Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    After beeing a Palm user on my 650 for two years and relying on it for my business, I thought it would be time for a change. My 650 feels as if it has grown and it crashes alot. I just wanted to try and see if there was anything better on the market. So, I got the Pearl last week. Although I am getting used to it, I now know that I love the Palm OS. I have never tried WM. This Blackberry is complicated and unintuitive. I keep touching the screen out of habit, but there is no touchscreen. I use outlook and the Palm software. IMHO, the Palm is far superior. I synced my 650 to outlook and less then half the info transferred. I then synced my Pearl to the outlook and now I will have to update 100's of entries to get back all my info. uhhh!! I do not want to do this. It took years to get my Palm software to where it is today. Oh well. Just my two cents worth, Peace
    I am with you mtgdoc! This year has been a phone testing year for me to finally realize that PALM OS is where I feel most at home with. I've been thru the BB Pearl, Sidekick III and TMobile Dash, just to come home again to the PALM OS and the new Treo 680. Yes, it's bigger than the Pearl and the Dash, but overall it's the most professional-looking device out there and I have so much $ invested in the PALM OS for software that it's a shame to have to buy it all over again. Also, there is not (in my mind) any other OS (i.e. Win Mobile and BB OS) that is as intuitive and easy to use as the PALM OS. I am back and here to stay! I love my new Treo 680.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    I think I'd like to est one of these. Question though, I currently get push e-mail for free by forwarding all my accounts to my mail2web account which has a free exchange server, what would I need to do to get free push with the Pearl?

what do you mean by free?

you will have to pay for blackberry service from your carrier.

as far s i know, all carriers give you access to bis (blackberry internet service). with bis, you can set up a couple of accounts to get "pushed" to your phone. this isnt real push thought. bis polls these accounts every 20 minutes and the pushes them to your blackberry.

i'm almost positive the with bis, you get an email account ith your carrier. again, im almostpositive tht this is a true push account. and if it is, i guess you can forward your email to get it right away.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
    Is there a way to sync a BB, Pearl or otherwise, to a Mac?
    not official: www.pocketmac.net

i have a 7103 and dont use the desktop software. i installed it on a spare pc to install avantgo only to realize that it wasnt needed. have used it in months.

Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what do you mean by free?

you will have to pay for blackberry service from your carrier.

as far s i know, all carriers give you access to bis (blackberry internet service). with bis, you can set up a couple of accounts to get "pushed" to your phone. this isnt real push thought. bis polls these accounts every 20 minutes and the pushes them to your blackberry.

i'm almost positive the with bis, you get an email account ith your carrier. again, im almostpositive tht this is a true push account. and if it is, i guess you can forward your email to get it right away.
    That's correct. @jlczl, the carrier BIS is basically the same thing as mail2web or 4smartphone.net.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    What do the BIS plans usually cost?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    What do the BIS plans usually cost?
    i think it comes with your bb data plan.
    Felipe
    i think it comes with your bb data plan.
    I've never had a BB, so are BB data plans similar to cell phone data plans?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I've never had a BB, so are BB data plans similar to cell phone data plans?
    you cant use bb over the regular data plan, you need the specific bb data plan.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    To clarify about Blackberry "plans" -

BIS - Blackberry Internet Service - for non-Enterprise (non-Business) users. T-Mobile charges $20 w/ voice plan, #30 w/out. BIS "IS" true PUSH for the username@tmo.blackberry.net account. Same with whatever Cingulars is. The other accounts you can setup (nine more) ARE polled.

BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server - Mostly Business. Allows users to sync to their Windows Outlook/Exchnage server. Non-Business users can use 3rd party Enterprise servers to accomplish same thing.

Blackberries can only use Blackberry plans for the device to access net functionality.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    you cant use bb over the regular data plan, you need the specific bb data plan.
    The cheapest BB plan with unlimited data at Cingular is $34.99. I currently am on a plan where I only pay $19.99 for unlimited data. I can buy the phone outright through Cingular Premiere without a plan, but will I be able to still get DirectPush via my Exchange Server without changing my data plan? If I have to change to a BB plan to get my e-mail I'm out.

I don't want to pay an additional $15 for the priviledge of using the Pearl!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  11.    #151  
    ^ i don't believe you need to. i would simply call T-Mobile / Cing and get the exact answer you're looking for.

regards
    The cheapest BB plan with unlimited data at Cingular is $34.99. I currently am on a plan where I only pay $19.99 for unlimited data. I can buy the phone outright through Cingular Premiere without a plan, but will I be able to still get DirectPush via my Exchange Server without changing my data plan? If I have to change to a BB plan to get my e-mail I'm out.

I was once told by Cingular that a BB won't work for email unless you sign up for the service. I don't know if anything's changed though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13.    #153  
    to be clear (and if it is the case); you would be paying $15 to use "any" blackberry device.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'll be sticking to my free DirectPush with my Blackjack.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

15.    #155  
    ^for whatever it's worth; successful and enjoying using the Pearl (or blackberry) as a wireless modem device for my macbook pro. you do have to download the 8100 Pearl modem string but it does work.

have fun.
    The cheapest BB plan with unlimited data at Cingular is $34.99. I currently am on a plan where I only pay $19.99 for unlimited data.
    Which $19.99 plan are you on? I also have the BlackJack and I am paying $39.99 a month for data. Also the cheapest Blackberry rate plan is $29.99. I am also thinking about getting the Pearl since I prefer Blackberry email over Exchange since I really can't get a good push email program except going through mail2web and one of my account won’t work through them but worked since it is an Exchange account but it on my old blackberry...

Also PocketMac works great with the BlackBerry, I have used it on my Mac with the 8700 and the 7100 and haven't had any issues with it. It looks like PocketMac is now free and looks to be supported by BlackBerry...http://www.discoverblackberry.com/di..._solutions.jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    as far as the inbox's/subfolders go, the user can choose any which subfolder to have mail directed from. viewing the inbox shows just that and that is where the sms msgs go. not sure this helps much.
    yes but how does one setup subfolders within a particular email address - say aol? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    can anyone point me to the right spot for TOP software to install to Pearl?

thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipacmm View Post
    Which $19.99 plan are you on? I also have the BlackJack and I am paying $39.99 a month for data.
    MediaMax200

20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    yes but how does one setup subfolders within a particular email address - say aol? Thanks!
    i believe that you use the "setup/email wizard" and create the address. it will have it's own separate folder which you could look/point to.

hope this helps
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast