Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    No news of the Creative player, at least for the US. They shortchange us. There's a player I've wanted for a long time and they simply won't sell it here.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=15609

On another note, Zune "premium" earphones don't even have a gold plug. Nice case, acceptable sound with iPod(yeah I know, don't laugh). Not exactly worth what they cost. I got them for $8 off. But they really should be about $30 retail. I guess the extra $10 is for the case.

I have not tried the Zune yet. Size chicken-out again, especially after using the iPod. Steamlined and less stringent DRM Zune, please hurry!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yeah that player was announced after then Zen V was announce, but not out on the market yet, if I am not mistaken. It is only of the Asian market but, you can always get one imported I guess.
    I really wanna try out the Zune because I keep reading about how good it sounds and how the sounds is more natural compared to the iPod.
    I agree with Surur's comment early on that it will take years for the Zune or some MS device to be competitive, and that X-box is a good illustration. Apple is much too far ahead and is likely to keep improving their own players.

My own choice is the Sandisk because I too like the built-in FM, and more importantly, the expansion slot and replaceable battery. Like our phones, we all have different needs and preferences. For me, I never warmed up to the iPod wheel interface that most owners and reviewers rave about, and the Nano, while admittedly the slickest package out -along with the Cowon 3 to me, is just a little too dainty for my hands and my tastes. To each his/her own MP3 and everything else. Cheers!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    On another note, Zune "premium" earphones don't even have a gold plug. Nice case, acceptable sound with iPod(yeah I know, don't laugh). Not exactly worth what they cost. I got them for $8 off. But they really should be about $30 retail. I guess the extra $10 is for the case.
    I just got a pair of V-Moda Vibes. Not cheap, but they sound fantastic! I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that headphones/earphones is where the biggest bang for your buck is to be had.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Yeah that player was announced after then Zen V was announce, but not out on the market yet, if I am not mistaken. It is only of the Asian market but, you can always get one imported I guess.
    I really wanna try out the Zune because I keep reading about how good it sounds and how the sounds is more natural compared to the iPod.
    Why couldn't they have made compact players though? Who was the exec who authorized that, in an age where slim or small players are in? A thinner and rounded off edged player with the same cool screen might have made a difference in sales! And where's the flash player to go against the Nano?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    there is the Zen V and Zen V plus that go against the nano. They come in up to 8gigs. It is the closest to a nano competitor, unless you dont consider that a competitor. On another note rumor is a new Zune firmware that fixes some issues and some other stuff.
    What I meant was why didn't Zune release a Nano competitor? Bad decision not to. Very bad, because the new Nano is probably quite popular now that Apple decided to use aluminum bodies again!! Had MSFT released a decent flash competitor with good features including video play, there might have been some good competition! Instead Zune as of now is another "I coulda been a contender" item. Many just are not dumping the iPods and if they are, it seems Samsung and SanDisk in a better positions than Zune. Creative still doesn't seem to be there yet, at least not in the US.

MSFT should just stick to software! Didn't they have some problems with XBOX too?

What I meant was why didn't Zune release a Nano competitor? Bad decision not to. Very bad, because the new Nano is probably quite popular now that Apple decided to use aluminum bodies again!! Had MSFT released a decent flash competitor with good features including video play, there might have been some good competition! Instead Zune as of now is another "I coulda been a contender" item. Many just are not dumping the iPods and if they are, it seems Samsung and SanDisk in a better positions than Zune. Creative still doesn't seem to be there yet, at least not in the US.

MSFT should just stick to software! Didn't they have some problems with XBOX too?
    I will agree that Sandisk and Samsung are in better positions, but that is because they produce their own flash chips. However, neither has really capitalized it well. If they did we would be at 16gig of flash players now at 250 and 350 32gigs of flash space. Sandsik at one point had the advantage with a 6gig player while the rest was at 2 and 4 still.

About a Zune flash player this is what people are joking that the Zune flash player might be actually based off but with MS touches like the software and bigger screen or something. Who knows. http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3892
    Let's hope so, but if Zune doesn't hurry, it'll be Samsung and Creative flash players for me. SanDisk sound actually isn't the best. I had high quality MP3s register static on the SanDisk, none on the Nano or Creative Micro Photo. I'm thinking of just keeping the Micro Photo as a "flash" player, even though I know it isn't. I just want something small too. I already dumped the Nano due to the hard drive iPod sounding way better.

Let's hope so, but if Zune doesn't hurry, it'll be Samsung and Creative flash players for me. SanDisk sound actually isn't the best. I had high quality MP3s register static on the SanDisk, none on the Nano or Creative Micro Photo. I'm thinking of just keeping the Micro Photo as a "flash" player, even though I know it isn't. I just want something small too. I already dumped the Nano due to the hard drive iPod sounding way better.
    Really? I have been reading the other way around people/magazines saying the Nano(2G) has better sound. What gen is Nano BTW? You should also look and iRiver and Cowon if MS does not deliver.

For me right now it a tie between the Samsung K3 and the iRiver Clix2. Unless the W10 comes to the state at a good price.
    Many iPod fanboys/girls think anything iPod is good(iPod fangirl here, FYI ). No offense to anyone who loves iPod but there's a difference in sound between the hard drive and the flash! I did not have to return the hard drive, only the flash due to inconsistent build quality and sound. I tell you, when I turned on the hard drive for the first time, I was blown away at the difference between it and the Nano, because I had owned the Nano first. And the space doesn't hurt either(yeah I know, don't start )!

I forgot about the Clix, yep that's added to the list! But now maybe I'll just use the 20GB someone gave me. Decisions, decisions. Sooo many devices. Choice is good!

Yeah and they got this new dock for the clix2 that adds a speaker which looks cool. I would really love to get the iRiver W10 but if a device is going to have 3in screen with Win CE it should have at least 12gigs or more flash space not the 8 it comes with.

It seems like anytime this month or next month a new Zune firmware to fix issues should be out. I kinda of want the zune but with a Gigabeat S body and 60+ gigs.
    Many iPod fanboys/girls think anything iPod is good(iPod fangirl here, FYI ). No offense to anyone who loves iPod but there's a difference in sound between the hard drive and the flash! I did not have to return the hard drive, only the flash due to inconsistent build quality and sound. I tell you, when I turned on the hard drive for the first time, I was blown away at the difference between it and the Nano, because I had owned the Nano first.
    I must say have haven't heard the latest gen HD iPod, but I'm still pretty surprised by what you say. My second gen Nano sounds just great to me, especially paired with the V-Moda headphones. Can you say in what way the HD player sounds better to you?

FWIW, technical tests conducted by PC World Magazine rated audio quality of the 2nd gen Nano very slightly ahead of the latest gen (5.5) HD iPod:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/specs...ers/specs.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/product/specs...ers/specs.html
    I don't know what they did for the technical test, but the music sounds richer to me on the hard drive. I noticed the difference from the Nano right away.

Here's something interesting. When I used the Zune headphones in the old 20GB as compared to the 5 gen.(yeah I got one of those too ) I found the 5 gen. to be better sounding by far. Whatever they used in the 5 and 5.5, I hope they keep it!

I'm now going to sell the 20GB. And no more Apple flash players unless they start using the same sound driver(or whatever accounts for the sound difference) .

I saw 81 signal to noise ratio, that might not be so good. I think the ratio needs to be 90 or higher to get excellent sound.

Hard drive is listed as 96. They didn't list the playback signal to noise ratio for the Nano, only their test results coming out as 81. But 96 would explain the better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    The post changed to the new SE slider, LOL! Perfect topic for me though!

I downloaded the Zune ware from their site, I may still try one. Just not sure. They say a pink one is coming in May.

I don't know what they did for the technical test, but the music sounds richer to me on the hard drive. I noticed the difference from the Nano right away.
    Richness - so more bass and lower mid-range? I agree that with the Apple pack-in headphones the Nano is a bit lacking at the lower end, especially with some older recordings. Paired with either V-Moda Vibes or Sennheiser PX100s that's definitely not the case though. The V-Modas are just about perfect and the PX100s a bit too bass heavy. I really wouldn't want more low end with either of these headphones as I'd just end up having to EQ the songs, which never really seems to work too well.

Of course, there are reasons other than tonal balance for choosing a decent pair of headphones. Have you tried your Nano with anything better than Zune pack-ins? To my ears at least, headphones make by far the biggest difference.

Here's something interesting. When I used the Zune headphones in the old 20GB as compared to the 5 gen.(yeah I got one of those too ) I found the 5 gen. to be better sounding by far. Whatever they used in the 5 and 5.5, I hope they keep it!
    I think it's pretty well established that the 5 and 5.5 gen iPods have more bass than 3 and 4 gen:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...th-generation/

and if that's what you're really after you might want to try some bassier headphones too. That said, I just listened to the Amy Winehouse albums Frank and Back to Black via the nano and V-Modas. I can't imagine any human being needing more bass than that!
    Last edited by marcol; 03/29/2007 at 07:24 AM.
    I saw 81 signal to noise ratio, that might not be so good. I think the ratio needs to be 90 or higher to get excellent sound.

Hard drive is listed as 96. They didn't list the playback signal to noise ratio for the Nano, only their test results coming out as 81. But 96 would explain the better sound.
    I don't understand these numbers very well but for the S/N values that are listed for both (the values under 'Performance'), the Nano is better (81 vs 78). Like you say though, 'Playback' S/N isn't listed for the Nano.
    OK I did it. I got the Limited Edition pink Zune.
    Maybe I was unfair to the Zune in my earlier posts in the thread, it actually is enjoyable to use.

Here's my review:

1. iPod wins hands down for styling, just as I suspected. Video iPods are slim and sleek, Zune is too long and needs rounded off corners. I also wish it had better controls(IMO they're a little cheap). But Zune is more customizable. I don't think you can choose your own background photo on iPod. At least I've never seen this done.

2. Zune also has a cooler interface. iPod's is minimalist, which is still good. I just like the transitions on the Zune better. They both have some annoying qualities on their interfaces. I hate when you accidentally touch the click wheel, the iPod changes to some other option I didn't even want. This happens a lot because I don't like the Hold btton too much, I like to scroll. But no such problem on the Zune, even without the hold button. But I don't completely like the way Zune organizes everything, I'll have to get used to it. Not a deal breaker.

3. Zune is better for video viewing, no dispute. Can't beat that screen size.

4. Zune seems to have a volume limit built in already. I didn't see a volume control feature. My iPods get really loud if the limit isn't used. I can't get the Zune to go that loud, which is probably good for people who would blow their ear drums out anyway. The Zune sounds pretty good too. There is a marked sound difference between it and the iPod, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Besides the volume issue, that is.

4. The FM radio feature is great! It can draw the station info and songs playing and put them on the screen for you. No FM tuner at all on iPods, STILL.

5. One BIG drawback. Zune software is horrible at organizing music, just terrible! iTunes wins hands down on this! I have to enter so much stuff by hand on Zune software, I wish someone would invent an iTunes plug-in for the Zune! When Zune sync my iTunes library, it lost info that I had to reenter. I don't know what happened there, but it's a real PITA to make sure iTunes and Zune libraries have the same info. Then I resynced and discovered some stuff was unsynced from before, the settings for syncing are confusing, the interface could be a lot more user friendly, etc.

Sounds pretty good as a media player though. But HORRIBLE for organization! And the Marketplace crashed or wouldn't load. So I can't review that yet until I figure out what happened. I guess I need a memory upgrade. Plus when installing Zune, the software needed so many permissions from Zone Alarm, WAY more than iTunes, I wonder if MSFT has installed even more security holes than before! The software needs some serious help(of course we ARE speaking of MSFT here )!! I'm not really a MSFT hater but I can see why on quite a few of their products, people get frustrated with them! If the Zune itself didn't have good qualities, I'd return it due to the software alone!

So I give the Zune an 8 out of 10 because the body design just isn't there(yes that still matters to me somewhat), but the features are. It's software though, 1(as in CNET's abysmal). And it gets that only because I was able to at least sync to the Zune without a problem.

End of Zune review.