Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The Pearl definitely has Threaded SMS. It does however store each SMS seperately. Once you open one up, it links all texts from that person together. It's a little different the how the Palm Treo's work, but its threaded.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  2.    #22  
    correct. it's threaded and it works. so for all of you threaded crazed this device is for you.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    There is one thing that will keep me away from all Blackberry's.......No Touch Screen. If they start making touch screens, I will start looking.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I have not used a touch screen on a regular basis and I really don't have a problem. There are times when it would be more convenient, but not really necessary, as people think.

And basically, no one puts touch screens on candy bar phones, the screen really is too small. Those bigger BBs could have had them, I agree.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    One thing I have also hated about BBs compared to Windows Mobiles is the mail screen. I hate that each mail only gets one line. You cant get good info about sender and subject unless you open the individual mail. I get about 75 emails a day. Plenty I never need or want to open.
  6.    #26  
    i receive into the thousands of transmissions, seems to work fine for me, perhaps our messages are that different.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i receive into the thousands of transmissions, seems to work fine for me, perhaps our messages are that different.
    Yeah, but my point is, the date, sender, and subject are all on one line. Windows mobile has it spread on two lines, and in my opinion is alot easier. I guess its not a deal breaker, but I much prefer the WM way.
    I just picked up this Blackberry Pearl on Saturday morning. All I can say is WOW, am I impressed! I have been a long-time Treo user from the 600 thru my current 650 (I have 4 of them: 1-Mine, 2-GF, 3-Employee 4-Spare). I have been noticing that lately my phone usage has been limited to the following activities: Phone calls, Texting (SMS & IMs), Email and using Handmark Express for looking up sports scores, weather and 411 info. The Balckberry Pearl addresses all of these needs beautifully and on top of that, I have yet to experience a crash or soft reset and Handmark Express supports the Blackberry line of phones. I am still 27 days from not being able to return the BB in the 30-day trial period, but I will fully evaluate this device and see how it works for me. Right now, I am ecstatic about having a great device that works beautifully and handles my business needs excellently.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  9.    #29  
    exactly. for MANY of us it's all we need, and for MANY others it offers probably more than necessary. is it enough for the uber "power" user? maybe, maybe not. does its battery last a whole lot longer? absolutely. but more importantly, it allows you to say "adios" to having to lug around a brick.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/03/2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    exactly. for MANY of us it's all we need, and for MANY others it offers probably more than necessary. is enough for the uber "power" user? maybe, maybe not. does its battery last a whole lot longer? absolutely. but more importantly, it allows you to say "adios" to having to lug around a brick.

all i know is i used to think that having a treo with ALL that it's capable of was so great, but at what cost? I never really used ALL the features of the phone and have really looked into what i USE my phone for on a daily basis, which is PHONE, EMAIL, SMS, IMs, HANDMARK EXPRESS and some WEB BROWSING. So, even if I were to call myself a power user, I just dont have the time and need for all the extra goodies (which are great, by the way!) the Treo offers. So I carry around a larger device to only make calls and get emails? For ME, the PEARL is a gem!

Just my $0.02.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hows the volume on the pearl? The one I demoed in the store, I didnt think was very loud on using the earpiece during calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps View Post
    Hows the volume on the pearl? The one I demoed in the store, I didnt think was very loud on using the earpiece during calls.

It's not blaringly loud, but definitely louder than the Treo 650 is out of the box. Also, the BT implementation of the BB is WAYYYYYYY better than that of the Treo. My calls go to the headset without any problems, etc. Also, the volume to the headset is louder from the BB than from my Treo 650.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  13.    #33  
    i know it might be hard for some Treo users that hang around this place to understand this, but there are great alternatives out there that offer what "most" really use their devices for and at a much lower $ point. oh yeah, and at half the weight. that's not to say that the Treo doesn't have a place in the PDA/Smartphone world, its enjoyed great success, but everything does come to an end.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 10/03/2006 at 09:33 PM.
    Look, I don't by any means 'hate' the Treo since I got my Pearl, I just appreciate the Pearl a lot for what it's capable of for its size. Even the Bluetooth works PROPERLY! That's one thing I never figured out about Palm: How they can make a great phone like the Treo 650, but have it lag so far behind other companies' offerings with things like Bluetooth! One of the MOST important things for me is BT implementation. On more than one occassion, my Treo 650 has lost the connection or failed to even make the connection to my Palm-branded BT headset! My Pearl, on the other hand, effortlessly and 100% of the time connects and keeps the connection alive during a call, with no problems. Also, the range of the BT from the Pearl is awesome. I couldn't put my 650 in my pocket using BT but now, I can leave the Pearl in the pocket and talk via BT! It's awesome. More people (on T-Mobile) should seriously consider this phone if email is important to them, as it is to me.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  15.    #35  
    i'm not trying to convince every treo user out there to run out and try a pearl (or some other smaller form factor device) but i do know that there are so many people out there who really could benefit from owning one. i think that some people think that bigger is better, and that weightiness/heft equate to performance. i will go as far as saying that many treo owners own them as status symbols as they've been the trendy phone to have for some time now. just sayin...
    Trendy only among business people in Chicago. Everyone else uses a RAZR, LOL! Or other flip phones. They are quite popular here, more than the Treo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17.    #37  
    here in Los Angeles/Orange County, you'd be surprised to see how many "people" carry around a Treo without the need. here in "hollywood" it's not what you need but what you own......goes well beyond phones and even i'm guilty of that. i simply think that the Treo which i once thought the world of is perhaps the biggest piece of crap, today.
    I was in LA lot, I know all about that "image" thing! It got on my nerves so much!

I don't think the Treo is really crap, just older technology since we're nearing 2007. I can't take the oldness of the OS anymore. And then they refuse to truly update their phones' hardware.

The biggest piece of crap, those thick out-of-date Nextel phones, LOL!! Those things are worse!

19.    #39  
    i will agree, i was a bit harsh and dramatic....thanks for that.
    I got a BB pearl at work to test for a few days. After popping out my sim card from my kjam, and setting myself up on the bes, I been using it as my main device for two days. I actually like the device more than I thought I would. It was alittle difficult going from the large screen of the kjam to the pearl, but I got used to it pretty quick. The keyboard is small, maybe alittle too small. The buttons on each side of the rollerball are hard to hit, but I find suretype to be pretty amazing. Besides names (and curse words), it gets almost everything right. I wonder why more phone makers dont copy or license suretype.

I downloaded some free apps, yahoo messenger, and bberry 411. These apps replace Agile messenger and directory assist for my kjam. The only apps I really miss is listpro and a good weather app.

I going on a business trip this weekend and Im going to leave the kjam at home, and only bring the pearl. I will have a better idea after that if it could be my main device. But as of now, for a tiny phone that has great IM, Email, SMS, and web browsing, I think its very good.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast