Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I’ve had a Treo since the old, monochrome, graffiti days of the Treo 180g. Now I’ve changed to a Nokia e61. There were only two reasons for this: the lack of UMTS/3G (fast data connection on the road) and the lack of over-the-air synchronization of calendar, contacts and email (Exchange Server) of the Treo.

I’ve been using the e61 for about a month now. The experience is strongly mixed, the e61 has strong pluses and minuses when compared to the Treo:

Nokia better:
    • UMTS/3G. In my case about 250-350 kbit/s vs. 56 kbit/s. WLAN and Bluetooth, too, all work without problem.
    • Screen: extremely bright, wider, very nice (320*240)
    • Size: wider, but thinner. In my view, width is not such a problem in a pocket, the thinner but wider form factor is an advantage.
    • Very solid look and feel (metal)
    • Synch with MS Exchange Server over the air: works very nicely if your Exchange is on MS Server 2003. No additional software, licensing fees or server necessary, all out of the box without need for Blackberry infrastructure.
    • Browser: allows surfing of normal websites in a very convenient way (and in 3G speed)
    • Stability: no resets, everything works as it is supposed to.

Treo better:
    • Touchscreen: many things are just not possible without a touchscreen.
    • Usability: TERRIBLE on Nokia/Symbian in comparison to Palm. Everything takes at least twice as long to access. Almost nothing can be accessed via keyboard or joystick (corresponds to 5-way navigation of Treo). Take the calculator as just one example: you can type the numbers on the keyboard (hurray!), but you have move the “cursor” to +, -, /, *... VERY slow and cumbersome. I would have thought that a device without touchscreen allows better control via keyboard/joystick, but the opposite is true.
    • Software: Very few programs available. In comparison to what they offer, they are much more expensive than in the Palm world. You pay like 10 Euro/US$ for something you get as freeware for the Treo, or 30 Euro/US$ for something you get for 10 for the Treo.
    • PIM/PDA functions: MUCH better on the Treo. For instance, you cannot search for anything in the calendar. Basically, you cannot search for anything anywhere. Adding a new phone number to a contact is so complicated, it is almost a bad joke when you are familiar with a Palm.

The Nokia e61 wins on the phone/hardware/communications side - not surprisingly from a mobile phone company. Palm/Treo wins on everything related to PDA, software, usability (with the exception of stability for some) – not surprisingly from a PDA developer.

I really hope Palm will make it and get the 3G/UMTS/WLAN stuff going, and also the synching with Exchange and other Servers. I miss the Palm world, the overall feeling of Palm programs/devices is much better.

So in case you have any questions: fire away, I am still hanging around here...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Thanks for the unvarnished summary, particularly because it comes from a month's worth of use rather than the 2-hour instant review. I was really interested in the E61 when it came out and I'm glad I didn't go get one, based on your feedback.

I have an Exchange Server 2003 box so I want the over the air sync of my Outlook data. Beyond that, however, I want the Palm experience. The PalmOS experience, I should say.
    I have a question for you:

Have you checked on developers sites to see if the OS can be changed in any way? I believe all Symbian OS on other cell phones can be modified, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reading all the reviews and looking at videos of this phone, it is indeed very hard to do things done. But I remember that EPOC devises are very easily modified.

Also, I believe that the E61 is half as heavy as the Treo 650.

Thank you for your post.

GB
    I also have a couple questions,

does Symbian has software for
    1) Gameboy emulator
    2) Online streaming of wma, asf and mp3 files
    3) wmv and divx playback
    4) RSS/podcast downloader
    5) Something like SprintTV or MobiTV that actually let you use the bandwidth
    6) Limit on the max size of the memory card?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by estuardo View Post
    I have a question for you:

Have you checked on developers sites to see if the OS can be changed in any way? I believe all Symbian OS on other cell phones can be modified, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reading all the reviews and looking at videos of this phone, it is indeed very hard to do things done. But I remember that EPOC devises are very easily modified.

Also, I believe that the E61 is half as heavy as the Treo 650.

Thank you for your post.

GB
    Judging from how the applications on the e61 work, it seems more difficult to modifiy the way the phone works than with PalmOS, but I am no expert on OS. However, there don't seem to be things like hacks around.

The e61 is 20% lighter than the T650.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I also have a couple questions,

does Symbian has software for
    1) Gameboy emulator
    There are for S60 phones, but I am not sure whether this is also true (yet) for S60 3rd edition, the one you need for the e61.
    2) Online streaming of wma, asf and mp3 files
    WMA highly unlikely since Microsoft technology, Real video and real audio streaming yes.
    3) wmv and divx playback
    WMV no, divx yes. Try http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html, a good freeware.
    4) RSS/podcast downloader
    Yes, RSS out of the box, podcast via some app I guess.
    5) Something like SprintTV or MobiTV that actually let you use the bandwidth
    Never found anything of that sort.
    6) Limit on the max size of the memory card?
    Don't know about a limit. Mini SD card, though.
    I actually like the contacts application in S60, it's more thorough. I could enter any and all numbers and emails possible if I wanted to. There are fields for a contact's COMPLETE contact info. Home, work, business, personal, video call info, internet telephone number, etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Still No Isilo for e61/e62, correct?
    Just call me Berd.
    I had to search for what you meant, since I don't use it.

Yes, it won't work on the 3rd edition of S60. http://www.isilo.com/download/iSiloS60.htm

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I had to search for what you meant, since I don't use it.

Yes, it won't work on the 3rd edition of S60. http://www.isilo.com/download/iSiloS60.htm

Thanks,
    I don't know how I overlooked that.
    "does not work on S60 3rd Edition"
    Just call me Berd.
    I need to ask the OP what software he/she thinks is needed? I posted a thread of S60 software I want to use and I guess no one knew what I was talking about.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=123305

I really don't see the need to add tons of programs to S60 anyway. Unless the built-ins don't work well. I think 20 at the most should be fine.

12.    #12  
    I actually like the contacts application in S60, it's more thorough. I could enter any and all numbers and emails possible if I wanted to. There are fields for a contact's COMPLETE contact info. Home, work, business, personal, video call info, internet telephone number, etc.
    Did you ever try to add an email address to a contact on a Nokia e61? It takes about 30 clicks, no joke! You open the contact, then Options key, scroll to "Edit", then Option key, scroll to "Add Detail", then scroll through 25(!!) items in the list using the joystick until you FINALLY arrive at "Email" and you are allowed to fill in the address. Almost all of the 25 items in front of "Email" are totally useless, like "Internet Phone Number, Internet Phone Number Private, Internet Phone Number Office, SIP Number, Video Call Number, Video Call Number Private, blah, blah...). A total nuisance.

And: you can't search for the e.g. company name in the contacts search field. In case you are not sure about the name and only remember the company or something else, you are lost...
    It didn't take me 30 clicks.

I tried Nokia E61 a couple weeks ago, back to treo 650 after a week of using it

*Not single handed operation
    *Zero button is weirdly positioned
    * VERY SLOW os
    *I would prefer Chatteremail than MS exchange server
    *Love the wlan thou'
    *no threaded sms
    *cannot use Tomtom navigator
    *I like the metal finish on Nokia

Anyone try P990i yet?
  15.    #15  
    It didn't take me 30 clicks.
    You seem to like Symbian/S60 3rd Edition, is that right? In your view, is there anything that is solved better in the Symbian world when compared to PalmOS, without counting better stability and the availability of synching with Exchange servers (without 3rd party server infrastructure) maybe? I honestly cannot think of anything, with the exception of the browser of the the e61.

When using the Treo/Palm apps, I mostly had a "cool, they thought of that"-feeling (like when the calculator switches to the "number mode" automatically). With the Nokia e61, it's "how could they not think of that? Why is this so cumbersome?" (like when the Nokia calculator doesn't even make use of the QWERTY keyboard).
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post

When using the Treo/Palm apps, I mostly had a "cool, they thought of that"-feeling (like when the calculator switches to the "number mode" automatically). With the Nokia e61, it's "how could they not think of that? Why is this so cumbersome?" (like when the Nokia calculator doesn't even make use of the QWERTY keyboard).

Especiallty Alt+Shift Shortcut for FIND
    Enter anything you want to search, palm os will search for you.
    Today I lossed my memory for a few minutes of not remembering my mortgage broker name. I just enter "Mortgage" in Find column, just in a second , I know his name again

It even search chatter email body. Just love it more and more
    I just keep going back to my 650. The two biggest annoyances to me are the the speed and the the menu structure.

This thing is SLOW. I guess a slow processor is the trade off for great battery life, but I find myself waiting for the phone to catch up with me.
    The menus are poorly thought out. Everything takes too many clicks or presses. The menu sequence does not seem prioritized for common usage.

There is little software that improves the function of the built-in apps. I know of only one email client, ProfilMail, which is a minor improvment over the native email, but it is maybe the ugliest interface I have ever seen. I don't know programming, but I've heard the complaint that Symbian's security features make it extremely difficult for an application to improve basic phone functions.

It's GPRS connetion is also odd. If I lose the connection, the phone does not automatically reconnect. That means that push mail stops working and there is no warning that it has happened. That really defeats the purpose of push mail. It leaves me feeling that I can't count on my mail arriving.

The phone works well. Reception is on a par with most other cell phones, but is not much better than the Treo. Sound is good; clear and strong.

I know every OS has it's quirks and that there is a learning curve with all of them. I just don't feel this device offers enough more features or stability than the Treo to make it worth the time to master.

There is a firmware update available that I will try to install. If that update doesn't make significant improvements I'll sell this thing.
    Firmware update? Do you have a link?

And if you end up hating the update, I'm in Chicago. Hint, hint.

The OS is slow if you go through the "select" option, but just press the joystick as the "enter" button. It goes a lot faster then.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/08/2006 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clulup View Post
    You seem to like Symbian/S60 3rd Edition, is that right? In your view, is there anything that is solved better in the Symbian world when compared to PalmOS, without counting better stability and the availability of synching with Exchange servers (without 3rd party server infrastructure) maybe? I honestly cannot think of anything, with the exception of the browser of the the e61.

Partly, it's the phones themselves. Finally wifi included! S60 also has a clean, attractive interface. It's like WM5, but cleaner. I like the Palm OS, but it's getting too old for me. I'm finding I now like WM5 and Symbian better.

Wait a minute, I just used the calculator fine!! It used the number keys automatically. I'm confused.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 09/08/2006 at 10:52 AM.

I saw the update info on allaboutsymbian.com. The update is not yet posted on Nokia's update site, but some of the service centers seem to be getting it. Since we are in the US, we have to rely on the PC install method...and I only have Macs. Maybe a friend will let me use a PC when the update is available.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast