Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    Thanks for clearing up the GPS question, Stroths.

If this unit is as sluggish as T-Mobile's Wing, then I will pass for sure.

I tried one in a store and it felt like molasses compared to the Palm. That is after a hard reset in the store to test it with default settings.

Does anyone know when this will be available in stores to test?
    _________
    Edit below
    _________
    Just watched the video. It looks about the same as the wing in terms of switching from landscape to portrait. But, this is only a video comparing to my real experience on the Wing in the store.

Even though the Mogul has a dual core processor (far better than the TMo Wing's 200 MHz) - I think that the dual core may be required for use on CDMA vs. GSM. So, there is no perceived improvement in terms of performance when switching screens or changing orientation. I know this isn't a good test (comparing an online video to my in-store experience), but I can tell by the lag in the video that it would bug me.
    The Mogul is a completely different device than the Wing. Honestly, except for the form factor and OS, so they're so different specs wise. I can't imagine that the Mogul won't be considerably faster.
    My understanding for dual core is, once core is for the phone it self while the other core is for the pda entertainment side.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    just wanted to post a message about the "sluggish"ness of the switching between landscapes..
    anyone who knows anything about wm5 or wm6 knows that to take advantage of, sometimes someone needs to edit the registry to enable, or customize, certain features.
    for instance, on my 6700(sprint), I'm running AKU 3.3 - quite faster than sprints released 2.2AKU. I've edited the cache memory (which improves switching between landscape and portrait) and disabled animating menus (so when I press the start button the menu comes up immediately)

now most people I suppose don't mind waiting half a second for the start menu, or 2-3 seconds for switching (mine is almost immediate) or else - don't want to risk editing the registry.

that is fine

but keep in mind, treo users (mind you I was one for a few years long live verichat!) some of the "hacks" or "edits" made to the treo are very similar in nature to what someone would do for wm5 or wm6 - with the exception that the hacks are usually programs that essentially *edit the registry for you*

so I don't want to harp about the slowness of the device, or what it appears to be... but everyone who complained to me about their 6700 or how complicated it was - all I had to do was to show them mine and they'd say, "how'd you do that?" or "why is yours so fast?".

all it takes is some time and patience, and these devices are *VERY* customizable.

ps I watched the youtube video from the other thread right on my 6700! no slowdowns or anything! downloaded the video directly to my handheld and played it on tcpmp! gota love it!
  4.    #184  
    Both bloodycape77 and sledgie said exactly what I was going to say!!! The split between process for the phone and the PDA can only improve performance.

And I have had the very same experience as sledgie with my 6600 as well. A little fine tuning and you should be able to get the Mogul to run to anyone's reasonable expectations.

I am ordering mine today.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Okay, Hobbes, Bloodycape77 and Sledgie....

you guys are killin' me!!!!

Here I sit with new 755 in hand. It is 1 week old. I just move to Sprint and... well, I am really wrestling with the Mogul idea.

I just cannot imagine not having 1 handed use or putting up with lag from swapping orientations.

I gotta find someone local who knows this thing inside and out like I know the POS and see these hacks / tweaks in action. Or, if you can tell me where to find find the registry hacks to improve memory and change the speed of orientation, I will go to the store and test.

I want to get over my concerns about speed, 1 handed, and optimization. I just don't have anyone around my geography that I know who has one for me to play around with. Dang!!!
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 06/19/2007 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ok, I'm judging this purely on speculation but...

one handed ness - you type a lot? emails? txt messages? really fond of the layout on the treo? stick with it if you are.

like PalmOS? Despise Microsoft? stick with palm.

its very customizable device but - not for everyone. Heck, Hobbes didn't get a 6700 -despite the huge increase in speed over 1xrtt- due to the diminished screen size from 3.5" to 2.8". I waited a year before taking the leap for the same reason, but eventually found the speed was so lacking for applications I used most (vnc, remote desktop, not to mention no data interrupt while using 1xrtt and a call goes straight to voicemail) tha I finally took the plunge.

but mostly, I also wanted compatibility with WMV and streaming applications, and multi tasking functons.
    that being said, I went a little of topic but I did want to say, if you absolutely LOVE the treo footprint or Q or blackberry, you probably won't like the 6800 .. unless you barely type
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie View Post
    that being said, I went a little of topic but I did want to say, if you absolutely LOVE the treo footprint or Q or blackberry, you probably won't like the 6800 .. unless you barely type
    Did you mean to say "unless you type a lot"? IMO, it all depends on *what* kinds of things you're typing. If you're typing a few letters (looking up contacts, etc.) but doing it often, the always-exposed keyboard of something like the Treo is great. But if you're typing lengthier amounts of text (like a non-abbreviated email message or posting to a forum), a larger, roomier thumbboard is nice.

That said, I don't think that the 6700/Mogul's keyboards were "great". I'd prefer more spacing between the keys, etc. I would have preferred that they modeled the keys after the position/size/feel of the Sidekick or *original* Blackberry (the one that looked like a pager). Those were/are among the best.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Great comments, Sledgie.

I think you summed up my use quite well. I don't type long emails - but short ones and I also text allot.

I use the keyboard to lookup contacts constantly.

I am staring down at the 755 and thinking wow, if they would have mapped all these buttons to the side, and moved the earpiece up, (along with thinning it down and adding RevA) ...

Still, I am going to have to go look at one to satisfy my curiosity. I should print out your comments and take them with me, heh.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yep, I meant "unless you type a lot"
    I got interrupted by a call mid sentence, heh.

yes, I liked the blackberry 950, I think? I liked it too, but I've become used to this 6700. I liked the treo 600 keyboard as well, but..hard keys hurt my thumbs... now back on topic, sorry!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    lol! no wait, I remember now! I did mean, *unless you barely type* since he seemed to like the treo layout (keyboard on front) and was hesitant about opening keyboard/switching/delay in typing. I've known some particular types in my day that find it somewhat "troublesome" to turn the device sideways, slide it open, and type. still, take it for a test drive if its appealing. it might be eye candy, u might hate it, it might not be for you.
    If you watch the cnet video of the Mogul it the rotation looked fairly fast(like 1.5-2seconds at most).
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie View Post
    ok, I'm judging this purely on speculation but...

one handed ness - you type a lot? emails? txt messages? really fond of the layout on the treo? stick with it if you are.
    Heck, Hobbes didn't get a 6700 -despite the huge increase in speed over 1xrtt- due to the diminished screen size from 3.5" to 2.8".
    but mostly, I also wanted compatibility with WMV and streaming applications, and multi tasking functons.
    so you think it's all about typing....or better said, the 6800 isn't for those who type frequently..am i close? important for many...
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well, what I said can be taken both ways. heck, I use the 6700 to type quite a lot! I don't mine the switch... and I don't mind it being not totally one handed... but.. I never used the treos "completely" one handed... I was a big vnc fan, huge verichat user, and I txted to all infinity with the unlimited txt message plan I had...

so for me, one handed isn't the end all for my decision. that's why I said, its sorta dependant on how the person feels to his/her current platform and device. if you love the layout of treos, blackberries, Qs, blackjacks, etc... u might not like the larger screen at the cost of a sliding keyboard...

and if u abslutely hate microsoft, and love palmos, well then, this device isn't for you

but I'm hesitant when I say that because back in the day there was a palmos emulator for wm2003se, which ran a good amount of pos programs... and I can't think of a lot of things, if any, that one can do on a treo that I can't do on my 6700. I think I can do more, even, but that's up for debate.
    so just to sum it up,
    current information tells us it won't be in stores until July 18th.

its a really powerful device, but might not be powerful enough for some. the battery would not suffice for me, I go through a 3200 a day easily, but then again this is currently my main form of communication and internet exchange.
    I'd suggest those that are interested, give it a shot, try the keyboard, look on some other forums (hobbes or mal or pibe or myself can suggest one in particular that has a lot of wm5/wm6 ppc support) and see what's available and what's possible with the 6800
    but beware, if u do check it out in a store you won't be able to make "registry" edits and I can almost guarantee it will be running slower than what is possible. but if u like the feel of the device and it suits ur needs (and make sure u have a return policy just in case) get one. and don't forget the insurance TEP is wonderful
    Wait, so the only way to get a Mogul is to order it through Sprint? Would Sprint corporate stores have this phone? Man, I wanted to pick one up today.
    I believe July 15th is the official hard launch. The only way to get one currently is through telesales. They are pretty fast and can usually get it to you the next day.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    An LG slider phone that kinda of look like the HTC Vox to come to Sprint? http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...ing-to-sprint/

Looks interesting and nice.
    Too bad that LG slider is not a smart phone. The Vox would be a better choice unless you just want a basic phone with a full qwerty keyboard.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Too bad that LG slider is not a smart phone. The Vox would be a better choice unless you just want a basic phone with a full qwerty keyboard.

Hi.. I have been reading this thread for updates for awhile. My current phone is not going to last me much longer and I have been really interested in the Libra/ S720.

Is there any confirmation / expectedness that Sprint will get the S720. And is there an expected time frame / date?

I have not heard much about it lately except for it being released on Telus.

Thanks
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910