1.    #1  
    Palm announced this morning that their sales will be another $30M less than their last revision. They said the Moto Q has hurt them. Well, it could get worser...

RIM announced the official release of the Blackberry 8100 that is due at T-Mobile on September 12 -not that you could tell from the T-M website which doesnt even include it with their "Coming Soon" tag.

Bamby Franciso, long a Treo fan, is switching to the 8100:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...oo&siteid=yhoo

For those that missed pictures and videos:
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...cs-and-videos/

There are many write-ups on the device out today. Some are in a review roundup from the wizzes as engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/07/b...eview-roundup/

Use reviews just to learn about the device.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Here's another article on the Pearl...
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...RRY.TMP&nl=top
    Very nice for a Blackberry! Their lastest models are really getting much more stylish and feature-rich! But their email service is still only for those who subscribe and get email from their servers, right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Yes and no. You can configure email accounts to use the blackberry internet service. it's not push email, but rather pulls every once in a while. i didn't like it for me, as it just isn't the same. plus the e70 does everything that one does and more.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Very nice for a Blackberry! Their lastest models are really getting much more stylish and feature-rich! But their email service is still only for those who subscribe and get email from their servers, right?
    No; wrong, actually, if I understand your question. If your company has the BB enterprise server running, then you can get the straight BB service. Otherwise, you'll get Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) with your Blackberry. This will give you access to up to 10 business and personal email accounts. Note: All Blackberry mail, including what you get through BIS, is push mail! B-Internet-S also means you get full internet access, not just push mail. Also, in my experience with the 7100, the internet service is very fast. I had an exchange with some folks on the GSM forum here where my measured speed claims for the 7100 were dismissed as unfair because BB evidently uses a "proxy server". I didn't argue or care why it was fast.

You can read about BIS from the horse's mouth: http://www.blackberry.com/products/i...ce/index.shtml
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 09/07/2006 at 11:12 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    BIS is not a subscription, then? I thought I had read you need to set it up through your carrier.
    Also, has anyone used an unlocked Blackberry on US carrier service? I've never really seen anyone mention that.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/08/2006 at 01:46 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes it is a subscription service. It costs $19.99 for T-Mobile for example. This is on top of your voice plan. For that you get unlimited internet browsing + the ability to tie 10 email accounts to your phone. The mail from those 10 accounts is retrieved by the Blackberry servers managed by T-Mobile and then pushed to your BB.

I'm definitely getting 2 of these BB Pearls. The form factor alone sold me.
    Never owned a BB (been a palm then wm5 user) but this thing I just have to check out.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I really hope that the Calendar and Contacts applications have been upgraded. I had a 7105t back near the beginning of this year while my real phone was getting repaired and while it opened my eyes to how good Blackberry devices really are I was disappointed with those apps., espcially the calendar. These are the core applications for a PDA phone. MS, RIM, and Palm need to remember to make them function agreeably for these uses BEFORE they start worrying about playing music and movies...something most of us don't want to do anyways...
    Offical Pearl site for you to drool over if you like this device:

http://www.blackberrypearl.com/?CPID...earl&HBX_OU=50

Got it, selling my HTC Apache on ebay. This thing is awesome.
    I've held it.. sooo nice.

you don't need 19.99 a month if all you don't care too much about push. Just do the T-Zones hack.
    the job gave me a bb7710e for verizon. yes, the pearl is better than the 7130, but no way would I give up my treo for it.

that sure type is crap. maybe if the pearl had a full kb.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    ... maybe if the pearl had a full kb.
    ... maybe, Felipe, but I think you'll root for the Yankees before you give up your Treo.
    So did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    the job gave me a bb7710e for verizon. yes, the pearl is better than the 7130, but no way would I give up my treo for it.

that sure type is crap. maybe if the pearl had a full kb.
    a full KB won't fit on the 8100 The thing isn't even 2 in wide.
    the device is beautiful. my friend owns one and brought it to lunch. it's going to be a huge seller for them. the only drawback that i could see was a somewhat smallish screen and the smartkey keyboard for heavy emailer/texters......the thing is beautiful and comes at a low price. i see every Orange County mom throwing their Treo away and immediately buying a Pearl, tomorrow. mark my word, it's going to be a huge seller, especially for the blackberry crowd.

nice job
    Wow this thing is tiny (courtesty of Engadget)