Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #2  
    Well, my worst fears have just come true....Palm is indeed going to replace the III series with the M100 line. Look at this quote:

A Palm representative declined to comment on the M105 but said Tuesday that the company has stopped production of the Palm IIIxe. The M105 will replace the Palm IIIxe.
    I don't f()cking believe this! Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I'll be damned if I ever buy an M100/105, and there's now way in hell I'm dropping $600 for the M505!
    ..then again, Palm making bad hardware might be better than Palm making hardware so good it buries Handspring....
    i'm curious about the 'RIM-Killer'

they should name handhelds like that...it's easier to remember than a number or 'average' name.

Who would forget the product name if somebody said:

'hmmm...let me check my RIM-Killer and we can arrange an appointment!'

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    ...I don't f()cking believe this! Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I'll be damned if I ever buy an M100/105, and there's now way in hell I'm dropping $600 for the M505!
    You swear a lot.

I think we'll be looking at Handspring to keep the Palm philosophy alive (unless that Palm V runs closer to $400 but I'm not holding my breath). What kills me is that they're dropping flash RAM (in the V too?). It sounds like Palm is leaving their throats open. Let's see if Handspring goes for it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  5.    #6  
    Now is a pretty good time for me to be swearing! This is ridiculous, and it's exactly what I feared would happen. Palm seems intent on replacing the III series (which is their mid-range device) with the M105 (which is an entry level device).

If this happens, I'm now left with 2 choices: buy the toy (M105) or pay a ridiculous price (possibly as much as $600 on a Palm M505!

Needless to say, I'm not happy right now.
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    i'm curious about the 'RIM-Killer'

they should name handhelds like that...it's easier to remember than a number or 'average' name.

Who would forget the product name if somebody said:

'hmmm...let me check my RIM-Killer and we can arrange an appointment!'

So I guess I'm the only one who thinks "RIM-Killer" sounds like a sexual aid. =)

I saw the News.com article earlier in the day, and as someone who owned the original Palm III, I can't say that this is a good thing. When I was shopping for my new PDA back in October (I ended up with the VPR), I played around with the M100 at Best Buy. I wasn't nuts about the design to begin with, and the feel of the device is just...well, wrong. Add to that a smaller screen (with the oddest tint I've ever seen), and there was no way in hell I was buying that. Now they're going to replace the IIIx with something from the M100 series? No thanks. (The lack of flash-ROM isn't that much of a dealbreaker for me - if it were, I wouldn't have bought a Visor.) It strikes me, though, that with the lack of Flash-ROM and what seems to be the lack of a SD slot, they're definately knocking this series down to Entry-Level.

I think that unless Palm comes out with a replacement mid-range series (there were buzzings of an m300...), the Platnium may see some migrants from the Palm camp.
    If this happens, I'm now left with 2 choices: buy the toy (M105) or pay a ridiculous price (possibly as much as $600 on a Palm M505!

Needless to say, I'm not happy right now.
    ...or just stick with a Visor!
    Now is a pretty good time for me to be swearing! This is ridiculous, and it's exactly what I feared would happen. Palm seems intent on replacing the III series (which is their mid-range device) with the M105 (which is an entry level device)...
    Nothing wrong with it, just an observation. I'm hoping that Handspring doesn't axe inclusion of flash RAM because Palm did. I've heard rumors of visors with flash, and it'd be a shame to lose that. That is the one feature I wish my visor had.
    -Joshua
    OR MAYBE.. they are realsing at CeBIT a WHOLE NEW LINE!!!! simple,mid,adv!

All I GET to say from joy.. SCREW PALM!!!b haahahahhaha
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I loved my Palm III, and will be sad to see the III series go. But it does make business sense from Palm's point of view. The m100 has been a huge success for Palm. And the company can turn out the m105 faster and in higher volume than the III series, since it avoids the component shortage that affects Flash ROM. And entry-level users couldn't care less about OS upgradability (a had dinner with an m100 owner last week who didn't even know it had a backlight!).

The so-called RIM-killer (I hope Palm keeps that name, Hoser) is much more exciting. I'd love to have all the functionality of the Blackberry while retaining Palm apps and pen input. I just hope the monthly service is more reasonable than what Palm.net's currently charging.
  11.    #12  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    ...And entry-level users couldn't care less about OS upgradability...
    But your missing the point. The M100/105 is an entry level device...the IIIxe is a mid-level device. Now Palm is replacing this mid-level device with an entry level product! See the problem?

As someone put it at Palmstation.."We can buy the Yugo or the Lexus, but now there is nothing in between!". I can pay $199 for an M105, or jump to $399 for the M500. That's one hell of a jump.

I can't believe Palm would even consider doing this.
    Ok, so the new m505's Secure Digital Card slot for removable storage and wireless access will support 32MB & 64MB this year (and up to 256MB eventually). But is this the FAFileMover-type, non realtime, Bozo the Clown stuff or are we talking full, real-time, read/write access? Anyone know? For $635, I would expect no less.

If it is then I hope Handspring has something to trump that...cause they may need it. If not now, then down the road.
    <i> If it's worth doing, it's got to be done right now.</i>
    Not just the novices don't care much about upgradability. If you don't need any of the new features in a new OS, the software you use supports the existing OS, and you plan to upgrade your hardware every 18-24 months, there is no need upgrade your OS.

I've had 3 Palm OS devices since 1997 (PPro, PIIIx, and now a Prism) and never needed more than an OS patch. When and if I need 4.0 or higher, I'll probably upgrade my hardware at the same time. I can sell or donate to charity my current hardware.

That is why I chose a Prism this time around. I wanted color and expandability and I'm more than happy with my set up. The M505 is looking pretty good right now -- especially if it supports executable access from the removable storage.
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    All I GET to say from joy.. SCREW PALM!!!b haahahahhaha

come on now, miradu. That's the wrong thinking. i heard a word the other day 'co-opetition' Two companies that compete yet co-operate. It drives the product line through competition, but insures new products through joint colaboration. I think the handheld market is still in its early years and can support a situation like this. I think it would be bad for either company if the other was to go out of business right now.

Further down the line, we can start to post 'screw <name of company>' threads, but I don't think that's viable for awhile. Geez, without the PocketPC i'd be worried also! And i'm not a PocketPC fan.

It's been said on here a thousand times...competion is good, now imagine that competion with a degree of co-operation and you'll see a scenario that is in its first steps right now between Handspring and Palm!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    But your missing the point. The M100/105 is an entry level device...the IIIxe is a mid-level device. Now Palm is replacing this mid-level device with an entry level product! See the problem?
    The V and Vx will probably become Palm's mid-level devices, falling somewhere between $250 and $350.
  16.    #17  
    That really doesn't make much sense, as the V/Vx would be a mirror copy of the M500/505. And Palm would expend more cost trying to retrofit the Vs with SD Slots. It would actually be cheaper or cost as much to simply develop a new model, and the lower price point for the V/Vx would certainly cannibalize sales of the new M500 and 505 to.

I'm actually wondering if Palm may be planning on placing the VII or a new VII replacement as the successor to the III series.
  17. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    That really doesn't make much sense, as the V/Vx would be a mirror copy of the M500/505. And Palm would expend more cost trying to retrofit the Vs with SD Slots.
    Why do you think they would need to retrofit the V/Vx with SD slots? That's one of the main differentiators of the m500/505 (along with PalmOS4.0, and color in the 505). Do you think they need to retrofit the m100 with SD slot? Certainly palm has stated that 'future' models will all have SD slots, but I don't think that implies retrofitting existing models. I think what was being suggested was that if Palm decides they need a mid-cost offering, they could conceivably just reduce the cost of the V/Vx and bring in the m500/m505 at the high end. The V/Vx offers a nicer form factor and slightly bigger screen than the m100/m105, and the m500/m505 offers the SD slot and color screen option. Of course, this doesn't address the PalmIIIc, but maybe that will be phased out, too?
    1. I say screw Palm mainly because my family teases me so much about handspring.. and makes palm so "good", that I dislike them. YEs they own my operating system, so I like them in that respect. It's like HP. I Don't use HP-UX, I use and HP with Linux or Windows on it.

2. I actually thought the EXCAT same thing! that the Palm VII (the neww one) will replace the Palm III.. SCARY! wireless for all.. no! j/k
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    2. I actually thought the EXCAT same thing! that the Palm VII (the neww one) will replace the Palm III.. SCARY! wireless for all.. no! j/k
    Everyone except for those of us who live in the boonies. The closest area with wireless for me is the Twin Cities. I'm not going to drive 6 hours to check my e-mail from the car.
    -Joshua
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast