Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anybody had any concrete info on this phone. I know I'm probably in the minority but I miss the Flipphone. This one looks to have a pretty good camera and the new bluetooth. I've seen rumors sprint may pick it up, anybody know. Thanks
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I've not heard too much about the phone in the last month or so, but a website (can't remember where) said it was possibly coming out in September. Of course, this was the GSM version, and not on the 850 band, so definitely not Sprint, and not even Cingular either.

Of course, with other Samsung phones (i505, i550) that never saw the light of day, this almost perfect phone may not actually come out in production either.

Back in May the FCC was asked to remove the information about the phone by Samsung for another 6 months, so hopefully we'll have some version of this by Christmas, with a Sprint version sometime in Q1 2007. We cal only hope. Until then, the 700wx will have to hold me over.
    DJ

"How about I take it to the next level"
    If you like flip phones, take a look at the Dopod s300/QTek 8500(?) or the HTC STR TRK. I have it and LOVE it!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I'd love a flip phone, but I'm still partial to touch screens. And since I dropped over $400 in software for WM5 for PPC, I really don't want to have to switch again to another OS so soon.
    DJ

I've had the Verizon XV-6700 now for longer than I've typically held on to a phone ( > 6 months) and like some things about it.

But I find it bulky, and, unlike my expectations when I bought it, I never use wi-fi, as evdo is great and works everywhere I usually go, never use the sideways keyboard (I use the virtual KB a lot), and never use the camera.

I'd like something slimmer, but still evdo or edge, with a generous, brighter screen for outdoors, faster processing, crisper sound quality, and a qwerty keyboard that lends itself better to one-handed operation. I'm neutral on O/S, although I like rich synch options.

Asking too much?

So the i770 is appealing, but can't seem to find anything recent about it. I was also looking at the Blackberry 8703e, but that too seems bulky.

I looked at the HTC STR TRK which seems like a step in the right direction, but dislike the older BT and USB, and have no need for a camera, and I do need some kind of QWERTY keyboard for replying to emails and TXT msging.

Any suggestions on upcoming i770 or other handhelds?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Since Samsung asked the FCC for 6 months of confidentiality shortly after some information was discovered about the phone back in May, it can only be assumed that if the phone does see the light of day, it wouldn't be for at least another month or two (even though some websites have been suggesting September, which is pretty much over). If you're looking for a QWERTY with Windows PPC, you can either switch to Sprint and go with the Treo 700WX (I love mine), or you can hold out for the Treo 750V when that comes out. By then maybe more information will be available on the i770 (which will also be my next toy, when it is released!)
    DJ

Wish list:

-Slim form factor
    -Super sharp, bright screen
    -QWERTY Keyboard
    -Excellent sound quality
    -Fast processor, plenty of memory
    -Great with email (pdf and office attachments, multiple accounts, etc.)
    -Fast on internet (evdo / edge)
    -Easy and accurate synch with Outlook
    -Latest BT and USB connectors
    -SD or mini-SD slot
    -GREAT battery life
    -Voice dialing

Unecessary and/or unwanted
    ===============
    -Camera
    -Weird, proprietary connectors
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Motorola Q with extended battery ?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    JLCZL:

Thanks! I saw your post and went to CNET to read the USER OPINIONS, and a couple of them caught my eye. One complained that with no touch screen (yes, not a "Must Have" for me, but now am wondering if it should be?

Another wrote this:

"First of all, if you use pop email, synching is a nightmare. Even with techs on the phone from both Verizon and Moto, they couldn't tell me how to set up pop email in a way that even resembled real time email. I put it next to my bberry and sent a half dozen messages. They were like night and day. The bberry get's it instantly. The Q has to wait 15 minutes to send a message. Then, it only sends you part of the message. if you have atachments you have to request that they be sent the next time around. Yes, you can force a synch but it's a tedious and pointless process just to read an email you are already in the middle of.

"Next, the active synch product synchs to Outlook, as long as you don't use the notes portion. What??! Are t hey serious? Yes, in fact they are. If you don't have exchange , the activesyncyh doesn't support all of Outlook on your Q. In fact, the Q doesn't even have a memo/notes application on the unit. i thought i must have missed the sw or accidentally deleted it but the Moto tech guy confirmed that the Q doesn't support NOTES from Outlook. How lame is that?! Why build a phone and then have it handle 3 qtrs of the synch???

I tried downloaded 4 programs that shoudl have run on the Q. of them, only 1 of them (Slingmedia's player) actually ran. The others all bombed out - and this was on links directly from Moto's Q web page. I'm hopeful that this will get fixed as firms gen up Q based solutions but for now, it was pretty weak."

Any Q users out there care to comment?

Other wish list suggestions?
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Can't answer for all of those but the mail attatchments issue is easily solved. No attatchment downloading is set as default but you can easily set it to download all attatchments (whole) by going into the activesync options. I personally had no issues with e-mail delivery (maybe that's because I am a seasoned user).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by planetpeck View Post
    Any Q users out there care to comment?
    I use VZWSync with my Q and receive emails as quickly as they reach my desktop (seem nearly simultaneous). I routinely beat the BB users in my company (we have contests, childish ones, just because). That said, the Q's email software (WM5.0 for Smartphone) is mediocre at best. Managing an even moderately busy email account is a chore (try deleting 100 messages - one at a time with a 2 step process for each one - bleah!).
    Thanks for your comments. I took the plunge, compromising on Voice Dial and expandable memory -- got a Cingular Blackberry 8700c. Day two -- great screen, easy to nav / simple controls, fast internet, quick email from all accounts. Phone is good too. This is probably an interim solution, but that's what I always say...
    Pearl ....