Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
  1.    #181  
    [QUOTE=bcaslis;1162726]But overall somethings are better than I expected. And of course no crashes yet. And the battery life is unbelievable compared to a Treo. Charged it, messed with it some more last night, left on all night, and now at almost 4pm still looks like 80% charge. Bluetooth on the whole time also.QUOTE]

WHAT HAVE I BEEN SAYING PEOPLE? suppose some of you need more than one person to validate such.

yes, slim can win
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  2.    #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Still, the Pearl is more compelling in hand than I expected.
    exactly...maybe they'll listen to you
    Probably not.

I somewhat amazed at the Microsoft syndrome here and other places. Feature, feature, feature. I sometimes wonder how these devices are used or if people just expect things not to work.

I'm waiting until Tuesday to see if Apple introduces a phone. I'd probably be willing to throw away features for something that worked flawlessly and integrated perfectly with my Mac.

Aside from the *!#$%#% Pocketmac software though, the Pearl hasn't had any problem. Just simple quiet competence. It's almost astonishing to get in and out of the car without have to do contortions to get the phone working again because the bluetooth hosed up.

I really cracked up watching the phone scoop video on youtube. They spend most of the b****ing about the "primitive" UI then close quietly mentioning the great bluetooth, email, and phone.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    exactly...maybe they'll listen to you
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Probably not.

I somewhat amazed at the Microsoft syndrome here and other places. Feature, feature, feature. I sometimes wonder how these devices are used or if people just expect things not to work.
    I'm somewhat amazed that some people cant realize that what might be the perfect solution for some, is not for others. I like the pearl very much, BUT, the PIM is terrible, I miss threaded SMS, and typing long emails on it is a chore compared to a device like the 8525.
  5.    #185  
    i have to agree that typing long emails might be a chore when compared to doing so on a full qwerty device. the PIM tells me what i need to know, not sure what else is needed beyond seeing a calendar and appointments. one can set tasks, use alarms, the whole thing. contacts are easily accessible and useable. while the sms is not exactly threaded it does a good job of mimicking it. don't you think?

darn stable device, that's for certain. no complaints.
    I'm not saying it's perfect or is the right one for everything. But for example, I've seen numerous times posts about the wonderful stability of WM5. Then later in thread there is always some mention about to keep WM5 functioning properly you should hard reset every now and then. It's stable but you have to hard reset to keep it stable?

To each their own, I tried the HTC TyTN and truly hated the form factor. A sliding keyboard isn't for me. I might end up not keeping the pearl, Mac synchronization is only available through one of the most vile pieces of software there is.

But the stability and form factor of the pearl is much better than I've seen any of the "official" reviews really talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm somewhat amazed that some people cant realize that what might be the perfect solution for some, is not for others. I like the pearl very much, BUT, the PIM is terrible, I miss threaded SMS, and typing long emails on it is a chore compared to a device like the 8525.
    Last edited by bcaslis; 01/07/2007 at 02:58 PM.
    while the sms is not exactly threaded it does a good job of mimicking it. don't you think?
    No. In fact, I confused by what RIM was trying to do here. It is threaded, but only for messages you have already recieved. If you have a thread open and respond, nothing new will show. I guess its mostly for reference of past conversations. Not anywhere close to Palms sms threading.
    Last edited by mobileman; 01/07/2007 at 07:30 PM.
  8.    #188  
    not sure i need to know what my/the last person's message was as i don't spend much time on sms. so for me, it does the trick just fine!
    I might end up not keeping the pearl, Mac synchronization is only available through one of the most vile pieces of software there is.
    I heard that Missing Sync might be coming out with a blackberry syncing software for the Mac. That would be very nice if they did since I am using Missing Sync with my BlackJack and it works great.
    not sure i need to know what my/the last person's message was as i don't spend much time on sms. so for me, it does the trick just fine!
    My point is, thats its not really a threaded sms application. If your not a big text person then it really doesnt matter. However, if you are, the palm version is a ton better.

I will say this, the pearl is a beautiful piece of hardware that does some things very well, others things not so good.
  11.    #191  
    just like the Treos except that they are not beautiful pieces of hardware.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Does the Pearl allow you to use a proxy server?

T-Mobiles T-Zones has an unlimted plan for 5.99.

But, it's only available for use by putting in a proxy server on my Treo 650.

Is this available for the Pearl too?

Thanks.
    No, any Blackberry on any service requires a blackberry data plan to get anything other than voice and SMS.

Not sure of the T-Mobile prices, Cingular prices are around $30 or $40 per month for unlimited data depending on which email service you need (BIS or BES).

Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    TMO's bb plan costs $20/month.

Cingular has an unlimited BB international plan for an additional $35/month. TMO's international plan is an additional $20, but officially it only covers email, and you have to pay 1.5 cents/kb for web access. (Many threads on this at HoFo; it seems that in most cases TMO actually does *not* charge for web data, even though they could.)
    Better late than never, right? I finally got one. I think I'm going to use this as my weekend smartphone! It covers all the basics if that's what you need.

WM still rules though! But since I have my laptop much of the time anyway, the BB could be a simpler solution. However, I'm keeping the 750 for the times when I need more. I am looking on Handango for BB apps that can cover what the BB is lacking out of the box, but so far there's not much I need. Just a call manager and weather program so far. Maybe an RSS reader.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post

Thanks.
    On Pinstack there's a post about T-Mobile just now adding a basic service for BB owners with no data plan. You can get basic stuff(T-Zones, MMS). Still no push email, but if you're looking for internet without a BB plan, they may have it now!

I suspect it's actually to stop returns of the Pearl by people who didn't realize they're getting a business phone that requires a specific plan. They get it home and can't use the phone for data or email. Because it looks like a regular phone!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Better late than never, right? I finally got one. I think I'm going to use this as my weekend smartphone! It covers all the basics if that's what you need.

WM still rules though! But since I have my laptop much of the time anyway, the BB could be a simpler solution. However, I'm keeping the 750 for the times when I need more. I am looking on Handango for BB apps that can cover what the BB is lacking out of the box, but so far there's not much I need. Just a call manager and weather program so far. Maybe an RSS reader.
    There are some really good programs out there for the Blackberry. Jivetalk is the best IM program I have used on any mobile platform by far. Viigo is a great free RSS reader. BBweather is a nice free weather program. I also use Splash ID, and Splash Photo.
    My brother has the blackbettery and it is lil slow for me, I hated waiting for couple of minutes to switch themes or check out Yahoo Go. I have to say I love that SurType it has . Very cool.
    The Pearl is slow for sure! REALLY slow when initializing from synchronization! Slower than Windows phones! They probably didn't put a serious processor in it.

But it's still OK as a small non-heavy usage smartphone. I can use it for basics.

I'm still getting an 8525 though. I need the power of WM for some things.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    There are some really good programs out there for the Blackberry. Jivetalk is the best IM program I have used on any mobile platform by far. Viigo is a great free RSS reader. BBweather is a nice free weather program. I also use Splash ID, and Splash Photo.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910