Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    I'm still looking at the iPod, believe it or not, due to size. It does matter to me, I carry enough stuff in my purse, LOL! I might wait for the true video iPod supposed to be released next year, I'm not sure. Cowon does rock though!

BTW, the Nano sounds better when the MP3s are made from Lame. Go figure. Apple's encoder isn't as good quality.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/29/2006 at 04:05 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm still looking at the iPod, believe it or not, due to size. It does matter to me, I carry enough stuff in my purse, LOL! Cowon does rock though!

BTW, the Nano sounds better when the MP3s are made from Lame. Go figure. Apple's encoder isn't as good quality.
    Funny, since my Treo jack is history, I am planning on buying a Nano this weekend. I am mp3 crazy too Diva. I am a Generation Xer and I am an 80's music feen and have over 3000 songs on my notebook.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I've tried a bunch of encoders (incl. LAME) and varied aspects of encoding too and far and away the biggest difference seems to be bit rate. For convenience I settled on the iTunes MP3 encoder and use it at 224 kbps CBR (Auto Sample Rate, Auto Channels, Joint Stereo, Filter Frequencies Below 10 Hz, no Smart Encoding Adjustments). Sounds fine to me.

Encoding aside, I think the best thing you can do to improve sound quality is to change your headphones from those supplied with the device. Based on sound quality, the MP3 players I've used I'd rank: iPod Shuffle>iPod nano/3G iPod/4G iPod>Treo 650 (pTunes), but with a half-decent pair of headphones (I'm using the cheapish but rather good Sony MDR-EX71s) the Treo sounds better than the Shuffle with it's supplied headphones. Not to say that supplied Apple 'phones are particularly bad - I've heard *much* worse! I've never tried anything more expensive than the MDR-EX71s, but I'd guess there are further gains to be had if you're willing to part with cash (I might be if I was so hard on them and didn't need to replace them so often!)
    i go with the ipod. i know it works. i'm not trying to be an early adopter of zune. i mean, it "looks" alright. but as the diva says...weight is my concern. everyone says the zune is a brick. im a man on the go...plus i dont roll with a man-purse, lol. i have the wallet, keys, treo, and room for one more. the ipod. it's light. it works. never...ever had problems with it. if the zune can lose some weight, then i'll think about it.
    I did use another pair of earphones, though not that $100 + Shure pair, LOL! Maybe that does make a difference, but even still the device should sound halfway decent even with regular earphones. I got better sound from the Creative with the same pair of earphones!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I did use another pair of earphones, though not that $100 + Shure pair, LOL! Maybe that does make a difference, but even still the device should sound halfway decent even with regular earphones. I got better sound from the Creative with the same pair of earphones!
    I was looking at this 2G nano review the other night:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...ation-2-4-8gb/

The reviewers basically like the audio quality and so do most of those commenting. One person notes he had a bad one but the replacement was fine. I wonder if your supplier had a bad batch?

EDIT: here's another one that really likes the sound:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C18...15761%2C00.asp
    Last edited by marcol; 09/29/2006 at 08:35 AM.
    I got $80 headphones for $30 at a Compusa that is closing down and they are the best headphones I have ever used. I am now just wating to see if I can get my Cowon working right, if not sell it and wait to see what cowon brings out next, and what Creative has in store, rumor is a player with XF-I technology.
    They did get a bad batch, I had to get a 3rd one to get acceptable sound.

Could be a firmware problem causing lower than average sound.
    There is a firmware update immediately when you plug it in, but the last 2 had that too. It isn't volume, but clarity of the music I had a problem with.

The last one I got seems OK. But the click wheel is a bit off-center construction-wise(there's a gap in the circle seam). I'd return it again but I may end up back where I started. The last 2 I had were made well, but bad sound. This one is good sound, but questionable how they assembled it. Like I said before, I can't seem to win, LOL! And I so wanted the fuschia one too, LOL! I got twin Nanos the last time too.

New 8gig Z V and Zen V plus now official. http://www.epizenter.net/news.php I would get plus just for the extra FM radio.
    A fan site for Creative! Who would have thought? Well that's good!!

8GB, yeah!!

That Venzero looks cool! I'd like to see them in US stores by the holidays. Looks like they're taking preorders on their website.

http://www.venzero.com/us/shop/preorder/index.php

Can't use with a Mac though! I have PC, but all these limits make it hard to diversify players when you have a Mac. I would like to try moving to Mac again, but can't.

That Venzero looks cool! I'd like to see them in US stores by the holidays. Looks like they're taking preorders on their website.

http://www.venzero.com/us/shop/preorder/index.php

Can't use with a Mac though! I have PC, but all these limits make it hard to diversify players when you have a Mac. I would like to try moving to Mac again, but can't.
    Yeah I dual boot just to use my treo and certain windows apps. But then again I my mp3 is ums compatible. And one small down side to creative is no mac support from creative but people have release software to allow the support. BTW there is also a Cown fan site too.
    iaudiophile? I have seen that too.

I just ended up getting the $100 earphones, I'll see if they're worth it tonight!

The sound is pretty crisp and clear, but I'm not really sure they're worth $100. Also, they are hard to stay in my ear since my ears are small.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/01/2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Update!

I say return them and wait till a store is running out of business or closing down a location get it a good deal. That how I got good deal on mines. There are some good headphone recommendations there. http://www.dapreview.net/e107_plugin...opic.php?48148
    It won't happen any time soon around here. All the stores are around $100 and I need a decent pair of earphones at this time. But I must say, I have a much cheaper pair that actually sounds better to me, bass-wise. But this pair is quite clear and concise, which is a big difference. It also seemed to remove the weird background noise I was getting. So I guess it will depend on which I prefer in the end.

I had no choice but to exchange them, they were getting uncomfortable. BUT I found another of the same brand that fits better!! The bass still isn't strong but it comes through and the sound is clear. The other pair was a bit better, but I coudn't stand the fit. But I am beginning to think perhaps $100 earphones may not be all they're cracked up to be. I bet I could have found a decent $50 pair. Well maybe one day I'll try the $200 and $300 pairs of this brand, since people keep saying they are better than the $100 pair. But not now.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/03/2006 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Update Oct. 2! Also one mistake.

Looks like Best Buy will carry the Zune. I hope they put out test samples.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

quick look at the http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=2009395n

odd that CBS has a video but Cnet has nothing.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast