Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If it becomes too much of a PITA, please let me know and maybe we can work out something. Since I'm in the same city, it will be easy. I made a deal with someone else from here and it was great! No shipping hassles. I like the E61 enough to get another for a different line. I can ALMOST never say I liked the Treo enough to get 2. I think I did once, but decided it was too much of a hassle.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    PM me and we'll talk. I depend so much on email for my business and I don't feel I can trust the Nokia. That may be skewed since I recently switched from Cingular to T-Mobile and the GPRS disconnect issues seem to have disapeared. Whatever, it still would be good to talk to another phone geek in the area.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Partly, it's the phones themselves. Finally wifi included! S60 also has a clean, attractive interface. It's like WM5, but cleaner. I like the Palm OS, but it's getting too old for me. I'm finding I now like WM5 and Symbian better.
    WIFI and even more so 3G/UMTS is what made me change to the e61. Hardware-wise the Nokia is better than the Treo. But everything software-related is done in a very tedious and user-unfriendly manner, when compared to Palm. I'm still looking for an example of something Symbian does better than Palm regarding usability/software.

Wait a minute, I just used the calculator fine!! It used the number keys automatically. I'm confused.
    The calculator makes use of the numbers, but not of the QWERTY keyboard, as if the e61 only had numbers on its keyboard. You have to use the joystick and navigate to plus, minus, etc. That's a typical example of careless programming that does not take into account usability.

The way you have to add e.g. an email address in Contacts is another one: the fact that one has to scroll through a list of 20 mostly useless items until arriving at a field which is probably the one used most after mobile/home/business phone numbers is just sloppy, careless programming.

I can add lots of complaints more like the ones above in case somebody is interested (no copy/paste from browser, links in email always open in primitive WAP-browser instead of normal browser, no way of disabling the voice-memo hard button few if any need, but many constantly trigger because of where it is located, etc.) .
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I don't see what the big deal is about the calculator. I haven't triggered the voice memo button yet. We'll have to agree to disagree on the contacts program, I think it is more thorough than WM5's or Palm's. I didn't try the browser cut and paste, or email links, so can't comment on that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Clulup,

<do you have a review somewhere on the net? It would be very interesting to know the differences between the Treo UI and the Symbian S60 UI.

The Phone Diva,

About the calculator, how are you doing the operations? Do you have to use the joystick to enter an operation? Are you using the keyboard for all the data entering?

Thank you both of you.

GB
    Yes, you have to use the joystick to enter a function. And I used the keyboard to enter the numbers.

7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by estuardo View Post
    Clulup,

<do you have a review somewhere on the net? It would be very interesting to know the differences between the Treo UI and the Symbian S60 UI.
    Here's quite a good one on the e61 in general: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...Nokia_E611.php

Googling for "e61" and "review" will bring up more reviews. Most of them are written by Symbian users, so what they find ok regarding usability may not apply to your standards (assuming you are a Treo user).

As far as a comparison between Treo and e61 is concerned, I have not found anything more specific than what I wrote at the beginning of this thread.

The e61 is an ok device, hardware is great, but software and usability is highly limited. This may not be noticable when using the e61 mostly as a phone, but when it is used as a working tool e.g. for business, the limited PIM functionality and other aspects start to show.

E.g. the fact that you cannot copy/paste from the browser sounds like no big deal, but when you look up an phone number in the browser and then you have search for pen and paper in order to write it down and then type it into the phone again, it's a pain in everyday life. Or the fact that all links in emails open in the WAP browser: its like a computer opening Word documents only in the text editor instead of Word, and really NO way to change this.
    Last edited by clulup; 09/13/2006 at 12:43 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Why haven't you dumped yours yet? Any phone that bad for my needs, I would return within the return period. Although with an unlocked phone, many of these places get iffy when you try to return.

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why haven't you dumped yours yet? Any phone that bad for my needs, I would return within the return period. Although with an unlocked phone, many of these places get iffy when you try to return.
    There was no 3G Smartphone available before the return period was over. The e61 is not catastrophic, it just has lots of serious usability drawbacks when compared to the Treo. While writing this on the e61, I notice I cannot move the cursor up one line, I have to scroll all the way through the text (letter by letter) if I want to change something a few lines up. Takes 7 seconds PER LINE! VERY tedious.
    I have the E61 and it is AWSOME! Everything it claims it does it does very very very well. Its the best Bluetooth/Phone pairing I have ever had (i use the nokia 800 BT headset), The volume of the calls and ring tones is unreal. The midi ring tones is UNREAL!! I mean this is the best sounding phone speaker I have ever heard it is really really clear and loud and detailed.
    The screen is fabulous. The quality of construction is the best I have ever used. Period...nothing comes close in quality.
    The office apps are great!. The syncing with Outlook is 100 percent perfect I Have never experienced a software glitch ( unlike Activesync for WM5 which is THE worst).
    The wifi works perfectly
    The Bluetooth file sending from my PC is perfect!
    the music downloads from the software is unbelievably easy and sounds great on the built in phone speaker, and headphones.
    The applications that are native to Symbian are very very good. I miss category syncing though. That will come with 3rd party apps or symbian update.
    The email is awsome!, Text messaging is perfect...

The web browser on my E61 is very very quick it makes my Cingular Treo 650 seem like a dial up compared to DSL, it renders pages and pics very quickly.
    has a great scrolling feature when the toggle is held in position it tears through the page and creates a smaller window pane for searching where you want quickly.

battery life is ridiculous I use it all day and have nearly a full charge left when I get home

awsome voice recorder, actually record (VERY VERYY CLEARLY) your phone calls or just add voice memos)

Infra red is included!! and works great

Oh yeah..the best part!!! Built in Voice recognition that does NOT have to learn each contact!!!! Mine works either through the phone or via BT headset and I get the correct contact 100 percent of the time. ( tip, if it isnt working for you, reset the voice command button in the voice command app,)

I am hugely sold on this phone..
    couple things on the wish list
    camera, and more apps ( they will come)

Compared to the treo 650, (every windows phone Ive had), all of them... this E61 is great.. no more crashes, ( treo )

I have a few 3rd party apps all work very very very well
    Worldmate
    IM+ is awsome
    Calcium calculator (free)
    Aquacalander new version out tonight (9/15) is really good I have been testing the beta and its great
    Zip Manager ( comes with Phone)
    Auto Lock ( free)
    Advanced call manager very detailed call manager
    Google Maps Very cool and free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12