Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I said this before in a different way but do you think the VZW version is still going to be that ugly one leaked a while back or is it going to look more like the Telus and Sprint version?
  2.    #102  
    This looks like it will be it....but cosmetics have changed between last test models and launch time before
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    mind you it has happened before (treo 700w on verizon and 700wx on sprint) but most of these phones hardware's inside are identical. the fcc manual states the only difference is "cosmetic", but those of you that can remember the verizon slide a while back first showing the 6800 to the world - it did say 128mb ram (as opposed to 64 mb present on telus). I can't remember if it also said wm6 or aku 3.3 (i think it said aku 3.3) but my guess is that slide was incorrect specs in regards to the ram. that being said, I'm going to guess its going to look different than sprints version.
    will this device or the SMT-5800 come with built in gps nav or no?
  5.    #105  
    The word is that the 6800 will not have it. I don't know about the 5800
    The 720 is the smartphone with the slide-out thumbboard, right? What's the latest word on that for Sprint? Any time soon?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well rumor is late 2q early 3q for VZW and should be coming to Telus either this or next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    will this device or the SMT-5800 come with built in gps nav or no?
    I don't think either is going to have it. From what I've read, GPS is going to be included in their next generation platforms Kaiser and Wings (S730). Unfortunately, they're both GSM.

I've been fixated with the Vox form factor for awhile, but I'm starting to give a harder look at the 6800. I hadn't given it much thought because I thought the 6800 Titan was basically a CDMA version of the 8525. I had it confused it with the 4500 TyTN (aka HTC Hermes, aka the Cingular 8525).

It's thinner and lighter than the 8525 and it's not that much bigger than the Vox. You give up your dialpad for a larger touchscreen, WM6 Pro, and a roomier keyboard.
    Sprint 6800 release delayed until October?

According to various reports, Sprint has delayed the release of the PPC-6800 from its previously planned launch later this month. The delay may extend all the way to October, in order to launch with EVDO Rev. A access and Windows Mobile 6 instead of launching with what would have been an incremental software and hardware upgrade with Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 3.3 and EVDO Rel. 0 access.

Sprint's internal rational is likely due to the lack of a built-in updating system for Firmware Over-The-Air. While Windows Mobile 6 includes Windows Update, such support is minimal, and can only update select Windows files. Microsoft has no plans to add Firmware Over-The-Air to Windows Mobile in the near future.

This is a marked departure from the data sheet we reported on last month which mentioned firmware and software upgrades through updates which was standard procedure, until now.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2082/1/
  10.    #110  
    I didn't post the information about the Oct delay rumor because that is all it is at the moment...a rumor. The story is based on a posts from the forum at SprintUsers.com. There are reports all over all the forums quoting sprint sales reps confirming the Oct release date, confirming the May 14th release date, and confirming a June-ish release date.

Next Monday will tell us if the May 14th one is correct or not. And time will tell us about the others....unless of course Sprint makes an official announcement, which historically is not very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    I didn't post the information about the Oct delay rumor because that is all it is at the moment...a rumor. The story is based on a posts from the forum at SprintUsers.com. There are reports all over all the forums quoting sprint sales reps confirming the Oct release date, confirming the May 14th release date, and confirming a June-ish release date.

Next Monday will tell us if the May 14th one is correct or not. And time will tell us about the others....unless of course Sprint makes an official announcement, which historically is not very likely.
    I was wondering about that because I saw your handle on one of the threads that was talking about it.
  12.    #112  
    Boe at The Buzz has found some secret meeting minutes that review the real reason for Sprint's current (lack of) line up of PDA phones that don't have VGA screens, GPS, more memory that currently already availabe in older models than are being offered in the Future for Sprint:

Mo - gul (noun) Pronunciation[moh-guhl, -guhl, moh-guhl]

1. any of the Mongol conquerors of India who established an empire that lasted from 1526 to 1857, but held only nominal power after 1803. Compare Great Mogul.
    2. any of their descendants.
    3. (lowercase) an important, powerful, or influential person: a mogul of the movie industry.
    4. a Mongol or Mongolian.
    5. Railroads. a steam locomotive having a two-wheeled front truck, six driving wheels, and no rear truck.
    6. a bump or mound of hard snow on a ski slope.
    Which of these definitions is supposed to apply to this device?

They've updated that renaming story with the news/rumor about the October delay.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sp...ed_rename.html
  14.    #115  
    Yup....it's been buzzing around the forums since yesterday I think. Again, it is all just mashing up all the info and I feel just adding an extra layer of frustration for those customers wanting to just upgrade or even buy their first PDA phone. I feel it is nothing more than a media stunt in an attempt to buy them more time with the how bad they have mucked up this launch so far...........from an optimistic point of view of course!

Have you noticed that the http://rsvpmissionpossible.com/ is now offline!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/10/2007 at 07:52 PM.
    I know what you mean the VZW version was rumored to come out in early April and yeah nothing there. It too bad that Telus is the only company that has it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Which of these definitions is supposed to apply to this device?
    6. a bump or mound
    How's that?
    any new word on the Samsung i760? My treo is crapping out and falling apart so would like to upgrade some how to a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    any new word on the Samsung i760? My treo is crapping out and falling apart so would like to upgrade some how to a new phone.

Rumor mill is June - August but take that with a grain of salt. I'd guess it will launch sometime around there since I believe the original specs from Verizon had the phone shipping with WM6 where the 6800 was WM5. Its better they held it back, I know some people don't mind pissing away money on incremental upgrades but its better to wait the extra few months and get a better phone with WM6 and Rev A out the door. Saves on all the bull**** posts when the newer version hit shelves and people get screwed out of the upgrade.
    well I dont care for rev a and such since will be come with wifi, but wm6 would a nice update for me. And to me Wifi, number pad and WM6 is good upgrade to my busted Treo. Yeah I keep seeing rumors of the 6800 being released on Verizon in May or early June, but with no word or the OS, but the thing is their version of the phone looks different when compared to the Sprint and Telus version.