Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    From the recent settlement between Apple and Creative it looks like Creative are positioning themselves as more of an iPod accessories company than a competing MP3 manufacturer
    Don't make me depressed Taz.

I am quite disappointed in the sound of the new Nano. I will have to go back to Creative. The Microphoto I have sounds great and I guess it's time for the Zen V Plus because the Nano sounds mediocre IMO. I got an exchange thinking I had a bad one, this one is a little better but not by a whole lot.

I'd just wait for the Cowon F2, although I'm not looking forward to paying $250 for 2GB. Apple got slick(marketing-wise) when they reduced prices. They even forced Creative to lower prices. So now the Zen is even cheaper. The 4GB is $180.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #103  
    I think creative is going to go after every mp3 player maker from now on, including Microsoft. The settlement must be some kind of back hand deal between Apple and Creative.
    Alternatively (and I have not heard anyone say this for some reason) it may allow creative to make a player compatible with all the Ipod accessories. Thats what I would do if I had Apple over the barrel and wanted some concession.

Surur
    I'd like to see Creative make it on it's own merits, instead of trying to chase Apple too much. Creative has very few of it's own accessories. We need more cases and screen protectors.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Alternatively (and I have not heard anyone say this for some reason) it may allow creative to make a player compatible with all the Ipod accessories. Thats what I would do if I had Apple over the barrel and wanted some concession.
    I expect you've not heard anyone say it because it's not what happened. The only details of the settlement I've seen say 1) Apple will pay Creative $100 million for a licence, and 2) Creative will join Apple's "Made for iPod" program so they can make iPod accessories.

Back on topic a bit, the joint Apple/Creative press release says that "Apple can recoup a portion of its payment if Creative is successful in licensing this patent to others". I guess that means they'll be going after others then! I wonder if the Zune interface infringes this patent? If it does Microsoft will need to licence too (or perhaps they already have?). If you were Creative, who would you go after next?

Press release:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...ettlement.html
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    The settlement must be some kind of back hand deal between Apple and Creative.
    That's seems plausable. Or it could just be as simple as Creative was operating in the red from their marketing campaign to beat Apple (which failed by the way) and now needs some money. I don't know the first thing about business, but to me, that kind of makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    That's seems plausable. Or it could just be as simple as Creative was operating in the red from their marketing campaign to beat Apple (which failed by the way) and now needs some money. I don't know the first thing about business, but to me, that kind of makes sense.
    What Creative marketing campaign? Not in the US! Maybe in Singapore, their base. Or maybe even Europe and Asia, but I barely see anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Don't make me depressed Taz.

I am quite disappointed in the sound of the new Nano. I will have to go back to Creative. The Microphoto I have sounds great and I guess it's time for the Zen V Plus because the Nano sounds mediocre IMO. I got an exchange thinking I had a bad one, this one is a little better but not by a whole lot.

I'd just wait for the Cowon F2, although I'm not looking forward to paying $250 for 2GB. Apple got slick(marketing-wise) when they reduced prices. They even forced Creative to lower prices. So now the Zen is even cheaper. The 4GB is $180.
    Actually the Zen V(non plus) was way cheaper even before apple announced the new updates and it was only cheaper because of the Sansa. The ZVM was also cheaper for a while on places like Amazon. But in terms of price I think the 6gig Sansa is pretty cheap.
    So Creative is competing more against Sandisk? I think they really need to compete against Apple a little more. Since the new releases, Apple got a huge boost. And supposedly the true video iPod will be released next year, meaning Creative, Archos and Cowon may be put on notice since they already have PVPs.

Well in price that is. As you can see Zen V(non plus) players can be had at $10 less than the Sansa in the same gigs.
    As you can see their players currently have more codec support(video) than Apples players and FM radio on some their players at a lower cost. Too bad we don't get the nice Zen Neeon 2.

More interesting Creative news.http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3646
    I saw that! It has the same interface as the Zen Vision M and we don't get it. WHY, Creative, why? That thing would definitely be a contender!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I saw that! It has the same interface as the Zen Vision M and we don't get it. WHY, Creative, why? That thing would definitely be a contender!!
    None of them are contenders until they can be given a gigantic push, and thats where the Zune comes in. They have to be more than better, they have to be marketed aggressively by some-one who has credibility, and thats where MS comes in.

Surur
    Creative has credibility. They just seem to be not as good as Apple at marketing. Yes, MS is good at marketing. But good luck selling a brick to the young crowd among all the slim players. I'll believe the Zune will beat Apple when I see people start carrying brick players.

I'd buy the Neeon 2 over the Zune any day! If the US could get it, I'd have gotten it already!

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It's simple, Apple are perceived as being cool therefore Apple's products are cool. The iPod has also become a kind of fashion accessory so people who previously had no need or desire for an MP3 player have rushed out to buy one. I don't think any amount of marketing Creative or anyone else do is going to change that. Microsoft may succeed with the tech savy buyers but I don't think they'll have much impact with the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    It's simple, Apple are perceived as being cool therefore Apple's products are cool. The iPod has also become a kind of fashion accessory so people who previously had no need or desire for an MP3 player have rushed out to buy one. I don't think any amount of marketing Creative or anyone else do is going to change that. Microsoft may succeed with the tech savy buyers but I don't think they'll have much impact with the rest.
    They say MS is at its best when competing against a dominant incumbent. Ive said this earlier in the thread, but look at Lotus, completely squashed, Word Perfect full-stopped, Netscape, completely foobar-red, Sony in massive disarray, Palm actually using Windows Mobile, Psion using Windows CE, Apple computers with a 4% market share, Quicken fought to a stand still etc.

To dismiss the Zune because of the "cool of the Ipod" would be a big mistake. If Apple is counting on that the will find it provides about as much protection as the "Zen of Palm" did.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ...but look at Lotus, completely squashed, Word Perfect full-stopped, Netscape, completely foobar-red
    And look at the methods they used to achieve it Sure if they make it so Vista only works with the Zune then that will help them gain market share.
    This time MSFT made a mistake in design. We don't like bricks when working out or walking down the street.

And Firefox(which is a lot like Netscape) can easily take on IE.

And how is Sony in disarray???

And Palm shot themselves in the foot by doing that. I can't call that competition because Palm was dumb enough to give themselves to MSFT.

I dunno if I was in market for a compact video player the Zune might be it with a 3in screen.
    You're sure?

BTW, I'm on my 3rd new Nano. Thank goodness CC is nice about returns. The sound just sucks. The old one sounded better to me! And I get the song echoing in the background as well as in the forefront. I don't know what's up with that. And the equalizer is almost useless. This is the last strike, if this one sucks, I'm definitely going back to Creative or even try ordering a Cowon.

So no, I'm not a complete Apple fangirl, if people were thinking that. I just don't think the Zune is the one to kill the iPod. They also made a mistake not being Plays for Sure. They are going to MAKE people use yet another proprietary store, like iTunes. This is a good idea??? So right off the bat they exclude music subscribers who use THEIR technology on other devices. Why wouldn't they make it so people would consider dumping the other devices for the Zune? The music already has DRM on it, so if people share it, it would still be protected. They can't tell me that they don't make money off their subscription music technology since it's on most devices except iPod. Even Creative and Cowon!! What's wrong with MSFT???

P.S. Thanks for the 8GB Creative news!!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast