Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    here in Los Angeles/Orange County, you'd be surprised to see how many "people" carry around a Treo without the need. here in "hollywood" it's not what you need but what you own......goes well beyond phones and even i'm guilty of that. i simply think that the Treo which i once thought the world of is perhaps the biggest piece of crap, today.
    I agree with you Oalvarez. I also used to think the world of the Treo 650. I've even owned the Treo 700 for a little while, but it didn't impress me at all. Now, the Palm OS is getting old, there is no mention of any new features or major upgrades to the Palm OS and I'm getting tired of the resets, etc. that plagues the Treo 650.

So far, this BB Pearl does exactly what I need it to do and it does it elegantly and doesn't reset at all; so far not one in almost 1 week, using it the same way I used my Treo, but the Treo would have reset at least once already. The BB Pearl is able to view WORD, EXCEL & PDF documents; I do not have any need to edit the documents on my BB or even on my Treo. It's too cumbersome to edit those things on the Treo anyway, since the screen is so small and the keyboard is not really made for excessive typing. I can get emails with JPG images attached and I can see the images, like on my Treo. So, why carry the Treo around? Maybe I was before because nothing out there impressed me until now. All I know is I am very glad RIM made this device, as it satisfies my needs perfectly.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  2.    #42  
    ^very open minded, honest and true. glad you are enjoying your device and even better to have the courage to say that there are options outside of the Treo. i will continue to report on what i see: most treo owners i see today are either using the phone, surfing the web, or playing some silly game on it. do i ever see a colleague or friend, or business associate pulling it out to create a two-thousand row excel spreadsheet or type out a presentation? no. do i see laptops being pulled out if that is the case? yes. is there some person out there that might need to view a few cell references in a spreadsheet or edit some portion of a word doc, on the fly? i suppose so, but i betcha they're the absolute minority.

the pearl (and the Q for that matter) does the trick for me, and apparently for you and a few other courageous/adventursome folk out there.

oh yeah, i almost forgot; did i even how nice it is not to have to carry a larger device?
    Thanks oalvarez. I try to be as open-minded as possible, since that's the only way I can objectively try out new devices and not be blinded by the device I like the most. I used to think the Treo was the only device that could do what I need it to do, but with the release of the Pearl, it seems that the Treo severely lags behind what other companies are releasing these days.

I, for one, do not need to look at spreadsheets and word docs all the time, but there are occassions when they come thru my email, so it's nice that the Pearl can allow me to view those documents.
    I used to play games and stuff on my Treo, but lately I have not, yet the games sat idle on the Treo's memory. Now, I don't have to even worry about it.

But I do agree with you about not having to carry around the larger device. That, I think may be the best part of not having the Treo (haha).
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Was just hoping someone could clarify for me...

Blackberry Pearl:
    The Pearl has BT 2.0, but it doesn't support A2DP?

Nokia E61:
    Does the E61 support A2DP?

--EWD
    Palms A-Z--> Blackberry/s--> Treo300--> Samsung i330--> Kyocera 7135--> Samsung i600--> Treo600--> Treo650--> xv6700--> Treo650--> MotoQ--> Treo700p --> HTC TyTn--> 8700--> Pearl--> 8800--> Curve
  5.    #45  
    ^ i'm not sure my friend, perhaps it's not that important if you haven't found the answer via a thorough search.
    I will be "downgrading" (if you like) to the Dash when it comes out on the 16th. Like other comments in this thread, the Treo has far more in it than I used. I don't use it as an MP3 player, or a movie theatre. I don't do word processing or spreadsheets or powerpoints. All of that is theoretical to me.

All I want is a rigorous email/text/phone machine that will synchronize with my work Exchange Server. The Dash seems to be a step in that direction.

After reading oalvarez's comments about the Pearl I've gotta say I am willing to give the Pearl and a sub-QWERTY keyboard a shot.

I'd need to add a BES server, though.

Interesting sidelight -- I went into the T-Mobile store in Pasadena today at lunchtime to look at the Pearl and the SDA and they didn't have any SDAs anywhere on display. Is T-Mobile dropping this phone?
  7.    #47  
    the store on lake is great
    the store on lake is great
    Theoretically they are going to reserve a Dash for me at that store.
    Got to say, so far the pearl is awesome. The best thing is you can easyily see the screen in direct sunlight.
  10.    #50  
    treo lovers: it's ok to try something new
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Got to say, so far the pearl is awesome. The best thing is you can easyily see the screen in direct sunlight.
    Best phone I have used in the past year!
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I will be "downgrading" (if you like) to the Dash when it comes out on the 16th. Like other comments in this thread, the Treo has far more in it than I used. I don't use it as an MP3 player, or a movie theatre. I don't do word processing or spreadsheets or powerpoints. All of that is theoretical to me.

All I want is a rigorous email/text/phone machine that will synchronize with my work Exchange Server. The Dash seems to be a step in that direction.

After reading oalvarez's comments about the Pearl I've gotta say I am willing to give the Pearl and a sub-QWERTY keyboard a shot.

I'd need to add a BES server, though.

Interesting sidelight -- I went into the T-Mobile store in Pasadena today at lunchtime to look at the Pearl and the SDA and they didn't have any SDAs anywhere on display. Is T-Mobile dropping this phone?

Hey Tasty,
    Have you tried anything like th Moto Q or Samsung i670 or i320? I'd be interested to see how those compare to the Pearl. I'm kind of in the same boat as you about what you need the smartphone for. My company doesn't have a BES server, so they prefer we use WM Smartphones. I have a Treo 650 now which is a brick to me now that I see the specs on some of these lighter and smaller smartphones.
  13.    #53  
    I used a Moto-Q (still own it) and while i thought it was a terrific device the Pearl is the device for me. Search Moto-Q and you'll see many of my posts. It's a solid device, I simply prefer the form factor of the Pearl that much more.
    I used a Moto-Q (still own it) and while i thought it was a terrific device the Pearl is the device for me. Search Moto-Q and you'll see many of my posts. It's a solid device, I simply prefer the form factor of the Pearl that much more.
    Do your posts on the Q include comments about why you prefer the form factor of the Pearl? If not, would you care to elaborate here?
  15.    #55  
    free and my best advice: go and buy a Pearl, test drive it for 30 days, and then you tell me what you think! seriously, even between the Moto and the Pearl there is no comparison. I love the Pearl that much better in hand, in pocket and the like. It does feel a bit more well put together especially in the area of the battery cover. The Pearl is truly spectacular.
    free and my best advice: go and buy a Pearl, test drive it for 30 days, and then you tell me what you think! seriously, even between the Moto and the Pearl there is no comparison. I love the Pearl that much better in hand, in pocket and the like. It does feel a bit more well put together especially in the area of the battery cover. The Pearl is truly spectacular.
    oalvarez, do you use the Pearl with a BES?
    Well I just went to the T-Mobile store to look at the Pearl.

Suretype is pretty good. I think I understand why people say you can get full qwerty speed with it.

The trackball on the demo device was a bit sloppy but usable. Touchscreen is better I think and less prone to mechanical degradation.

Screen is niiiiiiiice.

The unit fails in the PIM deparment. I need the power of the Palm or WM5 PIM setup. BB ain't there yet. Same stuff I saw with my old 7230, just in a prettier wrapper.

If I used this I would need a BES. Software is free. I have spare computers to dedicate to this. But IT costs for Patrick (my IT consultant) to set this up? Unknown.

I'd be better off paying $200 to T-Mobile to get out of my contract--cheaper than consultant time to set up the BES--and go to Sprint for a 700wx.

Or wait a week for the Dash.

The Pearl was a bit hard to type on. Small. Duh. Used thumbnails. 'course I'm doing that with my Treo right now.

Decision: wait for the Dash. Sorry oalvarez, if I didn't need the BES I might get it.

Hmmm. I hope RIM monitors TC to see the lost sale at the small end of the market. Why incur the cost/complexity of BES when I can use the existing Exchange Server?
    I actually have tried out the dash. The keyboard was awful. The keys were tiny. I find the pearl alot more easy to type on. I find myself in a very strange position defending a blackberry over a windows mobile device because I have been such a huge WM supporter. The pearl has completely changed my mind on blackberries. Going on my second week and I have completely adjusted to suretype and can type just as easy and fast as on a full keyboard now.

For such a tiny phone, there is simply nothing on the market that comes close.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I actually have tried out the dash. The keyboard was awful. The keys were tiny. I find the pearl alot more easy to type on. I find myself in a very strange position defending a blackberry over a windows mobile device because I have been such a huge WM supporter. The pearl has completely changed my mind on blackberries. Going on my second week and I have completely adjusted to suretype and can type just as easy and fast as on a full keyboard now.

For such a tiny phone, there is simply nothing on the market that comes close.
    mobileman, do you use a BES with your Pearl? That's one of my two sticking points (the other being the *ahem* rudimentary PIM functionality of Blackberry).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    mobileman, do you use a BES with your Pearl? That's one of my two sticking points (the other being the *ahem* rudimentary PIM functionality of Blackberry).
    Yes I do. I can see that as an advantage with wm5. You can use direct push without any extra hardware or fees if you already have an Exchange 2003 environment. However, you can also use the Blackberry Internet Service without a BES to get you emails pushed to you.

As for the PIM, I have my calender set up to Agenda view, and its fine for me. I never used a third party calendar on my wm devices.

What makes the pearl so great, is what you get for the size. With the pearl, I never feel like I need to leave it at home (unlike my kjam), because I dont feel like lugging around a large phone.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast