Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]People recommend Winamp to manage your iPod, if you're sick of iTunes. Winamp also uses the great MP3 encoder Lame, I think. And the new iTunes sucks as a player, it's only good for managing your iPod.

COLOR]
    I would agree with that. Winamp allows you to listen to songs from your Ipod within winamp (its crazy that Itunes doesnt allow this). You can rate your songs within winamp, then click a button that says "sync ratings and play counts from winamp to ipod".
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I laugh whenever I see stories about the next iPod Killer. What many don't get and certainly Microsoft never has and probably never will, is that a huge part of the success for Apple with the iPod is the "coolness" factor.

There are many MP3 players out there with more features and lower prices. However, when your average teenager tells his friend that he bought a music player, does he want to say "I bought a XR236Y from Acme Company" or " I got an iPod" Heck, never mind teenagers, I'm 51 and I much prefer Ipod over any other player. From what I have seen of the Zune, its ugly

Microsoft does not and never did get design, and that is a major factor when selling to the consumer entertainment market. This also applies to other areas of Microsoft. Until the era of Gates and Ballmer comes to an end, we will not see a change. They need new blood there. Nothing innovative comes out of there, and the exciting developments are happening in Open Source.
    Remember the Zen (of Palm, not Creative). Come back in 3 years.

Surur
    People recommend Winamp to manage your iPod, if you're sick of iTunes. Winamp also uses the great MP3 encoder Lame, I think. And the new iTunes sucks as a player, it's only good for managing your iPod.

And nothing beats drag and drop, which Cowon and newer Creatives have.

The coolness factor of iPod is actually about 30% importance to me. I want great sound more than anything, but size also matters. Nanos are still thinner than most other players, but I will take any smaller player that has great sound and decent features.
    Creative isn't full ums. You still have to use software to transfer music and video files, however you can allocate space for UMS usage and on the new 60gig file transfer from another product like a camera.
    Winamp Pro is pretty good so far! I wonder if I can get it to retrieve album art, then I could use it fully for the iPod, while I wait for iTunes to release a usable update to 7. I had to move my burned songs into iTunes for that. Then iTunes proceeded to claim all burned songs as in their library.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    7.01 update came out for itunes cant tell the difference as I never had a problem with itunes. If I could I would be running winamp on my mac but at moment I don't have enough space to dual boot, and parallel isn't working with my external hd. the new update said it should fix syncing issues and what not.
    iTunes didn't automatically detect the update for me. I guess I'd better try again.

The Lame MP3 encoder might be worth using Winamp though. It was only $20 for Pro. Skins, no hiccup in the playing(unlike iTunes 7), etc. You just have to be willing to learn more, it won't do everything for you like iTunes.

OK, I downloaded it. I hope they fixed the stuttering problem.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/27/2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Update.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well I got lame for free as part of EAC software package and yeah lame is one of the better Mp3 encoders. On my pc I use EAC and Lame to encode all my mp3 works great. Unlike my Apple where it not as good. I only saw it because my computer is set to update at a certain time and there was another update that came out for Final Cut.
    To get back on topic, the Zune is supposed to be out by Christmas? If not, that won't be good because you know the iPod could be selling like hotcakes at that time. They also should replace brown with red(just a personal preference).

I read they are going to buy out your iTunes purchases by letting you redownload for free all your iTunes songs from their store. But that won't help me, I also download from Real Player's store.

Also, I didn't see any info on the Zune phone yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/0...eut/index.html

well, all the Zune rumors of pricing were just....rumors.

$249.99 - 11/14

MS lost.
    MSFT indeed seems headed toward failure, at least for 2006

Still that ugly brown! And what do we want a lot of preloaded stuff for? Our 30GB should be ours to fill up! Even Apple doesn't do that!

You're right, MSFT itself even said they expect to lose money at first. And with all the stupid restrictions they want to put on the Zune, just so they can imitate iTunes Store, no wonder!

And what will convince users to dump Napster, etc. for Zune Marketplace? The price is the same! Over 2 million songs, well we'll see. And what are MSFT points? Just charge a flat fee, geez!!

They might have had better success if they had convinced Toshiba to make a Gigabeat Zune with wifi just for them. The Gigabeat is better than this thing!! Looks a bit better and has Plays for Sure.

Maybe I'll look at the flash player they will probably have out next year, but no thanks for now.

Well people are saying that the overpriced addons aint a good idea at all.

Well this is the Gigabeat S but with a larger screen and wifi. FCC reports show this is a Toshiba.

On an interesting note the Nokia N75 looks better music player than this as it has 40gigs(but the Zune does offer 60gigs or so I hear) and I am assuming a better battery life and it is a phone damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    On an interesting note the Nokia N75 looks better music player than this as it has 40gigs
    Thats 40 MB, not gigabyte.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Well people are saying that the overpriced addons aint a good idea at all.

Well this is the Gigabeat S but with a larger screen and wifi. FCC reports show this is a Toshiba.

On an interesting note the Nokia N75 looks better music player than this as it has 40gigs(but the Zune does offer 60gigs or so I hear) and I am assuming a better battery life and it is a phone damn.
    As for the add-ons, you would think MSFT would know NOT to totally imitate Apple in that area. Otherwise, how do you convince people to jump from one proprietary company to another??? It's the same boat, just different companies.

People may say, "well I'll just stay with Apple. Less hassle to move".

I also hear no videos in the Zune store, HUH??

MSFT still has time before the release to fix possible bad marketing decisions. They can't do anything about the bricks, but they can make it more attractive than the iPod, feature-wise. The sharing alone may not do it, IMO.
    They are making it a bit difficult to obtain music from them. Their store policies are actually even less attractive than the device! "Microsoft also announced it will sell a music subscription pass for $14.99 a month, allowing users to listen to any of the songs on Zune Marketplace. It pledges to offer 2 million-plus songs at launch. After the pass expires, users will not be able to access those songs.

For consumers looking to own a song, the Zune Marketplace will sell tracks for 79 Microsoft points. A user can buy 80 Microsoft points for $1 and points will also be redeemable at its online video game store, Xbox Live Marketplace."

There seems to be no mention of if you can download subscription music to the player. Useless if you can't. That's a deal breaker for me. Plus where do we get passes from? Rhapsody just charges my CC every month, and I think all other subscription music places do too. Passes are good for those with no CC, BUT I hope they clear up as to where you can get them. And if it's online, what's the use of that? Just charge a CC!! Guess we have to wait for 11/14 to find out how do get subscription music from them. Also, no quarterly or yearly rates offered?

And everyone else also charges a flat fee per song, not points. Why don't they just say they want $.99 per song, which is basically what it comes out to??

Come on MSFT, why make the usually easy stuff harder?

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats 40 MB, not gigabyte.

Surur
    I was just saying what I read on cnet. I guess it was a typo I was hopping it was real.
    How about a quick informal poll? Let's say you need a hard drive player.

On Nov. 14, which would would you feel better buying?

The 30GB iPod or the 30GB Zune?

What about the Venzero?

http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=venzero

I have not seen this available for the US, though.

How about a quick informal poll? Let's say you need a hard drive player.

On Nov. 14, which would would you feel better buying?

The 30GB iPod or the 30GB Zune?

Zune because I would like a player with bigger screen and possible better video codec. But then again I have two pc at home and two mac laptops. But at the moment I waiting to see what new item Cowon has to offer as my A2 is messing up pretty badly. Ten I get to decide whether to go with a new Cowon, ZVM 60gig or maybe even Zune if it has a 60gig option or divx support.

What about the Venzero?

http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=venzero

I have not seen this available for the US, though.
    http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3654 more news on them.
    So just how popular are larger thicker players? I rarely see any. And I'm still not sure I can even use one. The Nano meets my needs, so far. Also the Zen Microphoto. The 30GB iPod is thin enough not to be obtrusive, but still...

Zune accessories!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/28/a...ssory-gallery/

P.S. What happened to everybody who was posting in this thread? Only 2 or 3 of us are left, it seems.

For me I don't care how small the player is. It is function over form. I ask for a few things. Must have FM radio with built in recorder for fm and voice, 25+gigs flac, divx, xvid and mpeg2 codecs support. If I get all of those in a player that has sound quality a little better than good(like my A2) I may purchase depending on what else is in the market. Those are some of the reason I chose Cowon A2 over the Archos AV500. Now if the Zune comes with all of those(flac isn't a deal breaker) I may purchase it if it fits my needs well and it comes with a screen that is actually good.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast