Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Looking at the video on Dapreview, I still don't like it, sorry guys.

It looks retro, maybe retro is back, I don't know. But it's not for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Looking at the video on Dapreview, I still don't like it, sorry guys.

It looks retro, maybe retro is back, I don't know. But it's not for me.
    It isn't for many people on that site as many of them demand ogg, flac and vorbis audio support, and divx, and xvid video support.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The same thing may be happening to the Ipod. Sony Walkman phones are apparently selling very well, and Nokia is moving into the music store business. Apple dreams of selling 10 million Ipod's per quarter, where Nokia sells 70 million phones per quarter.
    I have no trouble at all believing that music phones will take some of the music player market. If Apple get it right though the iPhone could see them cutting a decent slice of the (much bigger) pie that is the phone market. They might end up selling fewer iPods, but the iPod plus iPhone sales could easily outstrip what they're shifting now.

it will soon be walkman phones/Zune/apple.
    I know you started by saying that you're a Microsoft fanboy, but do you really believe that Zune will be a significant player 'soon'? Top three your statement implies. I really doubt that even the nutcases who've started Zune fan sites without ever using a Zune device would predict this for the first gen device. What happened to Nokia in this analysis?
    Last edited by marcol; 09/17/2006 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I know you started by saying that you're a Microsoft fanboy, but do you really believe that Zune will be a significant player 'soon'? Top three your statement implies. I really doubt that even the nutcases who've started Zune fan sites without ever using a Zune device would predict this for the first gen device. What happened to Nokia in this analysis?
    You are right, but define soon. I will say in 3 years cellphones will be the default music player, just like they are currently the default PDA, and 3 years is certainly enough to take a lot of market share from Apple.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I will say in 3 years cellphones will be the default music player
    So what you're saying is that MS entering the MP3 market now is about as smart as someone trying to get into the PDA market
    True. Introducing an IPhone before Apple would have been a more forward thinking approach. I understand however that the cellphone/carrier market is quite difficult to get into. HTC has however publicly said they will be doing the music phone thing a lot better soon, so who knows.

Surur
  7.    #47  
    The short version of the above being they have the resources to win a music player war, and are not afraid to use it. If MS subsidized the Zune, and I get an advanced WIFI-equipped music/vide player for cheap, why would I complain? The fact is that the Zune features will work a whole lot better if everyone had one, in the same way there is a synergy from everyone running windows.

Surur

Is it cheaper though? The Xbox was cheaper, which superior hardware. This thing...is going price itself out of the competition. Unless they are seeling it at $200 then it has a fighting chance.

You are right, but define soon. I will say in 3 years cellphones will be the default music player, just like they are currently the default PDA, and 3 years is certainly enough to take a lot of market share from Apple.

Surur
    That's what they should do from the start anyway. Make a phone music player. In fact they should start a MVNO even they have to. HDD base player is not the right hardware at the right time. I can see HDD base music player going away in two years.

But that's too much to ask for Microsoft because they are such a "me too" company they can't think of anything original themselves.

Surur

Phones will need to start providing a LOT more storage space as the norm, to be a default music player. Plus I need smartphone features.

Which Nokia has smartphone features AND can store 500 - 1000 songs? I know they have the N91, but does that have enough space? I guess I could store 500 songs on a 2GB miniSD, but what if I want some of that space for programs?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Phones will need to start providing a LOT more storage space as the norm, to be a default music player. Plus I need smartphone features.

Which Nokia has smartphone features AND can store 500 - 1000 songs? I know they have the N91, but does that have enough space? I guess I could store 500 songs on a 2GB miniSD, but what if I want some of that space for programs?
    Well, the Samsung i310 is a WM smartphone with 8 GB of storage. The problem is that you need more than one good phone, you need a system, and you need promotion, and you need accessories, and you need focus. Everything is already technically possible.

Surur
    Depending on the phone, you could put a larger SD card in it. 4GB works on Treos when formatted as FAT32. Fat32 supports up to 2 Terrabytes I believe, so future SD cards (8gb, 16gb, etc) may work on the Treos and other phones as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Everything except the full size Treo is going mini and micro SD. That means we have to wait for high capacity. Sandisk is releasing a 4GB, but it will work only on the new SD standard.

Isn't there a sony phone with like 4-5gigs of space?

There also is that dual cor GSM, and voip phone that runs wm5, and windows xp on a 30gig hd.

Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Depending on the phone, you could put a larger SD card in it. 4GB works on Treos when formatted as FAT32. Fat32 supports up to 2 Terrabytes I believe, so future SD cards (8gb, 16gb, etc) may work on the Treos and other phones as well.

32gig and 16gig cf cards are out from Samsung and they plan to bring out 10 and 16gig sd in 2007
    If there are phones like that, let me guess, they aren't readily available for the US market?

On a happier note, I can't wait for 10GB flash players!

The Sony phone was an unlocked GSM phone and I think I saw cnet North America Rate it. The Dual cor is also device you can get here.

And 10gig flash is pretty close Sandisk announced 8gig a month and half ago and Apple this week. So we should around early January(during CES maybe?) 10 and 12gig flash from Sandisk.

Hmm walmart specs of the Zune.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5223247
    Close to what I suspected. Whenever a phone is only available in the US unlocked, it means the FCC approved it but it's not going to be in general use because the carriers won't promote it because it's too advanced for them.

What was the model number, BTW? I like the W900i, but it's only tri-band. Is that the one? Or maybe it was the 880(or something like that)?

And I remember the Dual cor now! There was a big thread on it, but it's buried by now.

No, it is not the W900I that has like 1gig at most. Is is the W950.

DAPreview link to specs of it. 4gigs FLASH of space, which I assume can be upgraded to maybe the newer 6gig of flash sandisk has and even 8gig that is out now. Hmmm
    http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2966

And that Dual Cor would have been the perfect system for me but there are a few draw backs to it. One draw back was only 30gig of space which is fine(for the most part) like on my Cowon A2. But, when you factor Windows XP, WM5 then my music and video files then 30gig isn't good enough. The other draw back is that is it only a GSM phone, and least they could have made it GSM and CDMA.
    Last edited by bloodycape77; 09/18/2006 at 01:40 AM.
    There's no Cnet review of the W950, so that may mean it will never be approved for US use.

I think I remember in the chat box a mention that it will come to the U.S. and it is a phone running Symbian based os. And just because cnet does not have a review of it doesn't mean it was not released in North America. Besides there is always ebay.
    Usually Cnet catches a lot of the popular unlocked phones though. I'm going to look on several unlocked phone sites I know of, I am wary of eBay due to scams. Maybe I'll look on eBay, maybe not.

Ok, I found a pre-order on one site, and on another they want $825. I think I'll just get the N80.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/18/2006 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Update!

Usually Cnet catches a lot of the popular unlocked phones though. I'm going to look on several unlocked phone sites I know of, I am wary of eBay due to scams. Maybe I'll look on eBay, maybe not.

Ok, I found a pre-order on one site, and on another they want $825. I think I'll just get the N80.
    I think you can really do better than that on price. But then again when you think about that price is fair, seeing as it comes with 4gig of FLASH memory, and from what I hear a very good camera, and pad functions also. It is almost the whole package. Only thing missing is wifi and I am assuming the next model may actually come with it since the new Sony forgot the model number comes with it. BTW is this phone even a touch screen? I assume it is as it is using symbian based os?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast