Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How about a quick informal poll? Let's say you need a hard drive player.

On Nov. 14, which would would you feel better buying?

The 30GB iPod or the 30GB Zune?

As of now, I still say 30GB iPod. But we have another month and a half.

And that CBS video simply refuses to download. I guess I'll be waiting for Cnet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    worked fine in opera and firefox on my mac. odd
    My anti-everything software must be blocking it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Zune hate here. Looks like an iPod fan site. Although I'm not happy about Zune not supporting Plays for Sure either!

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...974628809.html

He's a bit defensive, isn't he, for a product he is so sure if going to bomb.

Surur
    Yeah, he is...
    If his word is to be taken as fact, the Zune will have some features unavailable at the time of launch, but i suspect that alot of its features will be enhanced shortly after launch. The fact that the Zune is wireless will give M$ the power to "unlock" and add features via software updates. I think the Zune will be a good first generation product. But it probably wont give the ipod troubles until the second generation or so.
    I still want Plays for Sure support. I don't want to use the Zune store and subscription for everything. This device is useless to me if I have to do that!

Just about 2 weeks until the Zune release! I may look at the white one, but I still am not sure I can handle the restrictions MSFT put on it. I think I'm going to look at the Zune store first to see if they even have the music I want.

I did get the 30GB iPod because I wanted to load some video for a trip. Maybe I'll see which is better for me.

Where did everyone on this thread go? LOL!

I downloaded the Zune theme for XP. Looks like a modified Vista theme.

The official Zune site is up.

http://www.zune.net/en-US/

I think we can only hope MS is planning to free the device up as time goes on. Everything we want is certainly possible (on device purchase, USB mass mode, USB host, easy sharing of files) and competition form Apple may make them loosen up a bit.

Surur
    According to the specs, English might be the only language. Bad if they want worldwide distribution IMO. Apple has sense enough to include multiple languages.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

Im starting to like that thing more and more. I'll at least purchase one and run it through its courses, once they make one 80 gigs or more. You should check out Endgadget's end depth interface walkthrough at http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/03/z...through-video/
    80 GB? You might be waiting until next year. But I'd wait for the 2nd gen. too. Let them get the bugs out.

Thanks for the link, BTW!!

Ok, I watched the video and I still don't like the 3 play restriction if it applies to music not bought from the Zune store. They need to dump restrictions on music that isn't bought from their store.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/05/2006 at 01:17 PM.

80 GB? You might be waiting until next year. But I'd wait for the 2nd gen. too. Let them get the bugs out.

Thanks for the link, BTW!!

Ok, I watched the video and I still don't like the 3 play restriction if it applies to music not bought from the Zune store. They need to dump restrictions on music that isn't bought from their store.
    Not a problem.

I agreee, I think it will be around March when they release an 80gig Zune.
    You might not need to wait till v2 for the bugs to get stomped since they can send updates to the device (at least in theory) via the wireless.

FYI: The Zune will play music bought from ANY store. It will play MP3, AAC and WMA files.
    The 3 play restriction is only for music that you get from a wireless share from another Zune. Thats not a negative at all for me.

In short, there is nothing that the Ipod can do that the Zune cannot (or at least that i know of).
    Last edited by lyndon_h; 11/06/2006 at 11:24 AM.
    The 3 play restriction is a BIG problem! I'm tired of players that we paid money for telling us what to do with our own music! I don't like Apple's restrictions either. There's a limit on burning and computer usage. And I understand Zune will NOT take Plays For Sure(Napster, Rhapsody) and not iTunes music either. It only plays UNprotected music from other sources.

What the iPod can do that the Zune can't, take .wav files, Apple Lossless and AIFF. Neither take independent music formats like OGG and FLAC, BIG BOO!! Also iPod takes photo formats besides JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only), and PNG. Zune takes only JPEG. Zune also decided not to let Mac users in on the "deal" so that somewhat defeats their "community" player premise.

Neither are as open as Cowon though. Cowon supports open source music formats. Cowon also supports Linux users, both Apple and MSFT fail to do so. Big surprise!

Honestly, if Cowon marketed better, both Apple and Zune could be in trouble!

The 3 play restriction is a BIG problem! I'm tired of players that we paid money for telling us what to do with our own music! I don't like Apple's restrictions either. There's a limit on burning and computer usage. And I understand Zune will NOT take Plays For Sure(Napster, Rhapsody) and not iTunes music either. It only plays UNprotected music from other sources.

What the iPod can do that the Zune can't, take .wav files, Apple Lossless and AIFF. Neither take independent music formats like OGG and FLAC, BIG BOO!! Also iPod takes photo formats besides JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only), and PNG. Zune takes only JPEG. Zune also decided not to let Mac users in on the "deal" so that somewhat defeats their "community" player premise.

Neither are as open as Cowon though. Cowon supports open source music formats. Cowon also supports Linux users, both Apple and MSFT fail to do so. Big surprise!

Honestly, if Cowon marketed better, both Apple and Zune could be in trouble!
    Good post.
    The 3 play restriction is not for your music. Its music that someone has shared wireless to you. This is to keep the RIAA off their back. Their hands are tied on this. If you want around this, just copy the files from one Zune to another by using it as a portable HD on a computer.

I personally am not interested in keeping BMP, GIF, PSD (Mac only), or PNGs on my PAP, but TIFF would be nice (eventhough my digicam doesnt support it). I imagine Mac users will be able to use a 3rd party product that will enable syncing much like Missing Link does for Treos. But i do get your point.

I consider myself to be pretty "well connected" but i've not heard of Cowon before this thread. You speak very highly of the product.
  18.    #198  
    Actually the new iTunes 7 support ogg now (yeah I couldn't believe it either.) As well as capless playback. I guess they run out of feature to add on it.
    So will that apply to the iPod too? Firmware update? If so, Zune is one step behind Apple at this point.

oh yeah, and we can add gapless playback to what iPod can do. Zune never mentioned this.

i saw the zune tonight. the screen is awesome!!! my ipod screen looks like sh$t compared to it!
    also, i read in the manual that we will be able to move our itunes songs over. also, on another board some people were saying that we would be able to use the itunes interface with the zune.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.