1.    #1  
    Anyone have any hands on experience with either of the two linux powered PDA's? Or any of the converted compaq handhelds? http://www.gmate.co.kr/english/main-frame.htm is a link to the one I see as having the most promice personally.
    ----------------------------------
    The difficult we do as a matter of routine. The impossible takes only slightly longer.
    lnoldan@indy.com
    Ooohhh... Digital camera built in.

Me like that

BEN
    I don't think linux will make in in this form while it's in PDAs, one thing that it lacks as far as I know is that it doen'st intagrate very well with outlook or other PIMs; and untill either that happens, or handhelds get to the point where they can truely replace desktops 98% of the time; then it will fail, despit how much I want it to work.

Originally posted by BEN
    Ooohhh... Digital camera built in.

Me like that

BEN
    what's the res.? I bet it is horrible

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    I think that linux as a kernal is great. but the problem lies in the interface. GNOME or KDE doesn't work well on a small screen. You have to deleop a good interface (Like Megalauncher II) and put that over the shell. BUT If I put linux on a handheld.. I WANT BASH! So You need an option to run command line programs.. LIKE DNETC! on a iPaq! yeah!
    so..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I think one thing that the linux pdas have is (at least the ipaq that i've looked at) that the interface is compleatly XML compatible and all of the programs are java.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    XML- cool
    Java- semi.. It's nice that the progs will run on any platform, but JAVE is slow.. and oyu have to have a good runtime for it to work well
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Java's speed it my bigest problem with the langauge, and since the linux pda's have fast-ish processors, (faster than palms) I think that the speed will be bareable.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

8.    #8  
    Forget it's intigration or lack of intigration with popular PIM's That's not what a Linux PDA is for IMHO.... I'll own a Yopy and a handspring. Handspring for my to do list, phone list schedule, etc. Yopy for network diagnostics, Superior network connectivity, and other IT/s type things. Think about it. A Killer kernel, a Custom Interface (NOT kde or gnome, but something made FOR the YOPY) tons of support from the linux community. Not to mention the stats of the YOPY itself simply SMOKE any pc more then 4 years old. That's a frighting though if you think about it. A PC that fits in my pocket, runs an amazing OS, that out performs any computer under a penitum 2 350.

That's just my $.02 please feel free to come to your own conclusions.

I have to agree with the person who said they wanted BASH though. That would kick @$$

Lars R. Noldan
    The difficult we do as a matter of routine. The impossible takes only slightly longer.
    lnoldan@indy.com