Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi View Post
    No worries, Rob!
    I am a recent convert from my 650 to a Pearl and am loving it so far! I'm realizing that I don't need to carry a brick for all the things it can do, when I can carry around something like the Pearl for all the things I need it to do, which pretty much is email, Calendar Appointments, Contacts, and IM.
    You know cadavi, I just realized that for myself after getting the Pearl last week. I used to carry around the Treo, just to make phone calls, check and answer emails, SMS, calendar and contacts. And although the Treo can do more, I rarely used all of its available functions, so basically, I was carrying around a larger device than necessary. I do, however, like the cameras on phones, so I would not have considered a Pearl if it didn't have the camera. But now, I have this tiny phone, that does all I will need a device to do, without the added bulk!

I am very happy.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    You know cadavi, I just realized that for myself after getting the Pearl last week. I used to carry around the Treo, just to make phone calls, check and answer emails, SMS, calendar and contacts. And although the Treo can do more, I rarely used all of its available functions, so basically, I was carrying around a larger device than necessary. I do, however, like the cameras on phones, so I would not have considered a Pearl if it didn't have the camera. But now, I have this tiny phone, that does all I will need a device to do, without the added bulk!

I am very happy.
    Me too!
    I have had the 650 ever since it came out, and just off the top of my head:
    1. Number of times I have viewed, edited and manipulated MS Office documents: <5
    2. Number of times I have used Bluetooth: <10 (i don't like Blu headsets, and I live in NYC so don't drive while talking on my phone or vice versa!)
    3. Number of times I have used Infrared: 0
    4. Number of times I have used speakerphone: maybe 20, but the Pearl's speakerphone is much much better than Treo's (even with Volumecare)
    5. Number of times I have used the Treo's camera: <5 (I carry a small Nikon S1 in my bag), but again Pearl's camera is much better anyway
    6. Number of times I have viewed Videos, Radio, etc. on my Treo: 0

Don't misunderstand me, I love what my Treo 650 can do, but I'm basically carrying around a Treo that does not really "Add Value" to what I do most of all:

1. Making calls: The Pearl's form factor is a lot more comfortable to make calls on, the speakerphone is very effective, and so's the sound levels and clarity - plus I don't need a 3rd party (like Volumecare) out of the box like the 650
    2. Email: The single biggest killer app for the 650 is Chatter (Chatter, in my opinion, blows away every other email app for any device out there) and I still miss some features of Chatter (like SMTP profiles, Summary inbox, ease of use and navigation, etc.) but come one folks, the Pearl is a Blackberry! If you've got BES with your Pearl you're golden! Even Chatter does not sync calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
    3. IM/SMS: Pearl has Yahoo Messenger, AOL, MSN Messenger, and ICQ out of the box - no Verichat, Causerie, Messenger etc. required
    4. Tasks and Calendar - Datebk5/6 on Treo 650 wins over the Pearl here, but Pearl's workable and not too bad, especially if you can sync everything wirelessly over BES!
    5. One-handed Use: Pearl is just as good (if not better) than my 650. The keys are larger than the Treo's, so even if it's not QWERTY but Suretype it just seems more comfortable to type on than the Treo.

So, for me, Pearl rocks! YMMV.
    OK, oalvarez. You did it. I went to the T-Mobile store and got the SDA. The Treo 650 is sitting in its cradle, SIM-less.

I didn't get the Pearl (even though it is mo' bootifuler) because for the BES I'd have to get another Windows server license then pay money to get the BES set up. Too much money for this.

But I did take to heart the idea of trying something new, small, and non-QWERTY.

I'll drive the SDA around the block for a while to see how I like it.

By the way. Uncorroborated rumor of interest some people, including (maybe) me, about the Dash. The manager said that the Dash hadn't been delivered to the store yet (scheduled launch date is October 16) and she thought the launch was being delayed a day or two -- maybe until the 18th - 19th of October?

FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    By the way. Uncorroborated rumor of interest some people, including (maybe) me, about the Dash. The manager said that the Dash hadn't been delivered to the store yet (scheduled launch date is October 16) and she thought the launch was being delayed a day or two -- maybe until the 18th - 19th of October?

FWIW.
    Prepare to be underwhelmed by the Dash. Terrible keyboard.
  5.    #85  
    Tasty, glad you did what you did, it's always worth a try, and you must do what suits "you!" i hope it works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi View Post
    Me too!
    I have had the 650 ever since it came out, and just off the top of my head:
    1. Number of times I have viewed, edited and manipulated MS Office documents: <5
    2. Number of times I have used Bluetooth: <10 (i don't like Blu headsets, and I live in NYC so don't drive while talking on my phone or vice versa!)
    3. Number of times I have used Infrared: 0
    4. Number of times I have used speakerphone: maybe 20, but the Pearl's speakerphone is much much better than Treo's (even with Volumecare)
    5. Number of times I have used the Treo's camera: <5 (I carry a small Nikon S1 in my bag), but again Pearl's camera is much better anyway
    6. Number of times I have viewed Videos, Radio, etc. on my Treo: 0

Don't misunderstand me, I love what my Treo 650 can do, but I'm basically carrying around a Treo that does not really "Add Value" to what I do most of all:

1. Making calls: The Pearl's form factor is a lot more comfortable to make calls on, the speakerphone is very effective, and so's the sound levels and clarity - plus I don't need a 3rd party (like Volumecare) out of the box like the 650
    2. Email: The single biggest killer app for the 650 is Chatter (Chatter, in my opinion, blows away every other email app for any device out there) and I still miss some features of Chatter (like SMTP profiles, Summary inbox, ease of use and navigation, etc.) but come one folks, the Pearl is a Blackberry! If you've got BES with your Pearl you're golden! Even Chatter does not sync calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
    3. IM/SMS: Pearl has Yahoo Messenger, AOL, MSN Messenger, and ICQ out of the box - no Verichat, Causerie, Messenger etc. required
    4. Tasks and Calendar - Datebk5/6 on Treo 650 wins over the Pearl here, but Pearl's workable and not too bad, especially if you can sync everything wirelessly over BES!
    5. One-handed Use: Pearl is just as good (if not better) than my 650. The keys are larger than the Treo's, so even if it's not QWERTY but Suretype it just seems more comfortable to type on than the Treo.

So, for me, Pearl rocks! YMMV.
    Excellent comparison, cadavi! I have the same feelings as you do. My Pearl rocks also. Easy one-handed navigation, has a phone-like feel in the hands and it just plain works! No resets, no worrying about 3rd party software bugs, upgrading the 3rd party apps all the time, just sync with Outlook and go! I read on the TC home page that Palm is announcing a new Treo on Thursday and for the first time, I don't really care about it, cause I know it'll either be a WM5 device for the US, or a Palm OS device with the same software, camera, etc. on my 650, which in my opinion will not beat out my Pearl. Just another happy BB Pearl customer.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Update on the SDA. Couldn't get it to talk to my Exchange Server. 45 minutes on the phone with T-Mobile tech support. Certificate invalid is what it says as the error. Don't know why. It is a commercial SSL certificate. My co-worker has a TyTN gladly connecting to the server. F'ing Versamail 3.5 knows what to do.

Turns out that if you want to manually install a certificate on your SDA this can be done. With a bit of hoo-hah. The funny thing? When it installs, it installs the certificate as a root certificate, and the tech support guy said it is supposed to install as a personal certificate. Yet you can't tell the SDA where to install the certificate.

If only I could install the certificate in the right place all would be well. Googled the problem 8007f0d is the code if you want and funnily enough a TC thread came up first. Known problem.

My IT guy spent a bunch of time on this too.

The SDA goes back tomorrow. Ratbag b@st@rds can't sell software that works out of the box. Mumph. I'm not going to waste my time.

Hello, Treo 650. Did you miss me?

(The Treo seems awfully large and heavy).
  8.    #88  
    and i ASSURE you it won't be 3oz. light. even i'm starting to laugh at my own co-workers when they whip out their tired treos.....those who didn't own them before own a Pearl now, no joke.
  9.    #89  
    Tasty, you obviously have needs/wants that might not fit that device's offerings. I suppose what i don't understand is why the Pearl didn't work for you, or why you need the versamail type software on the sda. i receive THOUSANDS of transmissions a day (yes we have a BES) but when we didn't i ran my blackberry just fine with the provided software. the idea is to rid yourself of unwanted/unnecessary software, at least it is for me. seems so redundant to buy a device, spend the money for what it offers, then go and spend more money on somewhat "duplicative" software. blackberry excels in the email space, does it not offer what you need it to? trying to understand why a SDA and not a Pearl. all of this with a smile.
    Update on the SDA. Couldn't get it to talk to my Exchange Server. 45 minutes on the phone with T-Mobile tech support. Certificate invalid is what it says as the error. Don't know why. It is a commercial SSL certificate. My co-worker has a TyTN gladly connecting to the server. F'ing Versamail 3.5 knows what to do.

Turns out that if you want to manually install a certificate on your SDA this can be done. With a bit of hoo-hah. The funny thing? When it installs, it installs the certificate as a root certificate, and the tech support guy said it is supposed to install as a personal certificate. Yet you can't tell the SDA where to install the certificate.

If only I could install the certificate in the right place all would be well. Googled the problem 8007f0d is the code if you want and funnily enough a TC thread came up first. Known problem.

My IT guy spent a bunch of time on this too.

The SDA goes back tomorrow. Ratbag b@st@rds can't sell software that works out of the box. Mumph. I'm not going to waste my time.

Hello, Treo 650. Did you miss me?

(The Treo seems awfully large and heavy).
    Technical update (in the name of fairness to the SDA):

The problem is SSL certificates. The SDA doesn't know how to handle an SSL certificate on my Exchange Server that came from GoDaddy (Starfield). The solution is here: http://www.drewery.net/blog/2005/11/...50-activesync/

First read the post, then go down to the comment on May 8 by commenter CT.

Just to secure this wisdom for all eternity, here is the post:

Windows Mobile 5.0 & ActiveSync

We have a few Windows Mobile 5.0 devices appearing and need to get them hooked up to our Exchange 2003 system. We have the infrastructure already in place as we use Outlook Web Access and Outlook Mobile Accesss. We have our front-end servers load balanced and port 443 mapped through from the outside world.

Like its predecessor Windows Mobile 2003, WM 5.0 lacks a wide selection of trusted root certificates installed by default. If you’re using a non-maintream or self-issued certificate you’ll need to do a little extra configuration to get ActiveSync working over the air. With WM 2003 there was a tool to disable certificate checking but it’s not compatible with WM 5.0. Instead follow these instructions:
    # In Internet Explorer go to your Outlook Web Access site and ensure your certificate is installed. To check the name of it you can double click on the padlock icon in the bottom right of the browser.
    # Now in the Internet Options in IE go to the Content tab and click the Certificates button.
    # Now go to the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities and find your certificate.
    # Select the certificate and click on the Export button. Follow the wizard and select ‘DER Encoded Binary x.509′ when prompted.
    # Choose a suitable file name and finish the wizard.
    # You’ll now need to copy the exported certificate to your PocketPC device either via a memory card or by USB. Once it’s on your PPC simply tap it with the stylus and follow the prompts to install it.

With the certificate successfully installed you should be able to synchronise over the air.
    And here is the comment that is specifically directed at fixing the GoDaddy / Starfield certificate problem:

Aha! For those using Starfield (GoDaddy) issued certs, you must install the ValiCert root certificate. To download the ValiCert root follow the first 3 steps above to get to your installed certificates. Next view the certificate for your OWA server. Click the Issuer Statement button. You should be taken to a page with all sorts of ValiCert info and options. Near the bottom of the page is a CER file in DER format. Download and copy to your WM device. Install the cert by double-tapping in File Explorer or equivalent. That’s it!

This worked perfectly for me and I can now securely sync via ActiveSync over USB or OTA.
    ActiveSync is now letting the SDA talk to the server. Mr. Google is All-Wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    Tasty, you obviously have needs/wants that might not fit that device's offerings. I suppose what i don't understand is why the Pearl didn't work for you, or why you need the versamail type software on the sda. i receive THOUSANDS of transmissions a day (yes we have a BES) but when we didn't i ran my blackberry just fine with the provided software. the idea is to rid yourself of unwanted/unnecessary software, at least it is for me. seems so redundant to buy a device, spend the money for what it offers, then go and spend more money on somewhat "duplicative" software. blackberry excels in the email space, does it not offer what you need it to? trying to understand why a SDA and not a Pearl. all of this with a smile.
    The kind of work I do requires that I have all of my emails -- in and out -- stored forever and ever.

With Versamail on the Treo my mailbox on Exchange Server (inbox and sent) would reflect all traffic happening from my Treo or from my workstation.

With the SDA I will achieve the same thing. Mail sent from the SDA will be in the "sent" box on Exchange Server.

With the Blackberry (at least my prior attempt at loving a truly unlovely 7230) the "inbox" side would be complete on the Exchange Server. I used BB's redirector software to shoot my corporate email off to the BB.

But the emails I sent from the BB device would not populate themselves onto the Exchange Server. The only way they can get there is with a BES. And I don't have a BES.

That is why I am choosing a WM5 device instead of the Pearl. I do admit, though, that the Pearl is a lust-worthy piece of hardware.

And I might go get the Pearl after test-driving the SDA after a few weeks. That would mean a BES. That means a new Windows Server license, yet another dedicated server box in my file room, and several hours of IT guy time. Translation = $$$$. Not sure it's worth it.
  12.    #92  
    got it....i understand the "sent items" matter now. i keep forgetting about the BES side of things....take good care
    suretype suck suck sucks. 2 of my co-workers and I have the 7130 and want to move up to th3 8703s to get a full kb.

I know 2 ppl with the peral. one person uses as a phone, but uses another blackberry to write his emails.

the second actually thinks its too small, but wanted to give it more time. he took it on a trip to europe. when he gets back, probably get a better report.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    suretype suck suck sucks. 2 of my co-workers and I have the 7130 and want to move up to th3 8703s to get a full kb.

I know 2 ppl with the peral. one person uses as a phone, but uses another blackberry to write his emails.

the second actually thinks its too small, but wanted to give it more time. he took it on a trip to europe. when he gets back, probably get a better report.
    Well, I can tell you from experience now that this is my second SureType device. My first was the 7100t and the ONLY reason I returned it was because it was ugly and I didn't like the UI. But that was the only reason I returned it and went back to the Treo. I've been using the Pearl for the past 2 weeks, writing emails and SMS messages on it and I can tell you that SureType is great. It's better than multi-Tap or T9 and I like that I can type QWERTY-ish on a phone 1/3 the size of the Treo and gives me ALL the functionality for what I would use the Treo for and it does it more elegantly and smoothly. All the functions that the Treo performs that the Blackberry can also perform is executed better on the Pearl than on the Treo. This is coming from 2+ years of having a 650, 1 year of using a 600 before that and only 2 weeks experience with the Pearl.

I would say that's pretty good.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    From the sounds of folks here, BB must have done a few good niggles to the software for the Pearl. Tis a good thing. But then again, a two sided sign that the 650 was a goog bit ahead of the curve, and did absoutely nothing.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  16.    #96  
    what is a peral?

for many, today, the treo has become yesterday's business. give it some time.
    what is a peral?
    great comeback.

for ppl who want to do business with there phone. pearl isnt the phone they will jump to.

look at the other thread on treocentral, many more threads on ppl wanting more from their phones, not less.

All the functions that the Treo performs that the Blackberry can also perform is executed better on the Pearl than on the Treo.
    Like?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    great comeback.

for ppl who want to do business with there phone. pearl isnt the phone they will jump to.

look at the other thread on treocentral, many more threads on ppl wanting more from their phones, not less.

All the functions that the Treo performs that the Blackberry can also perform is executed better on the Pearl than on the Treo.

Like?
    The SDA I got has problems acquiring signal. No coverage in my office, while my Treo works just fine. Slow acquisition of signal is a known problem.

I hope Suretype is better than T9. I'm getting used to it now and after the Treo's full keyboard it gets frustrating.

I will keep the SDA for another couple of weeks (I'm in the 30 day trial window) but I think my next move is to take the Pearl out for a test drive. It might even be worth spending the money to set up a BES. I've certainly wasted enough time and money already trying to get mobile devices that work properly.

Correction: if I were serious about fixing the problem I'd get a crappy little phone on T-Mobile for international travel purposes (hey, that's the SDA, isn't it? ), then walk down to the Sprint store and get a 700wx or go to Cingular as soon as the 8525 is out and get that.
    The SDA I got has problems acquiring signal. No coverage in my office, while my Treo works just fine. Slow acquisition of signal is a known problem.

I hope Suretype is better than T9. I'm getting used to it now and after the Treo's full keyboard it gets frustrating.
    I get a better signal in my office on my pearl, than I did with my kjam.

Suretype blows T9 away. I can type real fast on it now. I said it before, that all phone makers should either copy suretype or just license it from blackberry.