the browsing - though not quite as fast as my 700P - is really quite good with some complex pages actually rendering faster on the BB.

Given that I WON'T be using Exchange/BES, any thoughts on whether this would be a good/bad decision?

EDIT: Well, after using the Pearl a bit more, I think I'll wait until the Sprint (or T-Mobile 3G) version comes out. I lovethe form factor on the Pearl, but giving up the EVDO speeds would kill me...
    Last edited by ksmith80209; 12/28/2006 at 10:49 AM.
    After using my Pearl for 3 months I have to admit I am very interested in the 750 when it comes to the U.S. There is nothing at all wrong with the pearl. It does email far better than ANY device I have ever used. I love the new trackball. SureType has its ups and down, but its mostly pretty good. The screen is 100% viewable in sunlight, and works great as an actual phone.

What I do miss is a touch screen and more 3rd party apps. I find myself using sms alot lately and would love a true threaded sms experience (the one on the pearl is kind of threaded, but not really). The PIM on the blackberry is also alittle lacking.

Also, I think I hit the 3 month wall, where my gadget lust kicks in.
    I gave my wife a Pearl for Christmas and she was very impressed (coming from a RAZR + iPaq). First off, the phone portion is very well executed - volume and clarity are excellent on earpiece, speakerphone, and BT headset (Cardo Scala 500). I liked the fact that you can just start typing and the phone starts searching your contacts. The voice dialing blew me away - no need to record voice tags!! The BB Desktop also sync'ed flawlessly with Outlook, none of those OLERRs that you get with the Palm conduits. The camera took decent pictures even in low light conditions. She was also very impressed with the mp3 and video playback. The volume is great and the screen resolution is very good. With in-ear earphones it sounded slightly better than an ipod shuffle. I'm truly impressed with what they managed to jam into this tiny form factor. She told me later while I was using my Treo "that looks so 90's"
  10.    #170  
    good to hear, Schartz. i am still loving my Pearl and have been test driving an unlocked Treo 680 for a couple of weeks now. what do i like in the treo, comparatively? the larger screen and touchscreen feature. i still think that the Pearl is so much simpler to use (as you mention; the phone especially) and i continue to prefer it for my needs. is it purely a luxury to own both? at this juncture, yes.

have a great 2007
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I picked up a pearl today to try it out. Getting REALLY tired of all the little bugs on the 750v. Going to take some time to try it out since I'm on a Mac and sychronization isn't a strong point. Did notice it pair with my car no fuss and started showing signal strength (my biggest issue with the 750v).
    Don't know if I'll keep the Pearl yet or not, but a few quick observations:

1.) Wow, I had forgotten what REAL bluetooth support was like. This thing works fantastic with my car. Instant and strong connections, full feature support, real time signal strength updating. Puts ANY Treo I've ever had (and I've tried every Treo model with bluetooth) to shame.
    2.) Man, is this thing small. I mean really small, makes a 750 or 680 look gargantuan next to it. Of course that small space isn't so great for web browsing, but I don't think I've ever seen any smartphone so small. Volume wise not much different than a closed RAZR (less wide, but longer).
    3.) When on a call, I think the phone the phone interface is actually pretty good. Shows signal, battery, call duration, icon for whether on earpiece or speaker and more. Shows alot more info than a WM5 Treo and more I think than the Palm OS Treos did. Not bad at all. Some parts of the UI are pretty primitive looking, but the phone is better than I thought.
    4.) The default Cingular theme is actually pretty good. Looks much better I think than all the normal Blackberry screenshots I've seen. In fact, the default looks alot like an updated Palm OS. Clear uncluttered white background with pretty, legible icons that change when selected. Not bad at all.

Of course the PIM apps seem more primitive. I haven't had a chance to do too much with them yet since I'm on a Mac and syncing options are limited. Also no 3G data means it won't be very useful as a wireless modem (which is important to me). But overall somethings are better than I expected. And of course no crashes yet. And the battery life is unbelievable compared to a Treo. Charged it, messed with it some more last night, left on all night, and now at almost 4pm still looks like 80% charge. Bluetooth on the whole time also.

Edit: Also setting the Phone option ringtone lighting to trackball is really cute. Makes the trackball light up and pulse different colors depending on your ringtone. Too cool for school, as they used to say.
    Last edited by bcaslis; 01/02/2007 at 05:52 PM.
    The pearl is a wonderful phone, and a great email device. Its very stable, has great battery life, a pretty good keyboard, and for some reason, its boring the heck out of me lately. The problem is there is just not that much software available for it. However, what software that is available is very good. Things I would like to change about the pearl....

1. A true threaded sms program.
    2. Seperate mailboxes for sms and email
    3. More 3rd party support
    4. Improve the terrible PIM

I have been playing around with the 8525 lately and I find it very good. For some reason the sliding keyboard isnt really bothering me at all yet. Having the extra screen space is nice. Im going to try the 750v(wonder if it will be called 750c). Palm will hopefully fix the problems for the US release.
    If Palm fixed the 750's bugs I would definitely prefer it. However I'm not very hopeful, especially for Bluetooth. I'm had one Treo that was OK (650 after the last firmware updates for it), two very marginal (700p and 680), and three terrible (700w, 700wx, 750v). Notice any pattern? By comparison, the pearl is a God for bluetooth. Things work like they are supposed to. But other areas aren't as good as a Treo. Still, the Pearl is more compelling in hand than I expected.
    In case anyone is would like to see the relative size of the Pearl vs. the RAZR and a Treo 650, I've posted some comparison shots

As you can see, its about the size of a RAZR
    Yes size wise it's really amazing what they have packed into there. Pictures are great but for me it didn't really hit until I held it. Of course it's much much lighter than a Treo also.
    I went from a treo 650, to an 8125, then to a blackberry pearl and I just ended up back to the treo 650 (hoping to god they may release a 700p GSM)..

the blackberry was nice, the screen resolution was amazing, the operating system was great, and who wouldnt love berry411.

I did go back to the treo 650 though, I just couldnt click with the "suretype" and the "un-customizable" operating system.

You just cant go wrong with a treo.
    Pearl is real nice: I love the form factor and the handling of email attachments - (coming from chatter)

I wish as others stated, it had more PIM options in terms of apps for it as well as more third party apps.

Overall I am torn between my Pearl and Treo 700p
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I got a Pearl two weeks ago and haven't looked back. There's only two pieces of software I miss (http://www.warilysoftware.com/, http://poker.ddeuce.com/), and the latter I'm going to try to rewrite as my first BlackBerry development project.

I had a Treo 180, 270, 600, 650, before this. I can't say how nice it is to be able to respond to an IM or e-mail and not have to disconnect from IRC to do it.

The main reasons I switched were Palm seems to have given up on Palm OS instead of making it better, and they don't seem to be making their devices any smaller.

Also, the trackball ("pearl") rules.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    I gotta say for the hardware, it's a "pearl"!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I'm waiting to see next week if the Cingular 750 fixes the worst bugs I've been encountering and if Apple introduces an iPhone with features I want. If neither happens, then I may give up the Treo for the Pearl.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast