Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have to admit that I do find it rather frustrating to see all the cool new phones coming out in EU while we in the states are still waiting for the Generation before the latest one to become available to us.

I know that CDMA is a smaller market, but we have GSM over here too. Why does it take YEARS sometimes, if ever, for us to get it?

Is the carriers, i.e. Sprint, Cing, VZ, etc.., fault?

Is the manufacturers determining the release strategy and time frame?

Is the Gov and FCC?

I have my opinions, just interested what those on both sides of the pond think.
    Is not true anymore. Both Q, samsun i830 and 700p/wx came out in CDMA/U.S. first.

Other GSM smart phone just got "announced" first. You can't actually buy them. See P50, Loox 830 and P990.
    Mike Mace has some GREAT thoughts on this issue in his blog
    Guesses:
    Carriers' barriers and practices
    Relative readiness/capacity of populations to learn new technology
    Reviewers and people's reliance on them
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Carriers' barriers and practices
    Relative readiness/capacity of populations to learn new technology
    Reviewers and people's reliance on them
    These all sound good...Im thinking its a lot of little reasons
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I think a lot has to do with carrier restrictions. Carriers do not want phones with the best features because they want to tie you to their proprietary offerings. However, people say Vodafone does the same thing US carriers do. Even though they DO get the good phones, they disable them sometimes. I heard similar about Orange. Which is why I will now be buying unlocked everything from now on.

Also, Nokia has claimed that the US is reluctant to accept newer technology. I'm not sure about that, but I do know that US carriers and customers tend to go with what's "safer" for them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I dunno, but I think the phone companies are being too timid. They could probably increase their revenue by throwing lotsa phone choices at their customers.

The counter argument is "we gotta test and test and test" but somehow this doesn't hold true for GSM carriers outside the U.S. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons that could be dreamed up that would justify the dreary selection at the local T-Mobile/Cingular/Verizon/Sprint outlet, let alone the non-existence of a massive department for phones at Fry's or any other similar discount electronics store -- buy, throw in your SIM, and go. Cheap.

I mean, just think. What if you could go down to your local Phones R Us and pick up a phone cheap? I'd have probably bought 2 or 3 smartphones in the last year alone.

I'm guessing that manufacturers perceive U.S. consumers as a timid lot unwilling to spend money on handsets. I think they're wrong. There's a price point at which they'll blow the doors off handset sales.

Let's hope that the dishy but completely nonfunctional Nokia stores that are popping up are the high end precursors of a "direct to consumer" strategy from the likes of HTC and Samsung.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I'm thinking its a combination of stuff like
    1. the carriers going under contracts with some cell phone manufacturers to create something cool, and then when it is available, its already dated, but the said carrier already contracted for so many units, so they need to sell them first.

2. FCC, gotta protect us and test it first.

3. Constant upgrades in technology and cell phone improvements

4. Different radios. Most of the world is on GSM, but half of the US is CDMA

Sure, a lot of stuff has come out in the States first, but how much of it is cutting edge?
    DJ

"How about I take it to the next level"
    "Sure, a lot of stuff has come out in the States first, but how much of it is cutting edge?"
    Only the RAZR recently.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    "Sure, a lot of stuff has come out in the States first, but how much of it is cutting edge?"
    Only the RAZR recently.
    **groan** Is that a bad pun

Surur
    The RAZR is getting more and more popular. Did you see the D&G versions? Plus the 5 new versions. LOL! And other makers started copying the RAZR, That was indeed an innovative design. Even if Moto software sucks, people seem to love the thinness.

I guess it was a pun, didn't even think of that. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Only the RAZR recently.
    Yeah but then when you look at the Australian V3x, and its features and interface you will go damn it why cant we get that here either.
  13. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Remember me, Hobbes?
  14.    #14  
    Yup...thanks for the heads up.....look for my PM!

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    ... I have my opinions, just interested what those on both sides of the pond think.
    So, Hobbes, what ARE your opinions?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  16.    #16  
    Oh ya....I guess I did forget to post mine....

This nothing my opinion and is based on nothing more. I think it is all corp politics and money. m

Politics. A lot of what phone goes where has to do with the politics / negotiations among carriers and manufacturers. I haven't looked, but it would be interesting to see the total EU cell phone user base vs the US user base. But in the US our market is split between CDMA and GSM, which requires two R&D solutions.

Money. The biggest market share earns the most money. I have little doubt that the EU GSM market is substantially bigger than the the US CDMA market.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    A better question would be...

Why don't we have chains of stores that are out there selling unlocked phones? In Europe, every phone is unlocked anyway, as there usually is no carrier subsidy (no one would get caught with a contract over there). So, our carriers subsidize and have manufacturers customize their phones for their own particular uses.

If you look at the best case scenario over here, T-Mobile (although they don't bring many phones to market) does the least customization to their handsets, so they usually get the ones they want out quicker.
  18.    #18  
    I personally like the idea of unlocked stores. But I can see it now, the US carriers target them and start offering phones like the 700wx or the newly announced 6800 for only $50 with 3 yr contract vs paying $600 - $800 for a phone without contract. They would cover the loss at least long enough to at least try to drive them out of business.

But is there even a way to sell an unlocked CDMA phone and then have it upgraded to the Carrier you want? I certainly can be wrong on this, but I don't think it's possible or feasible. So you are still only talking about a portion of the American market these stores could draw from.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hobbes,

unfortunately, no. Most people seem to be able to Verizonize a sprint phone or viceversa, but I have never tried (the phones have never been so great that I particularly cared about doing so).

On the GSM front, though, it seems that there are three cool new phones announced every week. Being able to get those, and sell them at a reasonable cost here in the US makes a lot of sense.

However, the carriers and the FCC are not the only ones to blame. The manufacturers don't usually create worldwide interfaces from the get go. For example, I use a Philippine sold Nokia E70. With all the languages available on that phone, US English is not one of them. So, it seems that even the manufacturers aren't looking at the idea of releasing simultaneously everywhere.

Nokia just opened two flagship stores here in the US. There, they sell a number of unlocked phones, that work fine with either of the GSM carriers. But, that comes at a premium. I think there is a market for those who want to be first, and the manufacturers could actually deliver those handsets faster if they didn't spend their time trying to appease carrier customization....

Time for a career change...
    I remember the good old days before phone cloning, when unlocked CDMA phones were the norm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast