Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 200
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    oalvarez, do you use the Pearl with a BES?

    we do have a blackberry server at work. i have also used blackberry devices with the provided software (years ago when we did not house a BES). the software allowed for the same type of push functionality but it does require you to leave your PC on. as for the PIM, it synch's up with our MS Outlook calendar/contacts, not sure how that doesn't suffice, is it the interface that troubles you? everything in Outlook makes its way onto the device.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/09/2006 at 04:31 PM.
  2. #62  
    One of our compainies IT administrators got the pearl and I played with it and was quite impressed with it. I especially love the size and sleakness which in comarison makes my 700p look like a brick, but i didn't play with it long enough to give a solid opinion on the device.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    One of our compainies IT administrators got the pearl and I played with it and was quite impressed with it. I especially love the size and sleakness which in comarison makes my 700p look like a brick, but i didn't play with it long enough to give a solid opinion on the device.
    the Treo is a brick, but i say that will all due respect.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    we do have a blackberry server at work. i have also used blackberry devices with the provided software (years ago when we did not house a BES). the software allowed for the same type of push functionality but it does require you to leave your PC on. as for the PIM, it synch's up with our MS Outlook calendar/contacts, not sure how that doesn't suffice, is it the interface that troubles you? everything in Outlook makes its way onto the device.
    The task list on the Blackberry lacks compared to the task list on the Treo, as an example. I use the task list extensively and it is easy to manage them on my 650--add, delete, edit. My experience with the 7230 was that it was not so easy. The Pearl looked like it had the same functionality as the 7230.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    the Treo is a brick, but i say that will all due respect.
    Yeah! That's Mr. Brick to you!
  6.    #66  
    understood re: the task list. perhaps embarassing but i don't use the task likt/notes, have never had a need for it. if you have that need and it doesn't suffice, then onto the next device i suppose. i will say that if the tasklist works but not up to your standards, and is one of the only real negatives, i'd think twice about passing it up.

    try it out for a few days, you can always return it.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    try it out for a few days, you can always return it.
    I just have to figure out how I'm going to finagle a Pearl AND a Dash out of the T-Mobile store!

    The task list on my Treo is about 380 items long at this point. The obvious answer is that a phone isn't the solution. Simplifying my life is the solution.

    One of the reasons that I am thinking very seriously about a non-QWERTY device is that I am getting the feeling that my life is becoming too text-driven. It's time to swing the pendulum towards human interation -- like talking to people on the phone.

    I got this clue from a guy I know who is (gasp) still using his MPx 220 (I ditched mine long ago). He gets an email? If he needs to respond he calls the person. What a novel concept.

    Interaction with live humans can be thrilling. For all other purposes there's SMS.
  8.    #68  
    well said, i don't disagree. best success my so cal friend.
  9. #69  
    The only thing I don't like about tasks, is that I can't find a way to sort by category.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I just have to figure out how I'm going to finagle a Pearl AND a Dash out of the T-Mobile store!

    The task list on my Treo is about 380 items long at this point. The obvious answer is that a phone isn't the solution. Simplifying my life is the solution.

    One of the reasons that I am thinking very seriously about a non-QWERTY device is that I am getting the feeling that my life is becoming too text-driven. It's time to swing the pendulum towards human interation -- like talking to people on the phone.

    I got this clue from a guy I know who is (gasp) still using his MPx 220 (I ditched mine long ago). He gets an email? If he needs to respond he calls the person. What a novel concept.

    Interaction with live humans can be thrilling. For all other purposes there's SMS.
    Nice point Tasty, I've been hooked on the Treo keyboard for years now (mostly for sms). My boss has the QTek flip phone, which is thin and light. He gets email, and yes, he *phones* people if he needs to. I'm in Account Management, and the human contact really helps things - and yet I think we are all getting too used to "hiding behind" email... it's easy to become passive agressive whenever you have a tough situation and you're communicating back and forth thru email. I'm interested in trying the QTek, cause I think it's more important to get email than reply. I suspect it's going to take some nerve to "cut the cord" though :-)
  11. #71  
    Can one edit word docs or excel sheets on it, or is this just a read only tool?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  12.    #72  
    read only...so not for you if you have to edit word docs and spreadsheets. i personally don't know a lot of people that have to but i suppose it might be necessary if you don't have access to a laptop or spend all of your business time on your pda.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot View Post
    Nice point Tasty, I've been hooked on the Treo keyboard for years now (mostly for sms). My boss has the QTek flip phone, which is thin and light. He gets email, and yes, he *phones* people if he needs to. I'm in Account Management, and the human contact really helps things - and yet I think we are all getting too used to "hiding behind" email... it's easy to become passive agressive whenever you have a tough situation and you're communicating back and forth thru email. I'm interested in trying the QTek, cause I think it's more important to get email than reply. I suspect it's going to take some nerve to "cut the cord" though :-)
    curious: why the QTek and not "any" blackberry given that you are email centric? for whatever it's worth, the Pearl does SMS too. maybe it's the small keyboard that doesn't work for you. i will say this: it is an absolute joy not having to carry anything larger than this ALL THE TIME.

    regards
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Simplifying my life is the solution.
    Excellently put, Tastypeppers! I've found in the last 2 weeks that I have had this Pearl, that my life is much simpler than it was when carrying the Treo. I don't have anymore anxiety-inducing random resets and I get my email and can calendar events when needed on the road or in the office using Outlook. It's so nice to almost *forget* i am carrying my phone around with me. And as a small bonus, EVERYBODY asks me about it when I actually pull it out to use it, more than they asked what my Treo was.

    The only question I don't know is do I have to host my own email for me to be able to use a BES? If so, is there any way of getting a BES hosting service that anyone might be able to recommend?

    Thanks.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  15.    #75  
    ^it's nice to hear that someone else is enjoying the device as much as I am, and I'm sure there are thousands of others just the same, they just don't traffic on this website. i do really believe that some people believe that bigger is better, that size/weight suggest value. i also believe that a lot of treo users out there love their devices because of the "gadgetry" that is embedded in them. that's what i've been able to get over. i want the smallest device that meets my needs (really the majority of user's needs...email, phone, contacts/calendar, internet, keyboard). no more brick in pocket or hand, no need to holdster it. no need to pull out a keyboard to turn it into yet another brick. i'll stop there.

    enjoy!
  16. #76  
    This thread might help you decide on a Hosted BES provider:

    http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...look-sync.html

    I have heard good things about Exchange My Mail. All the best!
  17. #77  
    You can buy 3rd party apps for editing office apps. They are quite expensive though. I never saw the need to edit apps on devices with small screens.

    Anyway, I love the pearl. Give it a try for a week and you will see why.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi View Post
    This thread might help you decide on a Hosted BES provider:

    http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...look-sync.html

    I have heard good things about Exchange My Mail. All the best!
    Thanks, cadavi! I will look into this today.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    Thanks, cadavi! I will look into this today.
    No worries, Rob!
    I am a recent convert from my 650 to a Pearl and am loving it so far! I'm realizing that I don't need to carry a brick for all the things it can do, when I can carry around something like the Pearl for all the things I need it to do, which pretty much is email, Calendar Appointments, Contacts, and IM.
  20. #80  
    I think the pearl is close to perfect. There are a few things I miss from other devices.

    1. Threaded SMS. Its kind of pseudo threaded on the pearl, but if you have a conversation open, and a new message comes in, it doesnt add it to the open conversation, and each show as new in the inbox.

    2. Has anybody here played around with the web browser on the nokia e-61? Its fantastic and should be the standard on all mobile devices.

    Things I love about the pearl...

    1. The size. The pearl is tiny.
    2. Suretype. I am just blown away on how good I find it. It gets everything right. I type faster on this little keyboard, than I do on my old kjam larger keyboard.
    3. Never crashes or slows down at all.
    4. Screen visible in direct sunlight. I work outside alot. Its nice to be able to see the screen.
    5. Love being to play my voicemail that I get on my work desk phone on the pearl. It comes up as a wav file attachment in an email. I can open it right up and it plays in the mp3 player.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions