Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Zune fails installation and uninstallation:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/13/i...e-zune-sucked/

MSFT= possible crashes for what should be a simple installation, AGAIN. Although I do think people should wait until TODAY(it's Nov. 14 here) since the site will be official, to try and install. But people were allowed to get the Zune early, then were getting installation errors. MSFT should at least have stopped the stores from selling these early OR fixed the site early if they were going to allow stores to sell early. They should have known people were going to try an install.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There's also something that bothers me. It seems the Zune keeps track of how many computers sync with it(look carefully at the article). Does the iPod do this? I only sync on one computer. I never tried to sync on another computer yet, but will soon. You can't even move the Zune around? I sure hope the iPod isn't like this!! You buy a device, you should be able to use it on whatever computer you damn well want!

Then there's all the info they want to you to enter! WTF??? All that info just to use the Zune? How about we get an option to enter all that info only if we want to join the Zune groups or "community" as they want to call it? Looks like there's no opt out!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/14/2006 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    There's also something that bothers me. It seems the Zune keeps track of how many computers sync with it(look carefully at the article). Does the iPod do this? I only sync on one computer. I never tried to sync on another computer yet, but will soon. You can't even move the Zune around? I sure hope the iPod isn't like this!! You buy a device, you should be able to use it on whatever computer you damn well want!

Then there's all the info they want to you to enter! WTF??? All that info just to use the Zune? How about we get an option to enter all that info only if we want to join the Zune groups or "community" as they want to call it? Looks like there's no opt out!
    when i tried syncing my ipod on my sisters computer, the ipod kept on thinking that i was trying to copy that music to a new computer and i was only trying to charge it. i think we will be facing this problem no matter what unit it is because of the music.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Not on drag and drop units.

I've seen it at Best Buy. The screen and interface are good, the rest of the hardware is mediocre. Not worth $250.

comprehensive coverage of the zune.http://www.dapreview.net/news.php
    The 3 play restriction is a BIG problem! I'm tired of players that we paid money for telling us what to do with our own music! I don't like Apple's restrictions either. There's a limit on burning and computer usage. And I understand Zune will NOT take Plays For Sure(Napster, Rhapsody) and not iTunes music either. It only plays UNprotected music from other sources.

What the iPod can do that the Zune can't, take .wav files, Apple Lossless and AIFF. Neither take independent music formats like OGG and FLAC, BIG BOO!! Also iPod takes photo formats besides JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only), and PNG. Zune takes only JPEG. Zune also decided not to let Mac users in on the "deal" so that somewhat defeats their "community" player premise.

Neither are as open as Cowon though. Cowon supports open source music formats. Cowon also supports Linux users, both Apple and MSFT fail to do so. Big surprise!

Honestly, if Cowon marketed better, both Apple and Zune could be in trouble!
    If Sandisk, and Creative did the same Apple would also be trouble. But the problem is non of these companies had the market pull, marketing power and or the budget Apple and MS have in advertising their products.

But if you really think about it Apple is just sorta caught up to a player that was introduced like 4 years ago and that is the Rio Karma. The Karma was one of the first mp3 players to support gapless, and it did it with out the help of software.
    The iPod is tied to the user not necessarily the computer. So if you had music accounts on two machines, then the iPod should work fine on two machines. If you attach while in another account it give you the option of re-initializing to the new user account or doing nothing.

Microsoft however sounds like their good old DRM. They want to tie a software purchase to a specific piece of hardware. So if your computer dies or is replaced you are going to be in a heap of trouble. Beyond stupid. That's way I never bought any of their ebooks on MS reader and instead got books from peanutpress (now ereader) because they tie the licensing to your account not your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    when i tried syncing my ipod on my sisters computer, the ipod kept on thinking that i was trying to copy that music to a new computer and i was only trying to charge it. i think we will be facing this problem no matter what unit it is because of the music.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Is it my imagination or does the hard drive iPod have stronger sound that the Nano? I hardly used the hard drive one, took it out today and I had to set the volume limit almost immediately!

i played with the Zune last week when we released them at Best Buy, they are nice, a bit big tho
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I didn't like the design either, only the screen. I'm going down with pair of earphones to test the sound. But after using my iPod, I just don't feel it's worth switching for me. Maybe if they get out a small flash player.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    SNIP
    That only works for the first one or two players that enter the market. That's why there is only one ebay; and the same reason why google talk will never success.
    Actually that's iPod's biggest strength. The stranglehold on car accessories. I don't care about cases and other crap. Oh by the way. I brought a iPod (shuffle) again after I sold my 3G iPod for two year. The reason is it's the only one you can find a good and cheap water proof case of.
    SNIP
    By the way, use Palm as an failure example is not so good. Unless you mean PalmOS, which is officially discontinued.
    Not to be a nay-sayer but you're wrong on two counts....

First, there are 2 ebay's, one is called craig's list and is doing quite well.

Second, if PalmOS is officially discontinued then why is there a Treo 700P (P is for Palm)?
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly View Post
    i played with the Zune last week when we released them at Best Buy, they are nice, a bit big tho
    I think there are some things that can be too small. Cellular phones are one item and video players are another. I like the concept of the Video iPod and the Zune but IF (and it's a big IF) I spend my money on one of them it will be for the larger Zune screen. Us old guys have bad eyes and we like BIG stuff.
    I bought one . Great Screen !!
    This thing sounds way better than ipod , that 's the reason i am going to keep it for now.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyshootist View Post
    Not to be a nay-sayer but you're wrong on two counts....

First, there are 2 ebay's, one is called craig's list and is doing quite well.
    1. Do you have any number to back you up?

2. eBay brought Craigslist, LOL.

Second, if PalmOS is officially discontinued then why is there a Treo 700P (P is for Palm)?
    That has been discussed in many many many threads over and over. If you want to talk about it, we can do it in a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyshootist View Post
    I think there are some things that can be too small. Cellular phones are one item and video players are another. I like the concept of the Video iPod and the Zune but IF (and it's a big IF) I spend my money on one of them it will be for the larger Zune screen. Us old guys have bad eyes and we like BIG stuff.
    You may want to check out PSP since it has a much better/bigger screen than Zune.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    It doesnt really come down to impressed or not. Its simply when the buying public are in stores this christmas, and see the Zune and Ipod next to each other, which one will the chose. Most will still chose the Ipod, but I bet a good 15-20% who were going to chose and Ipod will not chose a Zune.
    Still too early to tell for sure but your 15-20% looks pretty optimistic at this point. According to this:

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/6002/zune-sales.html

the Zune debuted at number 8 in the Amazon list of top-selling products. A week later the top-selling Zune (the black one) has fallen out of the top 25 (currently it's 42nd). The 30 GB iPod is number one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual View Post
    I bought one . Great Screen !!
    This thing sounds way better than ipod , that 's the reason i am going to keep it for now.
    You like cool gadgets so if you bought one, they must be cool !

Is the sound like a Creative? I use Shure earphones and I guess they can make anything sound better, but the iPod sounded fine to me. Although Creative is still better than iPod. Creative sounded superior even through cheaper earphones. I guess I'd better test the iPod with cheaper earphones.

I also like the Zune's screen, best thing on it! But I was also impressed with the hard drive iPod's screen. I have used Nanos too long, LOL! Bigger screens rule!

Has anyone bought the Zune Premium earphones? I bet they can be used on more than the Zune if they have a standard size plug.

Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Still too early to tell for sure but your 15-20% looks pretty optimistic at this point. According to this:

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/6002/zune-sales.html

the Zune debuted at number 8 in the Amazon list of top-selling products. A week later the top-selling Zune (the black one) has fallen out of the top 25 (currently it's 42nd). The 30 GB iPod is number one.
    The mistake Zune made, imitating the Apple structure. Pushing the cool angle and closed music system. They just look unoriginal.

What they should have done, imitate the Archos and Cowon structure and heavily market that as new freedom for music lovers. But then MSFT doesn't support open source in anything else of theirs, so I guess that's too much to ask. And why they refused to allow the Zune to be drag and drop is beyond me! Then you cannot use WMP11 to add music, and you can't use Plays for Sure music. More bad moves!

Let's see what the next model looks like.

What they should have done, imitate the Archos and Cowon structure and heavily market that as new freedom for music lovers. But then MSFT doesn't support open source in anything else of theirs, so I guess that's too much to ask. And why they refused to allow the Zune to be drag and drop is beyond me! Then you cannot use WMP11 to add music, and you can't use Plays for Sure music. More bad moves!
    The PlaysForSure DRM incompatibility is just crazy! One DRM standard from a company is bad enough, but two... that just defies belief. You're supposed to buy it all again to play on the Zune? You're supposed to trust an organisation that's left users high and dry once not to do it again? I'm still completely at a loss to understand why they've done this. Here's some appalling squirming on the subject from a Microsoft VP:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/t...te-vice-presi/

Any the wiser after reading that?

Let's see what the next model looks like.
    I'm no fan of market dominance and I think a real challenge to the iPod would be good for all concerned (including future iPod users). The Zune UI looks quite nice, but the hardware clearly needs some work. Hopefully they'll slim it down a bit (it's 60% bigger than the equivalent iPod) and work on the styling too (as Mossberg pointed out it looks more like a prototype than a finished device). Something i think that could really work for them is to give it superb sound quality. Apple have done this with the Shuffle but none of the other iPods (something to do with capacitors according to a tech bod on the latest TWiT podcast). Having a music player that sounds better than the competition surely isn't such a bad idea!

Or perhaps they should just give up on the dedicated music player altogether and go straight to the music phone? Leverage their WM expertise, and hit what everyone seems to think (me included) will be the next big thing?

Whatever, NO MORE INCOMPATIBLE DRM STANDARDS!! I'd like to see Microsoft commit to that. In writing.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Having a music player that sounds better than the competition surely isn't such a bad idea!
    Isn't that the niche that CoWon's iAudio players are meant to fill?