Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here are specs:

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/cmastaticf...wFactSheet.pdf

Don't know a specific release date, but I have heard it rumored in Oct.

I am going to buy a new phone....it is between this and the 700wx
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/12/2006 at 10:26 PM.
    What a device!!!! The missing camera will hurt for my needs (I actually use the Treo cameras-a lot!!!) But a 240x320 screen with GSM and CDMA support? If it doesn't feel too big in the store, I'll give it a try.

I feel many of the 6700's shortcomings were due to the hidden landscape keyboard. Now this thing has a vertical keyboard. Worth a try if the size is right.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I was thinking about holding out for this device, as I'd love to have the World phone capabilities with Sprint while on vacations in Europe. I think I made the right choice though going with the Treo though, the less things that slide, the less risk it will break. Plus I love the Treo's dialing options, speed dial, etc. Looks like a cool phone though, I played with one at a Verizon store a while back
    DJ

"How about I take it to the next level"
    Gokuruth, does this piggy have 64MB RAM? The leaked Sprint sheet says 64MB PDA/32MB Phone.
    Also, does this phone do any 2/3G GSM or is it GPRS only?
    The Mullet of cell phones. GSM/GPRS for biz on the road, CDMA/EVDO broadband party back home.

Worth thinking about since I only need GSM 4-5 times/year and it would beat carrying two devices. Just wish it had EDGE/UMTS so the biz wouldn't be so slow. 'Course if the 750v is available on Cingular sometime soon, I'd jump off Sprint and do that.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokuruth View Post
    I was thinking about holding out for this device, as I'd love to have the World phone capabilities with Sprint while on vacations in Europe. I think I made the right choice though going with the Treo though, the less things that slide, the less risk it will break. Plus I love the Treo's dialing options, speed dial, etc. Looks like a cool phone though, I played with one at a Verizon store a while back
    I currently have the PPC-6600 with the similar vertical sliding keyboard form factor that I left my Treo for 2 years ago and still love it!

I love the form factor of the Treo, but the extra screen real estate is a major factor for me as I use GPS, remote control my work computer, spreadsheets, etc.. quite a bit.

Not having a camera....hmmm...not a major issue. I use it once in a great while with work. But there are times when I really appreciate having it personally when there is nothing else to snap a quick shot of my son doing something funny, a pretty scenic view, etc...
    Pics of the son and the scenic view are the reasons a camera - even of Treo-caliber quality- is a must. I have 100s of pics and videos of my now 1.5-yr old reaching milestones. Those moments generally don't wait for me to find the Canon, start it up and click. But this 830 is a compelling phone otherwise.
  9.    #9  
    I know this is what makes it so hard....there is always that ONE missing feature that otherwise would make a perfect phone.

Wifi for sprint users is now, as of 2 months ago, becoming a less of an issue with data while roaming.

The Treo's for me, as mentioned above is the small square screen.

With this it is the no camera.

If either had their missing feature, then no question....

I need to email Sprint and make sure that they consult with me first before their next phone is released!
  10.    #10  
    So....does this device have only 32 mb of user RAM?
    Did verizon release the same thing a while back? I know they had one with wifi forgot the model number but then supposedly this was suppose to come out as like an update forgoing wifi for gprs and adding wm5 with out a hack.
  12.    #12  
    It looks like it may be available Oct 1st for listed price of $749. Rententions may be getting a call from me on Oct 2nd.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112104
    Hobbes, with all due respect to you and any/all 6600 users, the form factor of that device is a joke. it's a brick, and almost literally. it offers horrible battery time out of the box. you must carry yours on your waist because in pocket was almost impossible. and the slideout keyboard making it almost twice as long in hand? there are better substitutes out there, aren't there? yes, i had one (6600) so i feel like i can comment on it. what a hunk of (whatever you want to insert).

i remember my experience with the i730: i have small fingers and still couldn't use the touchscreen. that and the ball-like bulkiness in pocket (deeper than treo) was no fun either.

enjoy whichever you choose! i'm still playing around with the 700wx, the only thing that kills the deal for me is the add'l weight and the poor Sprint coverage in my area.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/13/2006 at 07:03 AM.
  14.    #14  
    I know, we have discussed this several times over. The great thing about the market we have today is the choice of phones to meet everyone's personal needs.

Obviously from our conversations in the past, my personal needs are vastly different than yours, hence the bigger screen is an advantage for me over the any overall size concerns with the sliding keyboard being a perfect solution to provide a larger screen real estate while still offering a full QWERTY keyboard. For most people it is the other way around with the over size being the number one concern and dont have to worry about reading spreadsheets on a 240x240 square screen. That is why the 6600 has been the perfect solution for me for the past 2 years (with the exception of the Sprint not fufilling it's promise to enable the EVDO radio!).

The i830 does offer a smaller screen to reduce the over size while still meeting my needs better screen wise than the 700wx.

Whenever looking to buy a phone, if you are aware of the pros and cons and the pros do what you need to do and you can live with or work around the cons, then you found the perfect phone! As I always say.....there is never a perfect phone that will fit everyone's needs. But there is a perfect for each individual's needs.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    So....does this device have only 32 mb of user RAM?
    this is my exact concern. The ppc-6700 was quite slow to me in its normal state. the treo 700wx is offering a much snappier response for my needs right now... October can't come fast enough.... Just under the 30 day return policy.... hehehe
    Hobbes: why wouldn't you use a very "small phone" coupled with some type of laptop? I'm not certain how anyone successfully uses a pda to view/work in spreadsheets (mine i couldn't even contemplate doing so) or any office program with perhaps the exception of Word. Wouldn't your traveling work experience be much better with a tool that is desined specifically for out of office work? Let me guess, the type of out of office work you do can actually get done, successfully, using the 6600 or equivalent devices. If so, more power to you!
  17.    #17  
    Okay....I will take to the time to justify my personal needs.

You imply that I would rather use my 2 inch screen to view and edit a spreadsheet, pull up stats, browse to a webpage, etc.... I obviously would rather use my laptop whenever I possibly can. But there are several situations that my professional needs require the benefit of a larger screen because it is NOT always practical (or even a possibility) to always use a laptop.
    • I am on the road in a car and need to view my up-to-the-minute stats, so I log in and remote control my computer at work to look them up. Landscape mode is a real benefit here. And I then need to compare that to the spreadsheet that was just emailed to me 4 minutes ago so I can advise the VP of how to proceed in his meeting that starts in less than 12 minutes.
    • I am in the field and a brand new updated spreadsheet is emailed to me. Laptop not even an option to get the data until after I get back to the hotel room or office which may be too late to act on the data.
    • I have to often times work within retail locations. It would prove to be very challenging to carry around a laptop along the aisles while working with product and the store management just to check / modify spreadsheet data.
    • I am in a meeting and need some stats fast, but do not want to draw special attention with accessing my laptop or flipping through pages of spreadsheets. Especially if some of the information has just been emailed to me.
    • I use GPS A LOT and the bigger screen is luxurious advantage.
    • I am in an over crowded plane in the middle seat with two large people on either side where I cannot think of using my laptop but need to review info
    • Just because I want to
    And since I have successfully done each the above for the past 2 YEARS, then yes you guessed right, my out of office needs can
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    "actually get done, successfully, using the 6600 or equivalent devices".
    I do not count this as a tribute to my infinite handheld wizardry genius, but rather to the feature set of my phone....the PPC-6600....and the software currently available to make all it happen.

Now, can each of these can be done on the a smaller square 240x240 screen? Certainly, or else I would not seriously be considering the 700wx. Is a larger screen an benefit? Certainly or else I would not be considering the i830w. Do each of them have their drawbacks as well when bullet pointing my personal and professional needs and/or wants? Certainly. It is all part of researching and evaluating ones needs with the specs and feature set of available phones at the time of purchase and making the best decision for me.

And as I have stated over and over again......just because the 6600 suited my needs nearly perfectly, it is not the perfect phone for everyone. And just because the Treo suites another person's needs perfectly does not make that the perfect phone for everyone. The perfect phone is totally based on that individuals needs / wants.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/19/2006 at 04:38 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    this is my exact concern. The ppc-6700 was quite slow to me in its normal state. the treo 700wx is offering a much snappier response for my needs right now... October can't come fast enough.... Just under the 30 day return policy.... hehehe
    The way they state their stats is explained in the 700wx vs i830 thread.
    justification wasn't necessary but it was interesting reading nonetheless.

i'd want the lightest, most powerful, easy to carry device (with ample screen real-estate) if i had your needs. in my opinion, all screen sizes on any of the available ppc/treo/blackberry devices, are small. does one offer a big % difference over the next? sure, but that's because we're dealing with very small denominators to begin with. again, just an opinion.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hobbes,

After using my WX for the past week, I am sure I am going with the IP-830W.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast