Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Walt Mossberg has just reviewed the new Nokia E62, a somewhat limited version of the E61 designed for Europe and elsewhere. As near as I can tell, the E62 differs from the E61 only in the lack of WiFi and 3G. Will this make much difference in actual use on Cingular? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    No UMTS even? Thats not good.

Surur
    E61, Quad GSM, WCDMA & wifi. this should make it possible to travel w/1 phone to japan, europe & the rest of the world. pretty cool.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
  4.    #5  
    Now, I probably should do a search, but could someone educate me in 3 sentences or less about UMTS and 3G and how that would or wouldn't work on Cingular? Thanks!
    Unfortunately more than three sentences but in close to plain English, here.
    The whole world except the U.S. has UMTS which uses two frequencies for upload/download (1900/2100). In the U.S. the 2100 is reserved for the military although the FTC has just started to auction licenses for that frequency.

Cingular in their wisdom decided to use UMTS on frequencies they already own (850/1900). The two UMTS phones Cingular already sells use UMTS 850/1900 so they work on Cingular but won't work for UMTS anywhere else.

The HTC TyTN is one of the few (only?) devices that currenty support tri-mode UMTS (850/1900/2100) so UMTS can work on Cingular and the rest of the world.

So in summary if you want a true world phone you want an quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) and tri-mode UMTS (850/1900/2100) device. Right now the HTC TyTN is the only one I know for sure does this.

And yes, I did spend a loooong time researching this when I tried an HTC TyTN recently.

EDIT: FYI, that article linked is wrong. Cingular does not use 1900/1900 for both upload and download. They use 850/1900 as I have indicated (otherwise why does the TyTYN support UMTS 850/1900/2100?).

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    Now, I probably should do a search, but could someone educate me in 3 sentences or less about UMTS and 3G and how that would or wouldn't work on Cingular? Thanks!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    You can also use this link: http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20060824.html

Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo View Post
    booooooo-urns i have to register with the wall street journal
  8.    #9  
    So, I should NOT expect super-speeds from either the E62 with no "3g" or the E61 with the "wrong" 3G?
    Yup, neither of these give you 3G in the U.S. You will get the normal pokey EDGE speeds. The only currently shipping PDA/smartphone with GSM 3G in the U.S. is the HTC TyTN you can get from importers. Rumors say Cingular will launch this as the 8525 in late September.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    So, I should NOT expect super-speeds from either the E62 with no "3g" or the E61 with the "wrong" 3G?
    Does anyone know if the charger will be interchangable between the E61 and 62? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Bump. Still interested in knowing if e62 charger is interchangable with e61.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hard to tell since nobody has one yet. One spec I say said that the E62 would have mini-USB like the E61 has a Nokia pop-port connector. I haven't seen any pictures of the bottom of the E62 so you'll probably have to wait for more info.
    I was hoping someone on here had an advance release. I know they exist. Well, I tried.

I just looked on Nokia's US site. The E62 is finally listed as coming soon. I think that it uses the US version of the adapter, it certainly looks like it. The model number is the same except for the last letter(AC-4U), and I hope U means US. One I have says E(AC-4E), but with a US adapater attached.

I have the E61 and I am glad that I went for it instead of waiting for the E62. From what I have heard is that they E62 might not even have a quad band antenna, just the two US bands. Also, IMO leaving out the wifi was a bad move. I constantly use the wifi on my E61 when I am near a hot spot.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $61$ $and$ $62$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $charger$.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I see in your signature that you have an HTC Wizard and an E61. Can you tell me how you feel about each, sort of a comparison, as an owner familiar with both? I have been offered a trade for my Qtek 9100 and I don't use it much anymore since I have the 9000. I just want to know if it is a good idea for me.
    Most in my office are treo 650 users. I've been on the treo now for about 3.5 yrs, 300, 600, 650.

This is the first phone I've considered a treo killer. Through my Cincular business account I can trade my 650 for a E62 out of pocket is in the $20 range. Clearly Cingular is looking to get this phone out on the market.

We got our first one today, very sweet device. Amazing screen, true no camera or wifi, but the apps are quite robust. I'll finally truely have MS office on my widget.

and it is a quad band/edge phone - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE Technology

I've been a treo evangelist forever, but I've had enough of the crappy BT, and the reboots. It will take some getting used to the new os, but I was a nokia user before palm.....

Wish me luck .... I'm going in!
    For $200, it's a very good quad band phone.

I hope I don't have to wait too long for it to drop to 200.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    R U talking about the N62? It currently is $149 after $50 MIR at www.cingular.com. I just oredered one from my Premier account for $179 w/o rebate after having a bad experience with the Nokia 9300.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast