Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    On the GSM front, though, it seems that there are three cool new phones announced every week. Being able to get those, and sell them at a reasonable cost here in the US makes a lot of sense.

However, the carriers and the FCC are not the only ones to blame. The manufacturers don't usually create worldwide interfaces from the get go. For example, I use a Philippine sold Nokia E70. With all the languages available on that phone, US English is not one of them. So, it seems that even the manufacturers aren't looking at the idea of releasing simultaneously everywhere.

Nokia just opened two flagship stores here in the US. There, they sell a number of unlocked phones, that work fine with either of the GSM carriers. But, that comes at a premium. I think there is a market for those who want to be first, and the manufacturers could actually deliver those handsets faster if they didn't spend their time trying to appease carrier customization....

Time for a career change...
    So you weren't able to secure the North American version? That's too bad. But if you use T-Mobile, you're fine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Lady Treo, yes, I did get one, but then, finding out that because I use T-Mobile, I didn't need the 850 band, I kept the other one ( I had paid way less for it). I just ordered a BB Pearl to play around with. Will let you know what I think of it soon enough.
    Carriers and manufacturers, yes; and then there are U.S patent laws serving and protecting U.S. patent holders. E.g., http://www.qualcomm.com/press/releas...ringement.html
    NTP patents were going to affect RIM's U.S. service only -and this was a company that had no service or products of its own -only patents. Qualcomm unloaded its manufacturing years ago, but as you can see, they do have more than 24,000 patents. A few thousand may be affecting what comes in and what it costs.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Mike Mace has some GREAT thoughts on this issue in his blog
    That was a very pleasant read. The perspective that was given on how Europeans, in general, highly regard their "mobile phones" was particularly inightful.
    I think part of it is that the carriers have a brand that people know and recognize, but most Americans don't know the cell-phone brands besides those like Motoroloa and Nokia. LG is getting bigger recognition, but I know a lot of intelligent, well-off 30-somethings that don't know much about phone brands.

Also, if there are a variety of brands and makes, despite universal standards, the carriers can't "guarantee" service connection, etc. What happens when the phone has issues, are you going to have to deal with the manufacturer or some other vendor that sold you the phone?

From a business perspective, carriers can extend their brands and get into new markets like music, video, tv, etc., i.e Verizon's V-cast and the LG Chocolate (which I think is a mistake) With a select set of phones that they control, they can do this. I saw a posting elsewhere (either here or on pdabuzz) and someone was talking about that one of the biggest problems is that the carriers control the "wallpaper" of the phones...what they will look like and what the will show and how this limits the use and offerings of the phone.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the unlocked phone. I had a 650 unlocked on T-Mo for quite awhile before switching to the MDA. But the whole time, I was worried that I'd call T-Mo about a problem and they'd say, "sorry, we don't support."
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    One bottom line: Free markets are an illusion
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12