Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    great comeback.

for ppl who want to do business with there phone. pearl isnt the phone they will jump to.

look at the other thread on treocentral, many more threads on ppl wanting more from their phones, not less.

Like?
    Well, an example is making calls. The Treo obviously can make phone calls, but the volume out of the box on the 650 sucks plain and simple. Without VolumeCare on the 650, I could not hear the other party on the phone even in a quiet car; definitely not walking down the street or at a convention or sporting event. While the Blackbery's handset isn't home-theater loud, I can definitely hear more than I did on the Treo without VolumeCare. Then you have speakerphone. Again, the Blackberry outshines the Treo in this department. Without VolumeCare on the Treo, the volume is abysmal. Another example is the way the Blackberry handles numbers as compared to the Treo: For example: I received an email with a phone number and extension in the email to call someone, like this: 818-555-1212 x100, i clicked on the number, which also included the extension and the Blackberry dialed the number, paused for 3 seconds, then dialed the extension for me. Also, when syncing numbers from Outlook that have extensions in them, I could never get the Treo to automatically recognize them and dial them for me, exept for making those people favorites and then adding manually the extension to be dialed from the MORE window in the favorites setup. The Blackberry just recognizes it and makes it happen. That's elegant. That's nice to have built-in.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    Well, an example is making calls. The Treo obviously can make phone calls, but the volume out of the box on the 650 sucks plain and simple. Without VolumeCare on the 650, I could not hear the other party on the phone even in a quiet car; definitely not walking down the street or at a convention or sporting event. While the Blackbery's handset isn't home-theater loud, I can definitely hear more than I did on the Treo without VolumeCare. Then you have speakerphone. Again, the Blackberry outshines the Treo in this department. Without VolumeCare on the Treo, the volume is abysmal. Another example is the way the Blackberry handles numbers as compared to the Treo: For example: I received an email with a phone number and extension in the email to call someone, like this: 818-555-1212 x100, i clicked on the number, which also included the extension and the Blackberry dialed the number, paused for 3 seconds, then dialed the extension for me. Also, when syncing numbers from Outlook that have extensions in them, I could never get the Treo to automatically recognize them and dial them for me, exept for making those people favorites and then adding manually the extension to be dialed from the MORE window in the favorites setup. The Blackberry just recognizes it and makes it happen. That's elegant. That's nice to have built-in.
    Hmmm. That phone behavior for the Pearl sounds great. I'll have to check it out right after I give up on the SDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Hmmm. That phone behavior for the Pearl sounds great. I'll have to check it out right after I give up on the SDA.
    Yup It wasn't expected, but a nice feature to have once I discovered it!
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Seidio just released two new products for BB 8100 Pearl

1) swivel Lock plastic holster
    2) audio adaptor (with Mic and answer button)

we will release more accessories next week including

- Premium Skin
    - crystal case

and its matching holster

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...&Category=1030
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    great comeback.

for ppl who want to do business with there phone. pearl isnt the phone they will jump to.

look at the other thread on treocentral, many more threads on ppl wanting more from their phones, not less.

Like?

i think it has already been answered. for some "business folk" all that is needed is a phone, robust email, calendar/contact, document viewer and internet. the camera/music/video (which the Pearl is capable of) are nice features. i work in the finance industry which is dominated by RIM, it serves the business needs of those workers best. for an individual who spends limited time away from the office or carries a laptop when traveling, much else isn't required. so in truth, it doesn't do any less, the Pearl does just about as much. what it doesn't do is play movies so to burn out the battery in short order. it's not big in the 3rd party software market because it doesn't have to be (not every person needs a separate program to track every little detail of their life down to the calories they're burning in a gym), it offers what is needed for its users out of the box. its also not a brick so in some sense it does a lot more with a lot less.
    oalvarez, I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. I have been using my Treo as a means of capturing all my data for what seems like a very long time. It has served my need better than any other device. I would struggle to give it up but the size of the device is becoming an issue in some cases. I don't think I could give up the Treo as a PDA but based on your posts I am going to give the Pearl a try for a couple of weeks. Thank you for sharing your opinion and hopefully I can report back once I've spent some time with the Pearl.
  7.    #107  
    nice to hear, Heterodoxos....and please know i am not trying to persuade or dissuade. what i am trying to do as an ex Treo6/6.5/7w/7wx, ppc6600, i730, bbry's user is to try and open people's eyes that the "treo" is not the "only" device out there, and that other devices deserve merit too. i'm convinced by my own research done on these boards (reading, polls) and by what i see in my day to day that "large devices" are popular because of the gadgetry and heft that they offer. smaller devices are believed to offer less, and that is not true. i laugh when i read posts about people actually liking the larger devices because they feel "more solid". they might be right; mass is a physical term, so the larger and heavy the object the more solid it might feel. as for data, most any device can store and display data. i suppose it is in the way that they communicate/deliver the data to the user that is important. i just need them (phone#, email addresses, calendar) to be there, i don't need pretty bells and whistles and bright lights to go off when trying to access them. what i don't need are 24 programs to tell me the weather outside at all times of day, what memory i have left, how many applications i have at my disposal, and what time it is in all of the different time zones around the globe. that's all fine and dandy, i have decided to get by without those niceties. what i do want is a phone, email, internet, calendar/contact functionality with an exposed keyboard and a bright legible screen. i don't require a screen that i can touch. i don't want resets and most importantly i don't want to lug around a brick. bricks were the only answer for me in years past but now with the introduction of smaller sized devices (that offer the same important feature sets) i can easily give them a pass. i don't care about what is most popular nor what mossberg has to say, i simply care about what makes the most sense for me. but at the same time i think many out there are completely fooling themselves into believing otherwise.
    Is there a solution for the Pearl to allow one to edit word docs or Excel sheets?

Unlike most here I actually do use this functionality on a daily basis. This is what's kept me away from anything with the Smartphone OS.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    nice to hear, Heterodoxos....and please know i am not trying to persuade or dissuade. what i am trying to do as an ex Treo6/6.5/7w/7wx, ppc6600, i730, bbry's user is to try and open people's eyes that the "treo" is not the "only" device out there, and that other devices deserve merit too. ... what i do want is a phone, email, internet, calendar/contact functionality with an exposed keyboard and a bright legible screen. i don't require a screen that i can touch. i don't want resets and most importantly i don't want to lug around a brick.
    Oalvarez, thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm really trying to do some soul searching on this as well. I currently use a Treo 650, and feel that the Treos are now bricks compared to thinner gen smartphones. Your usage expectations are similar to mine, and I would trade the various 3rd party apps and touch screen to get a smaller & lighter form factor that still meets my base requirements. So I seem to be down to something like Samsung i670 vs. The BB Pearl. My company is MS-centric, and does not have BES. Oalvarez, can you comment on your experience of WM5 - Smartphone devices vs. the Pearl? Your comments about the Pearl are really making me want to try that. (although the Canadian carriers don't seem to have trial policies like US Carriers). If I go with BB, I'll have to figure a way to get around not having BES.
    one more question about the Pearl: How much control does the user have over the interface (system fonts in particular)?
    In the ongoing SDA vs. Treo saga I am using the brick at the moment.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01 View Post
    Is there a solution for the Pearl to allow one to edit word docs or Excel sheets?

Unlike most here I actually do use this functionality on a daily basis. This is what's kept me away from anything with the Smartphone OS.
    not that i know of Driven. i do know that having Goodlink software (on wm smartphones) does allow for such copy/paste activity. given your needs the device is probably not for you.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot View Post
    Oalvarez, thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm really trying to do some soul searching on this as well. I currently use a Treo 650, and feel that the Treos are now bricks compared to thinner gen smartphones. Your usage expectations are similar to mine, and I would trade the various 3rd party apps and touch screen to get a smaller & lighter form factor that still meets my base requirements. So I seem to be down to something like Samsung i670 vs. The BB Pearl. My company is MS-centric, and does not have BES. Oalvarez, can you comment on your experience of WM5 - Smartphone devices vs. the Pearl? Your comments about the Pearl are really making me want to try that. (although the Canadian carriers don't seem to have trial policies like US Carriers). If I go with BB, I'll have to figure a way to get around not having BES.
    i will and with pleasure. before i do you should know that you can get the same "push" type email experience using the supplied blackberry software should you not have a BES at home or work. it works just like activesync.

i will comment on wm5 smartphone when i have a chance (i have written on the Moto-Q in this same forum). it's not as bad as some here make it sound.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot View Post
    one more question about the Pearl: How much control does the user have over the interface (system fonts in particular)?
    gives you a wide range of both font types and font sizes....font size all the way down to 7 in text and 6 within the browser.
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    In the ongoing SDA vs. Treo saga I am using the brick at the moment.
    one thing i know of you Tasty is that you keep an open mind. i like that.
    I had a Dash in my hands yesterday. N-i-c-e. Go to the South Lake Ave. store. Manager is Frank. He has one.

driven,

here is an app i found to be able to edit word and excel docs on the Pearl:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...21718&R=121718
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    driven,

here is an app i found to be able to edit word and excel docs on the Pearl:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...21718&R=121718
    While this looks great, $199 is far far too much money.
    (But thank you anyway!)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    While this looks great, $199 is far far too much money.
    (But thank you anyway!)

driven01: Good catch! I didn't notice that price tag when pointing you to the site. You're right tho, too much $!

For me, I don't care since I don't really ever edit Word or Excel docs on my handhelds.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have been watching this thread myself and have found that I would love to have normal size phone again but can't part with my outlook contacts and for goodness sake I just want a bluetooth that works. I would love the pearl but I'm at sprint and the one reason I originally changed was that they usually had the newest phones. Lately it seems like they seem to be behind. Is there any word that the pearl might make it there. Thanks