1.    #1  
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archi...17/760076.aspx

I wonder how long it will take for the consumer to see a device?

PS: ALP better get their act together soon.
    I think it'll be at least 6 months, if not a year...it'll be interesting to see what kind of changes MS is putting in the new Windows, especially since they seemed to have realized they need to improve their one handedness.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    In the comments section someone says...

Note that this is the Windows CE "Embedded" release and is not a Windows Mobile release.
    Its the foundation though.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its the foundation though.
    True, but it doesn't necessarily mean that WM6 is ready for release
    wm5 SE is due in a few months, and wm6 will be at least a year later.

Surur
    will we be able to upgrade to SE?
    Sure, buy a new device, that's how they always do it. GRRR....

I remember only HP allowed certain devices to be updated to WM5, but that was the only company I heard of doing it. IF Palm has sense, they'd let everyone who owns a 700 and up do it too. But then we're talking about Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    As much as im growing tired with Palm, I honestly dont think the decision rest with palm. The carriers have way too much power. The decision, in my mind rests with them.
    What would the carriers' beef be with allowing people to upgrade the OS?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Support costs. They are real in this case. They would need to train people in two versions of the OS, a significant numbers of ROM flashes will go wrong, bricking devices. Also they wont have any carrots to make people buy the next device.

Surur
    How much different is WM5 SE really going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sure, buy a new device, that's how they always do it. GRRR....

I remember only HP allowed certain devices to be updated to WM5, but that was the only company I heard of doing it. IF Palm has sense, they'd let everyone who owns a 700 and up do it too. But then we're talking about Palm.
    Oh I was pissed when HP let some of their pda get SE as I had the 2003 model then when I upgrade to 2003 SE latter on I could get get wm5. But all the pda folks on the forums said the reason was the pda's I had at the times did not support the more memory requirement of the new os. I.e. my hp RX3417 did not have enough ram(or was it rom) for WM5. Oh if I am not mistaken Dell offered WM5 upgrade and last I remeber the Samsung slider pda phone for Verizon was suppose to get the upgrade but it was talking or while or something so someone did some hacks and ported to the phone. So I could be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How much different is WM5 SE really going to be?
    It probably wont be anything major. probably just bug fixes and usability improvements, with one or two new features. With the flood of AKU updates coming out there is already quite a spread of different and improved versions of WM around. AKU 3 for example supports external screens, which is not very relevant to a Treo, but is god sent to clamshell device users,

Surur