Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so am i to believe the main problem most palm users have w/ the nokia is the lack of third party apps?
    so am i to believe the main problem most palm users have w/ the nokia is the lack of third party apps
    For some users that is the case as many are more attached to the apps than the device. For others it is a different OS with a different methodology of doing things (tap, scroll, etc.) and so to change that aspect is like learning a new language (where you only want to do it if you have to).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    What's the E61/E62's answer to the D-pad? And what's it like navigating without the touch screen? I want full OTA sync to my Exchange Server. I'll buy the T-Mobile Dash in a couple of weeks but there's a dealer around here where I can buy the E61 new for $360-ish and that's a pretty tempting price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    For some users that is the case as many are more attached to the apps than the device. For others it is a different OS with a different methodology of doing things (tap, scroll, etc.) and so to change that aspect is like learning a new language (where you only want to do it if you have to).

understood. that is what i figured. i like my 650, and i like the apps i have but the nokia is looking nice as well as some of the other phones through cingular. but i am "used" to the palm. oh well....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    What's the E61/E62's answer to the D-pad? And what's it like navigating without the touch screen? I want full OTA sync to my Exchange Server. I'll buy the T-Mobile Dash in a couple of weeks but there's a dealer around here where I can buy the E61 new for $360-ish and that's a pretty tempting price point.
    If you really need a Dpad and touchscreen, you may not like the joystick and side button selection method the E61 uses. And remember, this phone has no camera. Just be aware that it's quite different from the 650.

I am apparently one of the few ex-Treo users who has no problem with Symbian, but it looks like some have used the Treo for so long, they don't want to give anything else a chance.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Yes, but it's funny how US people had no problem dumping the Palm OS for WM, which also isn't as simple to use. But they complain about Symbian. I only say this because apparently they don't seem to have this problem with Symbian overseas. Why over here? I'm still trying to figure out the difference.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, but does it work? I tried an E61 for a month and I found the voice recognition useless. It NEVER got a single entry right. On the other hand a Motorola Q never got an entry wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    YES E61 has BUILT IN NATIVE voice recognition, just hold the record button 2 secs and say the name pooof your dialing.. and no tedious learning and saying every name.... the E61 does it all and of course through the BT headset as well.... Try that treo!!!
    i use the worldmate that came with the E61
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I don't mind the Symbian OS. It's not as simple to use as I think it should be but the ease of use is better than WM5.

But the apps are a problem. I like to use ereader for books. They have a symbian version but it doesn't work with s60 3rd edition devices like the E61. I emailed their support and they replied that they have no plans to ever update the app for symbian devices!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If you really need a Dpad and touchscreen, you may not like the joystick and side button selection method the E61 uses. And remember, this phone has no camera. Just be aware that it's quite different from the 650.

I am apparently one of the few ex-Treo users who has no problem with Symbian, but it looks like some have used the Treo for so long, they don't want to give anything else a chance.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    That is really dumb, since all new Nokia's will have S60 3rd edition on them. I guess they want to leave out a huge part of the world! Well let's hope some other developer will take up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, but it's funny how US people had no problem dumping the Palm OS for WM, which also isn't as simple to use. But they complain about Symbian. I only say this because apparently they don't seem to have this problem with Symbian overseas. Why over here? I'm still trying to figure out the difference.
    I would be glad to give symbian os a try. But all the phones I have seen that use symbian are GSM phones. Unless there is a Symbian phone for us CDMA users.
    I have both treo650 and e61 as of now. Overall I like to use my treo better because of many reasons that are very important to me.

Things about e61 that i don't like (and welcome solutions to):

1) Emails: Embedded weblinks like this are stripped. There is no way for me to view tracking numbers, anything that has an embedded link. ***My #1 bug for e61***

2) Responsiveness of the software/OS. Basically (when compared with a treo loaded full with apps), the e61 is slow. Takes noticeably longer to move around the OS, etc.

3) Symbian's menu within a menu. For some tasks, you would have to go deep into many layers of menus before you reach the one you have to click to do the task you want to do.

4) Dpad. Still trying to get use to it as it is less "accurate" for me even though I already have pretty skinny fingers.

5) Not one handed friendly. For example to copy and paste, you need to press CONTROL and C, but those two buttons are on oppsite sides of the keyboard.

6) No way to copy and paste text from Emails or Web sites. Unless there's a link that you can select, you cannot copy OR paste if your life depended on it. ***Major dislike as I get a lot of information from the Web and Emails that I need to store***.

Good things about the E61 are the same as what everyone mentioned. GREAT screen, Great Web experience, Great sound from speaker AND earpiece, Great softwares, Great hardware, Looks sexy, Profiles (much needed for ANY phone...treo doesn't have that), Voice dial, Voice recorder, Today screen, Battery life, Standby mode (wish treos had this), and finally I can use the phone for web/data at home without a sim cuz it has WIFI.

To me, e61 wins with their software, and hardware. Loses in its experience in making handhelds very quick and useful for the tasks the user needs to complete. Palm wins with their easy, intuitive OS, zippy fast OS, and most importantly embedded links in email, copy and paste, and touchscreen.

Emails just don't display as well on the E61 as on the treo even with Versamail.

I think if you are already used to the palm OS, you will not like the treo being replaced by the e61. If you can have both, it's the best combination! The weird thing is, if i have never owned a treo, I would absolutly LOVE the e61. Out of the box, it can do more than a treo with 10 aftermarket apps on it.

Oh, and no audio jack. 2.5 or 3.5
    Last edited by chenling; 09/30/2006 at 08:14 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12